Headlight Upgrade

Comiha22

All, wondering if anyone has upgraded their stock headlight without going the HID conversion way. If so, what brand/model did you get, and how do you like it?

Trying to decide between the HID conversion and a simple upgraded bulb-switch.

cbzdel

I got a 35watt 6000k HID from DDM tuning, and it has been my favorite mod to date, increased the lighting by 100%!!

xplodnstar

+1.

Although I got a different model, DDM has great pricing and it was easy to install. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Increased my visibility on the road by 100% too.

Heineken

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

cbzdel

My LED doesnt hace any sort of green tint to it, I have the DDM 35watt 6000k HID.. It the same color when viewing it from any angle. Seems strange, do you have any sort of lenses coating (3m film?) on your headlight to protect from rock chips or anything??

You might want to contact DDM and see what they think.

xplodnstar

I haven't noticed any color difference either.

It's certainly worth a try to ask the DDM guys. They were really cool when I went down there to pick up my kits. They even showed me their server rack when we got to talking about computers. :)

toastmaster

For those with the DDM HID kit, have you heard from friends that the light blinds them in the rear-view mirror? Since bikes' lights are higher off the ground, the last thing I want is to blind and piss off a guy I'm following.

cbzdel

For those with the DDM HID kit, have you heard from friends that the light blinds them in the rear-view mirror? Since bikes' lights are higher off the ground, the last thing I want is to blind and piss off a guy I'm following.
I left my headlight as is, I probably could aim it down more but I have never been flashed by oncoming traffic before, nor has anyone I followed complained. I have had 2-3 people pull off the road who were in from of me before, they seem to always be senior drivers driving OLD cars, other than that no problems..

Seems like my high beam is next to worthless anymore though, it starts to shine where the low beam ends, so unless I have a 20 mile straight away its a waste of time to use it hah! (meaning I could of saved $20 or so by not ordering the dual beam HID kit)

does anybody tried to install projector for their HID?
if it was a drop in thing I am sure many would, this mod would require much work to achieve though. I dont think anyone wants to crack open their headlight and cut into it for a "i hope this works" :D

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
does anybody tried to install projector for their HID?
I am planning on doing it. I am just waiting for a donor headlight to verify clearance and fitment.

cbzdel

I am planning on doing it. I am just waiting for a donor headlight to verify clearance and fitment.
what projector do you plan on using?

personally if I ever did this mod I would use a OEM headlight off a motorcycle or a car, I have had really back luck with poor cut off lines on aftermarket projectors.

JonKerr

Elite Member

cbzdel

6000 is harder to see in crappy weather so be warned in advance.. It was really foggy out and the 6000 kinda just blends into the fog, and hardly helps.. In the rain it kinda does the same thing.

I put 5000k in the wifes car and it seems to work ALOT better, but the color difference is very noticeable, hers are almost all white.

vitrox

i have a headlight with some scratches on it i'll sell for anyone wanting to retrofit, the lens has scratches but they can probably be taken out with that plastic polish.

i'm putting 10watt led lights on mine. one for high, one for low.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
what projector do you plan on using?

personally if I ever did this mod I would use a OEM headlight off a motorcycle or a car, I have had really back luck with poor cut off lines on aftermarket projectors.
I plan on just getting an H4 dual beam projector from ebay. Some of them come with all the wiring and ballasts, so I would just need to pull apart the housing, get it in and back together, then figure out the wiring. But I should be able to follow the method from our sister site that Boneman and several others used.

njdan

+1.

Although I got a different model, DDM has great pricing and it was easy to install. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Increased my visibility on the road by 100% too.
What kit did you buy from DDM? and how long did it take to install?

NineseveN

I left my headlight as is, I probably could aim it down more but I have never been flashed by oncoming traffic before, nor has anyone I followed complained. I have had 2-3 people pull off the road who were in from of me before, they seem to always be senior drivers driving OLD cars, other than that no problems..

Seems like my high beam is next to worthless anymore though, it starts to shine where the low beam ends, so unless I have a 20 mile straight away its a waste of time to use it hah! (meaning I could of saved $20 or so by not ordering the dual beam HID kit)
So, if you had to do it all over again, you'd skip the hi-beam setup?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
So, if you had to do it all over again, you'd skip the hi-beam setup?
The only problem with not using a dual-beam setup is that you completely lose the high beam. And since we only have one bulb, you would be forced to use the low beam all the time. Not a problem if you never use the high beam, but I like to have the option if the need arises.

Pizz

What is the bulb type on the FZ6R? (H_) -

Edit - Nevermind, I did a search and found it in another thread (H4). Thanks!

Last edited: