DC Metro Area Meet Up - August ??

Verranth

I dont know if this is considered hijacking...but since we are talking about this weekend, I have come across something that interests me, and I may be doing, depending if we decide to meet or not.

Apparantly there is some biker ride. You need to pay $30 to register (online) and there is going to be a party afterwards. Take a look at the picture i added.

I think we were hoping to meet Saturday, right? So, even if we do meet, it wont stop me from doing this :). And, I would encourage any of you guys to come too, if you can. area - we will miss you. Have fun in Richmond.

area

Haha thanks, yeah I heard about this on the radio the other day...I wish i could go...he does it every year so I can wait til next year :(

Verranth

I'll have to check what time the babysitter is for. If its too late, the wife will probably want to wait. I should know by tomorrow.
So what's the deal? We meeting this Saturday, or are we calling it off til next week?

JSP

Super Moderator
So what's the deal? We meeting this Saturday, or are we calling it off til next week?
Well, I definitely want to. Getting my MIL (the babysitter) on the phone is a PITA. I just now called my wife (7:40am) and told her to get that woman on the phone and get a commitment of what time she is watching the kiddo.

The weather is supposed to be pretty decent, so I'd really like to get some riding in. It will most likely be early to mid afternoon when we can drop her off, then an hour for us to get back out this way. So time wise may be somewhere between 1-3pm before we could make it out here if that still works for you? I'm still just guessing right now, but wanted to make sure what times work for you. I will know for sure 100% in the next couple hours.

Verranth

Well, I definitely want to. Getting my MIL (the babysitter) on the phone is a PITA. I just now called my wife (7:40am) and told her to get that woman on the phone and get a commitment of what time she is watching the kiddo.

The weather is supposed to be pretty decent, so I'd really like to get some riding in. It will most likely be early to mid afternoon when we can drop her off, then an hour for us to get back out this way. So time wise may be somewhere between 1-3pm before we could make it out here if that still works for you? I'm still just guessing right now, but wanted to make sure what times work for you. I will know for sure 100% in the next couple hours.
Yeah. I'm single, and have nothing better to do on my weekends. :rof:

Heh, ok, In all seriousness, the early afternoon works just fine. And, it will allow me to sleep in, or play WoW or whatever before I head out. Maybe I will stop by Colgan PowerSports and take a look at their riding pants.

JSP

Super Moderator
Ok! FINALLY got a hold of her. She said we can drop her off around 1pm... So going out there, dropping her off, coming back here to get the bike and going out there to meet up with you , it will be around 3pm when we should get out there. Cool with ya? Wife will be on the back, hopefully she can stay comfortable for the ride :D

I dont know the area out there too much. I just work out there. Never really ventured around there to see whats around. I forget where you said you were at.

I work off of Church rd exit, Davis Dr. Where would you want to meet up at? I can take 50 out there, so anywhere right there on 50 and 28 crossing? Just let me know and I can google directions :cool:

Verranth

Ok! FINALLY got a hold of her. She said we can drop her off around 1pm... So going out there, dropping her off, coming back here to get the bike and going out there to meet up with you , it will be around 3pm when we should get out there. Cool with ya? Wife will be on the back, hopefully she can stay comfortable for the ride :D

I dont know the area out there too much. I just work out there. Never really ventured around there to see whats around. I forget where you said you were at.

I work off of Church rd exit, Davis Dr. Where would you want to meet up at? I can take 50 out there, so anywhere right there on 50 and 28 crossing? Just let me know and I can google directions :cool:
Do you know where the Costco is near the 50 and 28 crossing? We can meet there at 3pm. Also, its great that your wife is coming too, thought its a shame she isnt riding. I bet my gf would be on the back of my bike, but she is out of town this week.

We should decide where we want to ride first. If we're just going to ride all of 50 West, then we should probably meet somewhere else. That way, you dont have to see the same stretch of road again. Rt 15, if I recall is fairly nice, but I havent been on it in months. Any recommendataions?

JSP

Super Moderator
Do you know where the Costco is near the 50 and 28 crossing? We can meet there at 3pm. Also, its great that your wife is coming too, thought its a shame she isnt riding. I bet my gf would be on the back of my bike, but she is out of town this week.

We should decide where we want to ride first. If we're just going to ride all of 50 West, then we should probably meet somewhere else. That way, you dont have to see the same stretch of road again. Rt 15, if I recall is fairly nice, but I havent been on it in months. Any recommendataions?
Yeah, it would be nice if she would have an interest in getting her own bike. She has talked about it before but is still kind of iffy. She just likes to ride along ;)

Well, im not quite sure how far you want to or are willing to ride. Like I said, im not too familiar with these roads out here so I dont really know where we can go. I'm trying to look at google maps and see what roads go where but its not really helping much haha.

Its a little hard knowing where since our ending positions will be over an hour from each other. Me in Winchester, you in Sterling area.

Maybe we can each do a loop like thing. We meet at 28/50 crossing at the Costco like you said. Then take 50 back down to 15 and go south down to 29. Take 29 west towads Warrenton and then go up north on 17. We can break off from eachother at I-66. You go 66 east to Sterling and We go 66 west towards Winchester. Im not sure how many miles that is, but it seems like a pretty decent ride. I dont know how those rodes are either. They may just be straight roads... but thats fine with me too. Look at it on the map and see what you think.

JSP

Super Moderator
Or... I can just come up on rt. 7 and then we can take 50 all the way down past paris and get on 601. 601 take us up over the hill and its a VERY windy road up and down last I remember. That takes us back out to 7 and we can split there or you can come west on 7 with us and if the wife is feeling up for it we can take the river road BACK across to 50 and we can split there.

I would really like to do those two roads actually now that I think about it. They are both pretty windy. Would make for some good riding.Maybe we could meet somewhere closer to there? Maybe meet up like in Middleburg on 50? Then we can come back down and get on 601 to 7, then take the road on the river back across to 50. Those two roads should take some time to go on since they are pretty windy.

JSP

Super Moderator
Ok, looking closer at it, I think the second option would be a great ride! Here is a little map of the routes. We can do 601 to 7 and come back on 606 river road to 50, or we can come back on 621 which is on the other side of the river back down to 50. OR if that doesnt satisfy us, we can go up 601 to 7, come back down on 606 river road, then go back up 621 on the other side of the river to 7 and part there. :D:D:D Im just hoping none of 606 or 621 turns into a dirt road. I know River road doesnt for a long time, but ive never gone all the way through it so I dont know if it does later on. If it does we can always turn around and go back the other way on 601.

How does this look!?

Verranth

wow, you really nailed it down. I have no objections with your suggested trail. I'm uncertain how long I have to ride as I am obligated to attend a birthday party. The problem is that I dont remember what time the party was for. Either way, I dont think the party will be earlier than 6 or 7pm. So, as long as we can do most of what you want between 3pm and 5:30pm, I will be good.

The last serious part of this message is: tomorrow, before we ride, we should make sure we have a mutual understanding of the general mechanics of group riding. Perhaps settle on 2 or 3 signs, like "need a break", "pull over", and...whatever else. =)

I sent you a PM with my cell. ( If you like -->) Give me a call at your convinience tonight to solidify the time and I should have the party time as well. (or maybe the party was tonight?...:shrug:...) Anyways, I'll be certain later. If not, I will try to remember to post here and inform you.

...I wonder if I should clean my chain tonight...nah, it'll just get dirty tomorrow.

Verranth

LOL :rof::rof::rof::rof::rof:
:rof::rof::rof::rof::rof:

The bday party was for tonight...so I am heading out now.

I have all the time we need to complete whatever we feel like doing tomorrow. See you around 3pm.

JSP

Super Moderator
Had lots of fun man! The wife thoughly enjoyed it also. :thumbup:

Those two roads are pretty decent. The gravel on the one was a little hairy, but other than that, they were good.

Can't wait to get a couple more bikes to join in. Like I was saying before, we should do a Skyline Drive run sometime. :cool:

area

oh man sounds like i missed out on a fun ride!

When are you guys thinking you would like to go again? I'm down for a skyline drive...

Verranth

You did miss out on some great fun! The first road was my favorite since it had little to no gravel on it. There were other bikers going the opposite way and they seem like they were pushing those curves nicely.

The second road was a little more scenic and was very nice for about half the length. The latter part was filled with spots of gravel that caused us to slow down.

Now, for the future, I would like to do that first road again. As far as Skyline Drive, I would like to wait until the leaves turn so we can stop and take pictures at the overlook sites.

I'm thinking in a month or so, the middle of September?

Oh, btw, I'm not available this Saturday after 3pm. I have a dinner to attend at 5pm. I can do whatever from 10AM - 3:00PM.

area

Was it just you and JSP? How long were you guys out there? I'm free this weekend if you guys want to ride anywhere.

Which road did you guys hit up first?

JSP

Super Moderator
Was it just you and JSP? How long were you guys out there? I'm free this weekend if you guys want to ride anywhere.

Which road did you guys hit up first?
Yup, just the two of us. Well, my wife on the back as well ;).

We took 50 down to 601 and went up over the hill to rt. 7, then came back across on River Road. Then went down 50 into Winchester and broke off there. We rode for about a good 2 hours.

This weekend isnt too great for me, I threw my back out and the doc has me on some strong Muscle relaxers and Anti-inflammatory. I need to take it easy for a little while.

Mid September for a Skyline drive would be great! Not sure what weekend you all would want to do it, but I can tell you the day im NOT available :).

I have a followup Doc appointment for my back on the 12th (Sat) So either that Sunday, or one of the other weekends we can all agree on. I will do my best to find a babysitter when we agree on the day.

Last edited:

area

I'm generally available all weekends I just need a little notice to make sure the GF didn't plan something that i forgot about.

Verranth

I'm generally available all weekends I just need a little notice to make sure the GF didn't plan something that i forgot about.
:rof:

I'm telling my gf to not plan anything for that weekend so we can go together. I already told her that we were planning on riding out the skyline drive and she was very excited about it.

At this point, any time during the September month sounds great. I'll make sure to leave the weekend after the 12th free. That way, JSP can have his visit and have an extra week to get better.

How does that sound? I wonder if O-Turn wants to join...it might be a little far, since he is in MD...:don'tknow:

JSP

Super Moderator
The weekend after the 12th (Sep 19th or 20th) sounds good. I will work on getting a sitter if we can all agree on either of those days.