Headlight Upgrade

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
:thumbup::thumbup:

MikeN02

Question, My kit came in today and I noticed there were two ballast.. I have no idea how to install this thing and the instructions don't help that much...

So do I have to use both ballast or just one?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Question, My kit came in today and I noticed there were two ballast.. I have no idea how to install this thing and the instructions don't help that much...

That would be a question that cbzdel could answer, but he hasn't been online in a week. Send him a PM and he might be able to help you out.

MikeN02

Anyone else have a hole in the shape of a rectangle next to the bulb? On the reflector chrome thing inside the headlight.

xplodnstar

You just need one. If they are attached (mine were), they suggested just cutting one off.

MikeN02

You just need one. If they are attached (mine were), they suggested just cutting one off.
I just installed it with both. My Hi and Low beams work, I think if you just install one then it's just the Low Beam.

The little white/black connector is the switch btw.

Roaddawg

Finally! Finished after 6 hours!
It took you six hours?! I had gotten the impression it was a little harder than changing the bulb and mounting the ballast. Was it more involved? I've been contemplating this mod for awhile. You still doing a how-to write up for this?

Last edited:

pyrocpu

It took me about the same... though given quite a few breaks for personal vices... :D

I took my time, had nothing else going on anyway, tucked as much wiring away as possible, etc. The wiring I got in my DDM kit was barely long enough to run from the batt up towards the front of the bike to mount bits. Even so, it was a bit challenging.

Paid off, for sure, now I just gotta re-aim my headlights... hopefully I don't have to remove all those fairings again?

xplodnstar

I just installed it with both. My Hi and Low beams work, I think if you just install one then it's just the Low Beam.

The little white/black connector is the switch btw.
You must have gotten a different model of light, then. Mine is one bulb that moves forward to re-focus as the hi-beam.

Glad you got it working.

Roaddawg

Paid off, for sure, now I just gotta re-aim my headlights... hopefully I don't have to remove all those fairings again?
Use a 5/16" (or a 8mm I think) socket and you can reach the up/down adjustment without removing anything. It looks like a dull quarter with a 5/16" nut in the middle. I was able to hand adjust it grabbing onto the socket. I just raised mine up a bit. I put my bike on the rear stand and put up a piece of tape at the top of where the light beam is before adjusting to give me the starting point. I then adjusted the beam line to about 1 inch about the tape for starters. Tomorrow when I ride in the early morning darkness, I'll see if that was enough for me.

pyrocpu

Use a 5/16" (or a 8mm I think) socket and you can reach the up/down adjustment without removing anything. It looks like a dull quarter with a 5/16" nut in the middle. I was able to hand adjust it grabbing onto the socket. I just raised mine up a bit. I put my bike on the rear stand and put up a piece of tape at the top of where the light beam is before adjusting to give me the starting point. I then adjusted the beam line to about 1 inch about the tape for starters. Tomorrow when I ride in the early morning darkness, I'll see if that was enough for me.
Thanks! I'll give that a go tomorrow. I took the day off for tomorrow so I can go riding... ALL DAY LONG. :)

MikeN02

It took you six hours?! I had gotten the impression it was a little harder than changing the bulb and mounting the ballast. Was it more involved? I've been contemplating this mod for awhile. You still doing a how-to write up for this?
Yeah just about, from 3:34 PM to 9:17. Was dark by the time I tried to put my fairings back on.

Hard part was taking off the dash fairings, as it was my first time. Usually I only took off the side fairings for my mods. It's not more work, you really just change the bulb and mount the ballast, but you also want to hide the extra long wires you give you and route the wires from the front of the bike back to where the batteries are.

I would have done a write up but I didn't have my camera with me.

Also, being a nooob, while taking off the screw for the battery. I used a socket wrench and started turning and all of a sudden sparks few out everywhere! I was started shitless... then I did it again and noticed I was hitting a metal part on the bike! Lmao. So I used a philips head.

Kleinfalls

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Update...

Just so everyone knows, I am close to moving forward with retrofitting a projector into our headlight housing. I have some donor headlights, and I have ordered the projectors. I am hoping that everything will be here by the weekend so I can get started.

Here is a link to follow the progress once I get everything in.
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/what-about-projector-project-16297/

xplodnstar

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member