derestrict lams bike question

Drewsfz6r

Here is a few links to photos of the mods I cant get the pics on here on my iPhone

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae175/miss-charlii/ccb42053.jpg
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae175/miss-charlii/735746cf.jpg
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae175/miss-charlii/394772f1.jpg
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae175/miss-charlii/54a844cb.jpg

the bike is already been derestricted... there was a fair increase in performance because I installed the exhaust, juice box and after market air filter all at the same time... Well worth the money spent

creggur

I agree with you. This is a good thing to have those kind of laws. Too many inexperience driver goes and buy a liter bike just because they can afford it. I was watching the news few month ago. There that 17 y.o. kid in a wheel chair driving around with a pop cycle in is mouth. The story goes that Daddy got him a C6 Vette for is birthday and bought him some track time at Palm Beach International Raceway so he can rip some lap without getting in too much trouble. The kid when out there, lost it and crash. Then Daddy blame the track safely and the whole tra-la-la... He had to quit is job to take care of his kid 24/7 because the poor kid can't even wipe his own ass. I wish I can meet that idiot one day and told him that he kill his kid the day he bought him a 160 MPH car. WTF he was thinking???
Saw this more than a few times when I worked for Audi. Dumba$$ parents buying $50k sport sedans and coupes for their spoiled brats who promptly wrap it around a tree or slide it off the road in a curve (and we don't even have real curves down here!)

And then come in trying to blame it on the car somehow... "The brakes just locked up," "The throttle stuck," "The traction control didn't engage like it should."

Of course all we had to do was hook up a computer and see exactly what the kid had done.
Brakes didn't lock up - your kid exceeded the tires traction with a ___G slide with the throttle pinned.

The throttle was stuck to the floor - by your kid's right foot.

The 'Traction Control' is called Quattro - it's All Wheel Drive - which means it's engaged ALL OF THE TIME! It's working fine - your child, however, is not...

Amazing how parents will go to the mat defending their own stupidity. My parents would have never paid that much for a car for a 16 year-old - if they had and I'd wrecked it....it would've been my a$$.

These laws exist because the government is trying to protect the foolish from themselves. This is, however, impossible - the truly foolish will always find a way to be foolish....

Roaddawg

Saw this more than a few times when I worked for Audi. Dumba$$ parents buying $50k sport sedans and coupes for their spoiled brats who promptly wrap it around a tree or slide it off the road in a curve (and we don't even have real curves down here!)

And then come in trying to blame it on the car somehow... "The brakes just locked up," "The throttle stuck," "The traction control didn't engage like it should."

Of course all we had to do was hook up a computer and see exactly what the kid had done.
Brakes didn't lock up - your kid exceeded the tires traction with a ___G slide with the throttle pinned.

The throttle was stuck to the floor - by your kid's right foot.

The 'Traction Control' is called Quattro - it's All Wheel Drive - which means it's engaged ALL OF THE TIME! It's working fine - your child, however, is not...

Amazing how parents will go to the mat defending their own stupidity. My parents would have never paid that much for a car for a 16 year-old - if they had and I'd wrecked it....it would've been my a$$.

These laws exist because the government is trying to protect the foolish from themselves. This is, however, impossible - the truly foolish will always find a way to be foolish....
Amen... :)

Mercenaryheart

Restrictions

I asked yamaha australia if once you had upgraded your licence if the bike could be derestricted . Their answer was no. I think this is stupid considering the price of the bike. it would be cheaper to serve out ya time on a cheap 250 then spend a couple gran extra and buy the new FZ8.

Drewsfz6r

I asked yamaha australia if once you had upgraded your licence if the bike could be derestricted . Their answer was no. I think this is stupid considering the price of the bike. it would be cheaper to serve out ya time on a cheap 250 then spend a couple gran extra and buy the new FZ8.
this bike can be derestricted... if you look back in this post there is a link to the site... i was told the same by many yamaha dealers but they were all wrong

eashleighv9

I want to derestrict my fz6r. First I get my R licence through Q-Ride that's $200.Then, I have it derestricted by Yamaha dealer, cost...no idea. Then have it registered as derestricted bike by the Transport Dep. cost...no idea, then have my insurance changed, cost...no idea?. Anybody know about the 2 years warranty?Anything else?
Thanks
ps I live in Queensland

Last edited:

Detrich

What does redistricting a bike mean?

kma_jg

What does redistricting a bike mean?
It should have been derestricting, I think.
Some bikes have a restrictor on the throttle to keep the power low enough for it be learner friendly. The throttle will only turn about a third of what it is capable of without the restrictor

seanos fz6r

My fz6r is so good to ride after derestriction courtesy of helpful links provided by members on this site, once again, thanks for those postings:)

I read on another site that I guy was told by yamaha, these bikes could be legally derestricted... also that once deretricted and registed as such it would have to remain that way, never more to be a Lam. Yamaha FZ6R Review - webBikeWorld

Anyways I think rego, insurance cost would go up??? You would think.

I'm averaging over 1000 k a month without riding it to work, probably sell it with about 50 -60000 k's on the clock :D

Last edited:

seanos fz6r

Depends on their attitude. If you don't bring it up and your warranty problem is unrelated, I think you'd be OK. If I had a prob, I'd would most likely replace restrict bracket, have prob fixed and then restore derestrict bracket. :cool:

I'm curious about the legal derestrict story I read, Its not what most people hear from Yamaha. Is there a lawyer in the house??? :D

skeeny

Hi Johan,
Just a quick question where did you get your derestriction part from? my bike is also an 09 xj6s graphite black have over 3000ks now been to tassie had a ball
cheers skeeny

kma_jg

Johnno

Learner Restriction

Hi Guys, Have looked at the FZ6R in the shop today and was told the engine and the throttle are restricted? is this true?

popeye

Hi Guys, Have looked at the FZ6R in the shop today and was told the engine and the throttle are restricted? is this true?
Yes mate its restricted but just at the throttle 150 bucks and 20min tops to fix it
search the forums and there is plenty of info on how to and where to get the part

cheech

I agree .... there should be no issue taking off the restriction once we're on our full licence ...

eashleighv9

I have asked the Department of Transport and I was told that once I get my R licence i will be able to derestrict the bike. This modification must be informed to the Deparment of Transport, and they will make the necessary changes in paper to make it legal. Not a problem.My problen is that I do not think i will be able to make figure of 8 during Qride examination, i could hardly make it on a 250cc.I ride my fz6r everyday to and from work (110 kms), and feel quite confident.

ResArt

An RGV 2 stroke is a lot more dangerous than a FZ6 deristricted.
Both road legal for learners.

My point is that the govenrment in its attempt to do the right thing is definately doing more injustice to the general population than good.

The extent of lacking power on a FZ6 is actually more dangerous imo.
It is a buch of buaracrats sitting in offices never ridden making our laws for us.

I agree some control is a good thing but this is way too much control. Any one who has ridden a restricted Fz6 knows it barely does 100klm and it takes a long time to get their. <--- DANGEROUS in my opinion

That is my 2 cents worth no offense intended.

Cheers

dcBear78

My problen is that I do not think i will be able to make figure of 8 during Qride examination, i could hardly make it on a 250cc.I ride my fz6r everyday to and from work (110 kms), and feel quite confident.
You even need to do QRide for your R? I just did mine a couple weeks ago with qld transport. Only did u-turn, emergency stop and a 5 minute ride around town. You do need an appropriate bike though. Fortunately for me my 6R was never registered as a LAMS model. I only found this out when I told him it was one and he said according to their system it wasn't.