Heated Pants & Gloves? Options?

I was looking to buy some heated clothing, but wasn't sure what I really was in need of.

I have a Shift Street Fighter jacket and scorpion textile pants, and Shift jeans. No matter how many sweatshirts, under armor I wear, I can't stay warm!

I decided to get some heated gear. I was looking at these products.

(Torso)
  1. Gerbing's Heated Jacket Liner

(Pants)

1. Tour Master Synergy Electric Heated Full Pant Liner
  2. Tour Master Synergy Heated Pant Liner - 2011

What I currently wear for pants is as follows...

• Scorpion Deuce Pants W/ Forcefield Pro Pants (full armored pants)
or

• Shift Lockdown Jeans W/ Forcefield Pro Pants

I am able to wear 2 pairs of long johns under the scorpion pants WITH the armored pants as well. I want to eliminate all the pairs of long johns and just use a heated liner or some sort with either the scorpion pants or the jeans (with my armored pants on either pick).

I was thinking to get the full pant from Tour master only because if I'm wearing them with my jeans...well the jeans breathe really well I'd imagine and if I'm in the really cold temperatures, maybe I don't want air hitting the unheated portions of my legs?

What type of heated pants do you think would go well with my setup?

Also, if someone could recommend some waterproof heated gloves that aren't crazy expensive, please let me know.

Last edited:

DavidB455

Hi, I have the Keis heated stuff for Scotland and it works a treat. The sad thing is they dont do heated bottoms. Their heated gloves and jacket work a treat. Its a simple connection to the bike and then your away. They get really warm, the jacket especially. Keis do over gloves as well, not used them but they could be worth a look no?

David

I'll take a look at gloves, not sure where i can try them on.

Has anyone tried the pants I mentioned, or has a suggestion for what I'm looking for?

oldtouring b

Consider this--

If you have the Gerbing's liner and gloves you should be warm. I am concerned that the alternator will not have enough output to drive the pants also.

If your core is warm then the engine heat will keep your legs warm.

There is some good used gear on the internet right now. If you are sure on your size, you can save around 35%.

Make sure your pants are non-mesh and think about adding a polartec liner. There is a ebayer that makes tops and bottoms to your size for very little money. Also if your winter pants have a rain liner that works well.

Remember ice and bikes don't get along..

My scorpion pants are waterproof. Wind is not an issue. I rode in 45F at 70-75mph and my pants were only "OK" because I was wearing 2 pairs of long johns. It took the edge off my kneecaps, but I wasn't comfortable.

I'm most likely only going to ride down to about 35-40F.

To eliminate one of the possibilities of straining the alternator, couldn't I get one of the 3 pieces I'm heating (core, pants, gloves) turned into a battery operated piece? Example: buy battery operated gloves and heat the core and pants via battery?

Last edited:

oldtouring b

Maybe could work..

I have tried the battery gloves. They were big and clumsy with the batteries attached. If you are not riding everyday to work and back, think about trying the heat packets that Walmart sells. Just shake and insert inside your gloves. They work well for 4 hours. And they are cheap.

I need a new set of gloves anyway. The ones I have are Olympia and are super thin. They are made for summer riding. The air goes right through the fingertips. I road with them in 45 degree weather in RAIN.. My hands were warmer with bare hands on the handlebars hah. Needless to say, my gloves were soaked.

I don't know if this is normal or not, but I bought the Gerbings heated full liner jacket and I don't feel terribly warm.

I had the temperature controller up all the way and my core just feels "OK".

I am wearing a Shift SS Streetfighter jacket and that was it. It's waterproof and it keeps the wind out very well on its own. Could it be that my main jacket just isn't insulted enough to allow the heated liner to retain more heat?

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member
I am tapped directly off the battery. I also have a 10 amp fuse in it even though the manual say it draws 6 approx amps.

The temperature controller isn't made by Gerbings. My dad took it off his BMW to test mine out.

I really haven't got a clue as to what's wrong.

Bloke

Try the proper temperature controller. Given that it's the thing that controls the temperature.

You also want the correct rated fuse.

Putting overrated fuses in kit is no better than having a freaking straight wire, I wouldn't be surprised if with a 10amp fuse the wiring itself would melt before the fuse triggered.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Try the proper temperature controller. Given that it's the thing that controls the temperature.

You also want the correct rated fuse.

Putting overrated fuses in kit is no better than having a freaking straight wire, I wouldn't be surprised if with a 10amp fuse the wiring itself would melt before the fuse triggered.

I couldn't put a lower fuse in, since I'm going to be running Gerbings gloves too.

I may experiment with the jacket minus the controller. I only tried the jacket without the controller for a few minutes. I'll try it again.

Bloke

You'll be pulling more than 10 amps under normal operating conditions?

10 amp fuses don't blow at 10 amps, minimum breaking current is normally 3 to 4 times that so it'll break at closer to 40 amps.

So using a process of elimination...

1. You've wired directly to the battery so it's not the wiring.

2. You've got an overrated fuse so it's not blown

3. You're using a temperature controller from a different manufacturer

4. You're wearing the jacket.

Out of the 4 things, the only one that makes sense is the temperature controller, didn't the jacket come with it's own means of controlling temp?

Unless you're not wearing the jacket? ;) or it's a faulty unit completely.

I'll try it out when I get home in a few hours without the temp controller. I really don't wanna drive 45 minutes to to the dealer that sold it to me.

Hey guys, I exchanged my Gerbings liner today. I tested my jacket at the dealer with their liner and truthfully speaking, they both seem to heat up about the same. I decided to go one size smaller just so it would be a tighter fit and I'd feel the heat more.

So, it looks like nothing is wrong with it. I'm wondering if my jacket just doesn't retain a lot of heat like Mike's Leather jacket on its own.

I was giving the option to buy a Gerbings heated jacket for $379 instead, but I opted to stay with just the liner.

Last edited:

What do you guys wear for pants in the cold?

Does anyone have a heated pant liner? I wanted to get a full pant liner, but I can't seem to find enough reviews to sway me to one product.

Last edited: