derestrict lams bike question

Neo

I will start with this. I take no responsibly on what you do or ideas you take from this post or any other. i will be using this mod on the race track and road laws do not apply there. but moding your bike will void your insurance and riding on public roads may void your Rego and you maybe fined for riding the bike.

Ok so this is the part the Restricts the bike for Lams. the Bottom Right Tab stops the Throttle from opening up killing off power at about 6k-7k Rev's and starves the bike of air.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk107/jungo888/IMG_20111126_133131.jpg

I spoke to a Yamaha dealer and i was told that Yamaha will not sell this part any more because people are cutting the tab down. they only sell it with the Whole Throttle setup costing $2500. But I know you can get this plate online for about $140.

I however am lucky enough to have a Fitter Mechanist in the Family and he took my stock Plate and quickly and made me a draft unrestricted plate. its not Pretty but it gets the job done.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk107/jungo888/IMG_20111126_173156.jpg

The Bike is so Much different it feels like a whole new bike the power is locked away by 3mm of steel. IMO the stock bike is a little bit to Restricted.

As my bike is new and not ran in 100% i did not take it over 7k rev's but I can tell you now 1.5k - 7k Rev's on restricted bike is alot different to the 1.5k - 7k Rev's Unrestricted that extra air makes a hell of alot of difference.
my advice is to go very easy and throttle it out in higher gears so you get use to the power difference and move down from there.

I will Sketch a patten from the Stock Restricted plate if anyone is interested. and you can do what you want with the info from there.

Please Ride Smart and Ride Safe.

:aus:

Bert-Aus

XJ6S Graphite

Hi Johan,
Just a quick question where did you get your derestriction part from? my bike is also an 09 xj6s graphite black have over 3000ks now been to tassie had a ball
cheers skeeny
***RETRACTION*** Just found out that as of 2011 model XJ6S are only LAMS at point of sale -my apologies

Last edited:

Neo

I just want to add if your going to make the plate the same you can take about 5 -7mm more off. bike was limited to 185 took the extra few mm off and have had it to 200.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Neo

Thanks Marthy your website is very cool btw. does the NKG improve the bike in anyway stock? or does that all come down to tune?

Dan McLean

Just had my FZ6R serviced for the first time. The Yanmaha owner of the dealership told me that you can unrestrict it and it is perfectly legal providing you are not under driving restrictions. The warrenty is not affected as you are not modifying the bike in any way, all you are doing is unlocking the restriction to make it the same as any other unrestricted bike. Changing mufflers etc would invalid it, but simply unrestricting it is not increasing the bike over its normal operating power. You maye have to inform your insurance though. Not sure how it works in other countries but in Australia it is perfectly legal.

Neo

Dan from what i found out is that the bike fails ADR law because you are modding the bike. and the bike was not registered with that mod.

Mitch21

Dan from what i found out is that the bike fails ADR law because you are modding the bike. and the bike was not registered with that mod.
Yeh, you have to re-register as a unrestricted 600 and not lams approved anymore, even if you have full license.

Dan McLean

Yeh, you have to re-register as a unrestricted 600 and not lams approved anymore, even if you have full license.
Indeed you have to change the registration as an unrestricted, forgot to mention this,. But as long as you are licenced to drive it you are fine, and does not affect warrenty. It is a good idea to keep the old part to re-instal it if you want to trade it in for another bike as it is worth more restricted.

fazed

FZ6R not for sale in W.A.

Hey guys not sure if anyone knows this the FZ6R isn't not sold in W.A at all!! Spoke to some one from customer relations from Yamaha Aust. and they said said it is a lams bike only. W.A has no lams program, you must ride a 250 for a year, so Yamaha has decided not to sell the FZ6R here. Really dumb decision as they sell the XJ6S here unrestricted and so does every other manufacturer with their lams models. They said they would be happy to sell the motorcycle to anyone who wants to order one in the west. My question is does anyone know if they would keep the restrictions on? I spoke to Dept MV over here and said it would be no problem in unrestricting the bike and licensing here, just need to unlicence and then re license here. Saw that some people have un restricted their bikes with the kit from resart, does it really give the bike it's full potential back? Does anyone know of good and inexpensive shippers of motorcycles, if so ballpark figures please? And finally is the throttle plate the only restriction on the bike?

fazed

Hey guys not sure if anyone knows this the FZ6R isn't not sold in W.A at all!! Spoke to some one from customer relations from Yamaha Aust. and they said said it is a lams bike only. W.A has no lams program, you must ride a 250 for a year, so Yamaha has decided not to sell the FZ6R here. Really dumb decision as they sell the XJ6S here unrestricted and so does every other manufacturer with their lams models. They said they would be happy to sell the motorcycle to anyone who wants to order one in the west. My question is does anyone know if they would keep the restrictions on? I spoke to Dept MV over here and said it would be no problem in unrestricting the bike and licensing here, just need to unlicence and then re license here. Saw that some people have un restricted their bikes with the kit from resart, does it really give the bike it's full potential back? Does anyone know of good and inexpensive shippers of motorcycles, if so ballpark figures please? And finally is the throttle plate the only restriction on the bike?
Just as another quick update spoke with my insurance company and they said they will insure a unrestricted FZ6R so long as it was legal and they don't consider it a modification. In other words so long as you have your full license and have the bike licensed as full a 600cc no probs. I guess this will depend on which state you live in and how the the cops will view the unrestriction, hope this helps.

Reaver

if I lived down there, I'd be fighting these laws (as in working to get them repealed)... I just checked them out.... while the intention is good, it's not up to the government to force you to be safe, what's next down there, you can't walk until you've crawled for at least four years?:confused: (was looking at all the restrictions they put on car licenses as well, :eek:).

bad news is, it looks like if you are forced to ride a LAM bike... and you modify it such that it no longer meets the requirements of LAM , the insurance companies automatically get a free pass to not pay out any damages, while you are still liable.... so if you guys go down this path, there are consequences.

for anyone else's reading pleasure (or disgust)
Approved motorcycles for novice riders
Perfect example of why the second amendment is important. Take it away and ^^^^^ is what we get. Laws nobody wants and they break anyway.

I'm ordering that plate btw. Now.

Sneakynuts

I know this is an old thread but the FZ6R is now on the WA LAMs list

Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS)

Grizzly

First time post here so G'day from Melbourne.

I'm in the process if de-restricting my LAMS Diversion and am going to do what you did by manufacturing a replacement plate.

I was curious to know how far the butterflies in the air stacks would turn using the plate pattern sold by Resart and the one that you have fabricated so I lifted the tank so I could watch the butterflies as I turned the disc actuated by the throttle cables.

It seems that the butterflies do not fully open with the Resart pattern which makes me wonder why they would produce a pattern that restricted the air flow this way. Most carburettors I've worked on have the butterflies fully open at wide open throttle to maximise the air flow, associated air/fuel mixture and subsequent power but this set up doesn't allow it.

I wonder if other components in the system such as exhaust, air box and valves restrict air flow such that fully open butterflies in the air stacks are wasted.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Sean

I will start with this. I take no responsibly on what you do or ideas you take from this post or any other. i will be using this mod on the race track and road laws do not apply there. but moding your bike will void your insurance and riding on public roads may void your Rego and you maybe fined for riding the bike.

Ok so this is the part the Restricts the bike for Lams. the Bottom Right Tab stops the Throttle from opening up killing off power at about 6k-7k Rev's and starves the bike of air.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk107/jungo888/IMG_20111126_133131.jpg

I spoke to a Yamaha dealer and i was told that Yamaha will not sell this part any more because people are cutting the tab down. they only sell it with the Whole Throttle setup costing $2500. But I know you can get this plate online for about $140.

I however am lucky enough to have a Fitter Mechanist in the Family and he took my stock Plate and quickly and made me a draft unrestricted plate. its not Pretty but it gets the job done.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk107/jungo888/IMG_20111126_173156.jpg

The Bike is so Much different it feels like a whole new bike the power is locked away by 3mm of steel. IMO the stock bike is a little bit to Restricted.

As my bike is new and not ran in 100% i did not take it over 7k rev's but I can tell you now 1.5k - 7k Rev's on restricted bike is alot different to the 1.5k - 7k Rev's Unrestricted that extra air makes a hell of alot of difference.
my advice is to go very easy and throttle it out in higher gears so you get use to the power difference and move down from there.

I will Sketch a patten from the Stock Restricted plate if anyone is interested. and you can do what you want with the info from there.

Please Ride Smart and Ride Safe.

:aus:

Grizzly

Hi All,

Made my own de-restrictor bracket last night from some scrap stainless steel that I had in the garage. I think it came from a bracket that was supposed to wall mount my dryer in the laundry and had a handy 90 degree bend already fabricated into it. The material is thinner but still plenty strong enough to resist bending when the throttle is applied.

I got a friend to help me monitor the angle of the butterflies as I actuated the throttle so that I could establish the correct 'Wide Open Throttle' stop position.

Took a couple of hours in the garage to cut, grind, drill and bend the bracket into a shape that worked and then to install.

I tested it on the way to work this morning and it works like a charm. Really happy. The pictures are of the old plate sitting beside the new and with both of them installed. It would have been a simple job to modified the existing bracket but I wanted to keep this one just in case I decide to sell the bike later as a LAMS.

Seemed like a bit of a waste to buy one delivered for $165 when I could make one myself.

Now I'd like to convert to a naked. Just need to work out how to convert the headlight mounting so that it's connected to the front forks instead of the frame and purchase some new fairing panels.

Old

Side by side

Installed

Bert-Aus

...how to convert the headlight mounting so that it's connected to the front forks instead of the frame...
Well done & Good work sir!

How does it compare being able to crack 12k with the twist of your wrist?
-I never rode a LAMS model so I don't know the feeling of restriction but I bet it feels great to unleash finally:D

In regards to your thoughts (as quoted above) the light is the same, the brackets are different as they mount slightly different.
Or should you be so inclined (as you have just proven) you can fabricate your own brackets.
Google the parts catalogue for the XJ6N, you will find what you need in there

Grizzly

Thanks Bert.

My last bike was a L2 GSXR-1000 which was stolen about 3 months back. To be honest it was a little over the top for the commute which was what I was mainly doing on it. I did two track days in the 9 months that I owned it and it was great there though.

I like the FZ6/XJ6 because it's perfect for the commute and it's also going to be brilliant for the odd trip i do each year. I'm really happy with the purchase and it was excellent today now that it's derestricted. Hell, I might even take it to the track!

With the restrictor plate on I was lucky to get 20 degrees of throttle. The only way I could accelerate briskly was by short shifting, there was absolutely nothing above about 6k.

I really like this motor and the suspension is really well suited to the road. With the wide bars i actually feel more confident tipping it into corners on the road than on the gixxer. I'm looking forward to taking it on a trip into the high country in December later this year.

Bert-Aus

Nice one, she is very easy to flick around (confidence inspiring one way of putting it)
I wrote off my XJ6S back in March this year whilst in Tassie, but picked up a SV1000S with the insurance.

Post up your trip through the high country, I will be keen to read how/ where you go
As I am heading through there after World Supers in Feb next year