LED Replacement Bulbs

Jerzee55

I wanted to replace my turn signals and tail light with LED bulbs, rather than buying entire assemblies that I don't find add much in the way of appearance to the bike. The big orange blobs seem 'visible' and I wanted to make them even brighter. Not sure if they are actually brighter, but they are now LEDs. I had already replaced my headlight with and LED bulb, and figured, why not keep going.

In any event, translating the Yamaha part numbers to standard automotive ones was not obvious (to me), and I ended up ordering some bulbs that were incorrect, which coincidentally fit the tail light. All the bulbs I ordered were made my Auxito, ordered on Ebay. The tail light was an Auxito 7443 7440 6500K White Canbus bulb, with a narrow base that fit into the tail light socket slot, and work in either orientation. Rear turn signal bulbs were 1156 7506 LED reverse 6000K white, bayonet base, single bottom contact that fit the twist in bayonet base in the rear. The front turn signals were 1157 Reverse Tail light LED, 6500K white, offset bayonet base bulbs, two contacts on the bottom, that twist in (one way only) to the front turn signals.

I also replaced the turn signal relay with another Ebay buy, a 2-pin 12V Electronic LED Flasher Relay, stamped with a part number of LF1-S-PIN, MAX 150W (rating) that is potted, with a twisted lead, covered in protective plastic tubing, that ends in a connector compatible with our current relay. Literally a disconnect and remove the old one, and snap in the new one, that fits into the same rubber mounting as the original. Shop around on Ebay, or elsewhere, as Amazon and others carry the identical part, for a wide range of prices, that varied as much as twice what I paid for mine. They are a 'fixed' flash rate, similar to original, unlike a similar variable flash rate product available elsewhere, for three times the price.

Hopefully this may help anyone else who wants to simply replace their incandescent bulbs with LEDs, rather than buy new assemblies, or even replace the incandescent bulbs in their turn signals with standard automotive replacement ports available locally, rather than a trip to the dealership. There is also the part about the price of a pair of LEDs costing less than the list price at the dealership for a replacement incandescent bulb, but that is probably not the reason to go LEDs. :)

tdnathens

(Jerzee55) Your LED bulbs don't appear brighter because you used used the wrong color (white) bulbs. When changing to LED bulbs you must use the same color bulb as the lens it's going into. Need to order red for the tail light and amber for the turn signals. When you do this you will find they they are at least twice as bright. White LED bulbs just wash out the color of lens designed for incandescent bulbs because they don't use the reflector.
(half-click up) The LED I used for my headlight is no longer sold. If I was changing bulbs today it would be the Ultra 10.0 LED headlight bulb sold by Cylops Adventure Sports. I have changed both of my bikes headlights to LED bulbs. They are so much brighter. If you ride at night it's a game changer.
Tom

Jerzee55

(Jerzee55) Your LED bulbs don't appear brighter because you used used the wrong color (white) bulbs. When changing to LED bulbs you must use the same color bulb as the lens it's going into. Need to order red for the tail light and amber for the turn signals. When you do this you will find they they are at least twice as bright. White LED bulbs just wash out the color of lens designed for incandescent bulbs because they don't use the reflector.
(half-click up) The LED I used for my headlight is no longer sold. If I was changing bulbs today it would be the Ultra 10.0 LED headlight bulb sold by Cylops Adventure Sports. I have changed both of my bikes headlights to LED bulbs. They are so much brighter. If you ride at night it's a game changer.
Tom
The LEDs I used radiate light in all directions, and do in fact use the reflectors. While filters will in fact filter out wavelengths not identical to the filter, they will do the same with any bulb, including those of the 'same color', as the color of the bulb and filter are seldom a perfect match. Without going through the hassle of measuring illumination before and after, I am not willing to state that the LEDs are brighter, or are not. They appear brighter to me, but that may be because I spent money to install them. :)

The LED headlight I installed some time ago is much brighter in both low and high beams, and also radiates to the sides to use the reflector. Many LED headlights are not well designed to use the reflectors, and I have seen many people complain about their performance. Many swear the Cyclops bulbs provide excellent performance, but they are very pricey. I used Sealight H4 LEDs that I found on Amazon, and got a pair for under $50, and they are currently cheaper, and put one in each of two bikes.

Jerzee55

Hey, out of curiosity, which LED headlight did you go with and what are your thoughts on its performance?
Sealight H4 360 degree LEDs. There are a number of different versions.. but the ones I have radiate in two (or three, don't remember now) directions. The installation is tricky, but I got it installed without removing any of the headlight assembly. It is tricky to snap on the spring bracket. I installed the rubber boot on the LED first, and eventually got everything snapped into place. :) Sore fingers, but it worked. :)

Half-Click Up

Sealight H4 360 degree LEDs. There are a number of different versions.. but the ones I have radiate in two (or three, don't remember now) directions. The installation is tricky, but I got it installed without removing any of the headlight assembly. It is tricky to snap on the spring bracket. I installed the rubber boot on the LED first, and eventually got everything snapped into place. :) Sore fingers, but it worked. :)
Wow they're priced very nicely on Amazon, thanks for the info!