Gun Talk Thread

cbzdel

I figure sports is a place for this kinda thread...

I got a few guns that I just bought in the past few weeks, and a little story on each.

Hi Point C9 (9mm pistol)
I only bought this because it was so cheap, I paid $170 cash for it, no tax if I paid cash, plus the 9mm ammo is so cheap to shoot (compared to other calibers), then I put a universal Houge grip on it and made it alot more comfortable. Plus made in the USA and has a no questions asked lifetime warranty..

Hi Point 995 (9mm carbine)
I seen this gun and thought "Well since I now have a 9mm why not get something else, but different that can use the same ammo"... I spend WAY to much on the 995 and was SEVERELY ripped off. After thinking about it, I wish I didnt buy it, I have no need for an assault style rifle... So I am thinking about trading it in and taking a MAJOR loss on it.. I found out MSRP is only $220ish on them, but dealers on the east cost and south are selling them for around $180 and include spare clips and sometimes a scope.. Saddly I didnt research before I bought one, and I called every dealer in western Washington and only 2 had them in stock and 1 was $360 and one was $300.. I bought the $300 one, then I turned around and ordered the ATI stock for it. So I have about $400 total invested into this gun and I have not even shot it yet, and am questioning why I bought it haha!!

Ruger 10/22 (22lr rifle) w/ a cheap 4x scope
The 10/22 I will be more than happy with, I am a HUGE fan of 22's because they are so cheap to shoot, and the 10/22 has a TON of mods which I can play around with, I bought it at WalMart for $230, which was an average of $40-$60 cheaper than most local gun shops..

If I trade in the Hi Point 9mm Carbine, I think I might try to straight trade for a Hi Point 0.45 or 0.380.. (since I am guessing I will get next to nothing for my trade in)

Note: I know there is alot of debate about Hi Point but I am just using these as a hobby. I will sell off the Hi Points one day and get guns that are metal framed, as a personal preference.. I figure if its a quality metal frame gun then I can hand it down to my grand kids one day hahah!

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Carry a G26 9mm Glock or my .357 magnum Ruger SP101

Also have:

Benelli Supernova Tactical 12g pump
30.06 Savage rifle
and a little single shot bolt action 22 rifle.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Don't give up on polymer framed guns. I love my Springfield Armory XDM chambered in the lovely .40 S&W! :rockon: This is actually my carry sidearm. I CC and OC this baby whenever I get the chance. Some people may say that it's a rather large firearm to conceal, but I can do it no problem, even with my skinny @$$. LOL

I have a set of Meprolight night sights on it, but I have to get the local gun shop to buy me a replacement set. When they installed them, they damaged the front sight, so it no longer glows. This will be the 4th set of night sights ordered because they keep damaging them. This next go around, I will be installing them myself. :mad:

I'm also rocking a Browning Light 12 ga. shotgun and a Ruger M77 Mark II rifle in .280 Remington.

cbzdel

What do you guys think?? I really have no point to own a 9mm carbine.. Think its a fair trade to trade my 9mm carbine for say the 0.380 or .45 Hi Point pistol..

I dont want to make to many expensive mistakes haha...

Next guns on my to buy list..
1) Ruger MarkIII .22lr
2) Possibly a second Ruger 10/22 to mod the heck out and and maybe get into rim fire comps, possibly...
3) Ruger 22 Charger I think its pretty sweet looking, but probably wont ever get it
3) 1911 in .45 (I want a full size all stainless frame, but still not sure on which brand)

I was thinking about getting a tactical style shot gun for home defense but part of me is thinking the 1911 or whatever other handguns I have will be enough, maybe someone can school me..

Then down the road possibly trade in the Hi Point 9mm and if I have a second Hi Point for a better CC weapon, the smaller the better because I would take it on motorcycle trips, but strong enough and holding enough rounds to take on backpacking trips though the mountains..

Personally like I said I am just a huge 22 fan mainly because of fun factor vs. cost, (just as fun as a big gun but only cost $20 for 500 rounds haha) I can see myself owning more 22's than anything else..

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Take your carbine down to a pawn shop or gun store and see what they will offer you for it. If they have what you want as well, you might be able to negotiate a better price/deal for it. You could also list it on gunbroker.com; it's like the ebay of firearms. If none of that works, some gun shops will sell it on consignment, usually for 10% or $50, whichever is higher.

The 1911's are sweet! Definitely won't be disappointed, just a little light in the wallet after buying one. :rolleyes:

area

I have a Beretta PX-4 Storm, I love this gun and the way it feels. I have my concealed permit but it's a rather large gun to conceal.

I'd like to get a subcompact .45 to carry around. I'm a fan of the .22 because its fun to shoot and its CHEAP...I almost got a P22 just for that reason.

angelsneverlose

i have for rifles;
Bushmater AR-15 in 5.56 set up for long distance
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Sig Sauer SSG3000
old winchester lever action 243 w/ peep sight

for pistols i have (all 9mm);
Sig p226
Sig P250
HK P2000sk (my carry weapon)

Funkmaxtor

Glock 23 .40Cal.

Only have 4 shots out of it but love the gun so far!

Senaca

No guns here in Canada... but 4 years of muy thai kick boxing puts me ahead of the next guy.. :rolleyes:

:canada:

O-turn

Partier
S&W .40 at my reach if you decide to enter my house uninvited. Really want a Mossberg Shotty, 1 rake and someone peein themselves!

btastarsky

CBZDEL:

Dont buy another high point. Your best bet would be to take the hit on the carbine and the pistol and get something decent. If you wanna stick with a polymer frame, get a Springfield XD in .45. Not sure how much they are in your area, but over here in PA I see them for $545 with the XD gear package (case, cleaning tools, 2 magazines, holster, and mag carrier). If you want a 1911, I would also recommend a Springfield. For the most bang for your buck, the Springfield 1911 Loaded is the best. It gets you a nite sights, case, 2 mags, right handed holster, double mag carrier and 2 cleaning tools. Cost for mine was $759. Only thing the Loaded doesn't have is an accessory rail. Another good gun to look at is the Sig Sauer P250. It has interchangeable frames and barrels, comes in 9mm, .40, and .45 with nite sights for around $800. It may sound expensive, but as my seargent told me one day "In a gun fight the best ain't none to good." Dont bet your life on cheap stuff that may not work right when you need it to. But dont waste your money either on overpriced customs. Sig, Springfield, Glock, and Smith are all reliable and affordable.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

cbzdel

CBZDEL:

Dont buy another high point. Your best bet would be to take the hit on the carbine and the pistol and get something decent. If you wanna stick with a polymer frame, get a Springfield XD in .45. Not sure how much they are in your area, but over here in PA I see them for $545 with the XD gear package (case, cleaning tools, 2 magazines, holster, and mag carrier). If you want a 1911, I would also recommend a Springfield. For the most bang for your buck, the Springfield 1911 Loaded is the best. It gets you a nite sights, case, 2 mags, right handed holster, double mag carrier and 2 cleaning tools. Cost for mine was $759. Only thing the Loaded doesn't have is an accessory rail. Another good gun to look at is the Sig Sauer P250. It has interchangeable frames and barrels, comes in 9mm, .40, and .45 with nite sights for around $800. It may sound expensive, but as my seargent told me one day "In a gun fight the best ain't none to good." Dont bet your life on cheap stuff that may not work right when you need it to. But dont waste your money either on overpriced customs. Sig, Springfield, Glock, and Smith are all reliable and affordable.
You cant knock a hi point until you have owned one.. I went to the range the other day and wasted a bunch of money haha.. I ran 1000 rounds though my HiPoint C9 without a single problem.. Funny thing was I was with a buddy who had a Beretta 9mm and he shot 50 rounds and had (2) jams...

Hi point gets great reviews in gun magazines, its just people see the price tag and think its crap.. When they truth is they are not as bad as you think..

These are not the first guns I have owned.. I used to own larger brand pistols such as, Taurus, Glock, Beretta, Sig and S&W and they all the issues, all guns have an occasion hick up. and SO far my HiPoint C9 could hand with all of the rest.. ( I no long own any of those guns because I ran into financial problems years ago and sold them all)

But no I am selling the HiPOint 995 for $200 and acutally using that cash as to go towards a Ruger Mark III Hunter Long Barrel.. I am keeping the C9 and just getting some 22's and then the 1911 down the road...

cbzdel

I bought the Ruger Mark III Hunter Long Barrel tonight, its all stainless with dark good grips.. Now I just have the 10 day wait :(

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats!

:thumbup:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

fz6rwolf

S&W .40 at my reach if you decide to enter my house uninvited. Really want a Mossberg Shotty, 1 rake and someone peein themselves!
There is one sound everyone knows even if they know nothing about guns and that's the sound of a pump action shotgun being chambered. If that doesn't scare an intruder off may as well toss a grenade LOL.

angelsneverlose

im about to purchase a Savage FCP 10 HS to build another 500-800yards beast:eek::D (the other being my Sig SSG3000 which can reach 1000+:thumbup:)

now the question remains that ive been thinking about; with the higher cost of ammo, should i buy the Savage in .308 allowing me to reach out to 800yards, or should i buy it in 5.56 (they do have this, i have asked!), and share the 3000rds i have sitting around form my AR's and just built a <500yard beast?:surrender::confused:
what you all think??:confused:

Stricken

I have owned many guns.
First gun was a CZ 75 BD. From then on I got other guns"
-Springfield XD 45 Tactical
-Glock 26
-Springfield XD 9 Service Model
-Colt .45 Custom (bought it and had custom nickel plating and stuff on it)
-Beretta 92FS
-Sig Sauer P6
-Sig Sauer P220 ST
-Sig Sauer P228
-GSG Rifle
-GSG Handgun
-Walther PPS 9mm
-Ruger LCP
-12 Ga. Maverick Pump
-Bersa .380
-Para Ordnance 1911 SSp

You guys can see some of the guns in my online gallery. Guns Photo Gallery by Alvin Leyva at pbase.com

Last edited: