derestrict lams bike question

seanos fz6r

Many thanks to all for your info on throttle issue guys. i have ordered the replacement part but I'm nervous about what might happen at service time. My service guy was all legal jargon when I asked him about. I live in western Sydney, if anyone knows of any dealers with a different attitude please let me know :D

Last edited:

kma_jg

Will that part fit on the XJ6 as well, do you have a link please?
One dealer I asked once said "it can be derestricted, but I won't recommend it". Wonder why...can't see that you could have any warrenty issues, 'cause you can buy unrestricted models

seanos fz6r

hi there, I didn't think the xj6s was restricted, maybe it is. There are some pretty good reasons to consider not derestricting Lams bikes. Its illegal, basically the bike rego, and insurance are legally void (don't think it would apply to warranty though), if you are caught. In my case I thought I could derestrict my fz6r once off P's.. not the case. I decided to go ahead and enjoy the bike with the full power, and fingers crossed.

Check your bike is Lams, if not it has 78hp :cool:

Here is the link if you decide you want it resart.com.au/fz6r-xj6f-derestricted-.html

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

seanos fz6r

Yeah thanks for that, seriously you make good sense. In sydney, where I live, the laws are getting very tough, but we ride motorcycles to enjoy them :cool:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

catweasel

Try Red Baron Motorcycles in Liverpool, they have a good attitude toward the derestrict. I'd say it'd be best not to bring it up and just let them service the bike.
They were also the cheapest when it came to the first 1000km service.
Mine was done at $220 after I heard from a friend who got his XJ6 done there. Everyone else was quoting $360

The part can be ordered at resart.com.au

Its a pretty easy mod to do yourself ...you'll just need the tools in your kit plus a T25 torx driver

Roaddawg

I agree with you. This is a good thing to have those kind of laws. Too many inexperience driver goes and buy a liter bike just because they can afford it. I was watching the news few month ago. There that 17 y.o. kid in a wheel chair driving around with a pop cycle in is mouth. The story goes that Daddy got him a C6 Vette for is birthday and bought him some track time at Palm Beach International Raceway so he can rip some lap without getting in too much trouble. The kid when out there, lost it and crash. Then Daddy blame the track safely and the whole tra-la-la... He had to quit is job to take care of his kid 24/7 because the poor kid can't even wipe his own ass. I wish I can meet that idiot one day and told him that he kill his kid the day he bought him a 160 MPH car. WTF he was thinking???

So I think setting standard for bike is great. But I wish this standard can apply for all vehicle. Restrictive driver license is not a bad thing, it give you time to learn in a safer way...
I believe Dart did not agree with the laws..."if I lived down there, I'd be fighting these laws (as in working to get them repealed)..." A lot of people in the States complain about our laws, but look how restrictive this LAMS law is! I guess the ol' motorcycle slogan "Freedom to Ride" doesn't really apply there.

I'd say, if you mod it, make sure you can convert it back easily enough for inspections. If you get caught with a modified LAMS bike, is it a "fix-it" ticket or is the bike put out-of-service for life?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

catweasel

I don't believe the Police could keep up with which bike is Learner legal or not.
Firstly there are many old bikes and those at 250cc that are allowed but some 250's are not because of power to weight ratio.
Then you have the feast of 600cc -650cc that are restricted in some way.
The restriction can be as easy to pick as a throttle that only moves an inch (like the FZ6R) or it could be a computer restriction to the airflow when it hits a certain rev range, like the Suzuki's.
The Police wouldnt know...it would be more an insurance assessor picking it after a bingle.....thats why I keep my part with me...easy change ..no foul.

seanos fz6r

It's clear from what people are saying riders do want to take responsibility for their own safety. The lams laws are a good thing but, the application is flawed. Bike owners should be allowed to restore the bikes to full power once on a full licence. Common sense to us, not for governments :rant:

Regarding the throttle restriction, I now have the part, is it just a matter of unscrewing two bolts and removing the old part and replacing it with the new. Or do the cables have to be removed and replaced, thanks heaps :)

kma_jg

Got my part today. I must say that the finishing of this piece of metal is not very good. It still has metal shavings on the sides and the plastic protection layer on the stainless steel shows evidence how it was melted during the manufacturing process.

It looks like something that was made in a shed over a weekend. For a $150, I think it could have been done better and they could have included some installation instructions as well.

I hope this thing fits.

seanos fz6r

only the part need changing..the cables just slip back in
Hi catweasel, I've had the cowlings off and looked at the offending bracket :rolleyes:

To fit the new bracket do I loosen the cable nuts on the old bracket, or the one on the handlebar, or both?

I want to make sure I get this right. Any thoughts would be appreciated :thumbup:

catweasel

Hi Seanos
I didnt go near the handlebars....just loosened the nuts at the end of the cable on the old part and slid the new one in then tightened..there was a little bit of difference in the final position of the nut on the thread but as long as you have the same sort of tension on the cable as when you started then all should be fine

Jonesay

yea, de restriction part is on the way, n have a verry understanding dealer, who offered to take care of it, until i told him its ok the part is already on its way...

now just debating the two bros exhaust...
Loud pipes save lives

Drewsfz6r

yea, de restriction part is on the way, n have a verry understanding dealer, who offered to take care of it, until i told him its ok the part is already on its way...

now just debating the two bros exhaust...
Loud pipes save lives
I got two brothers pipes shipped from the US $1300 shipped to my door with a juice box as well and here in aust they told me 1600 just for the pipe alone... But it's money well spent I love the sound of it now... It sounds like a much bigger bike now and everyone can hear me coming and very easy to install I done it myself in a couple of hours

kma_jg

I got two brothers pipes shipped from the US $1300 shipped to my door with a juice box as well and here in aust they told me 1600 just for the pipe alone... But it's money well spent I love the sound of it now... It sounds like a much bigger bike now and everyone can hear me coming and very easy to install I done it myself in a couple of hours
:needpics:

D'you reckon there would be an increase in performance or is just for the sound you got it?

Last edited: