Chain maintenance

e.blackadder

Yeah, I'm Posting in this thread... alot of good information in here, but I've run into an interesting situation that has me stumped:

I cleaned my chain for the first time today, as the rear sprocket was making alot of noise. After cleaning and lubing the chain, I take the bike for a spin, and immediately notice the rear sprocket is super quiet. (yay)

However, after about 10-15 minutes, I notice the front sprocket is making alot of noise. The tinny high-pitched chain noise only comes up when I'm using throttle. When I'm coasting, engine breaking, or using the clutch, I don't hear a thing.

Any Ideas? I'm certain I used ample amounts of lubricant wax....
Is it a whine? My old V-star used to have the same whine as my 6R. A mechanic told me once that most Yamahas whine because of the way they cut the gears in the transmission. Nothing to be concerned about, apparently.

Rawknrohl

Best chain lube evar! (imho)

Motorex makes a FAR superior chain lube and cleaner for o-ring chains, barely compares to anything else I've tried, just cleaned my chain with their cleaner again last night and you'd never know that it didn't just ship from the factory and took very little effort to get it that way, and their white color 'road' chain lube is awesome, I don't ride in the rain these days much but when I did I was sure glad when I discovered this product. Anyone looking for something different give it a try! It's not cheap but personally I put only the best into my vehicles, especially my Yamaha!

SurfJunkie

There is alot of strange info in this thread.

1. Take it for a quick 10 min ride to get the chain hot.
2. Get it up on the rear stand, and get a section of cardboard between the chain and the rear tire ( avoid splatter of your cleaner/lube on the tire. )
3. Spin the tire by hand while blasting the chain with your cleaner. I personally use Motul cleaner and lube. 10 bucks per can of each roughly at cycle gear.
4. Scrub with the grime brush. Use the long bristle end to get between all the plates if needed. I noticed with the Stockton tool company brush, the main head never seems to really get between the plates efficiently. Wipe clean with towels. May as well wipe the rear sprocket/front sprocket clean as well. Might need to brush the front one with long bristles to get all the crap out.
5. Rotate the tire again and lube. Let the lube sit for 10-15 mins before riding.

Read the back of the products you use for proper instructions. I would highly advise against WD-40 or kerosene/gasoline or anything that caustic. Remember, these are RUBBER o-ring chains and the rubber o-ring is what keeps the lube where it needs to be.

Alex6

Read the back of the products you use for proper instructions. I would highly advise against WD-40 or kerosene/gasoline or anything that caustic. Remember, these are RUBBER o-ring chains and the rubber o-ring is what keeps the lube where it needs to be.
Kerosene is reccomended by Yamaha Owner's Manual. Page 7-29.

SurfJunkie

Kerosene is reccomended by Yamaha Owner's Manual. Page 7-29.
Just found another forum in which someone did some exposure tests to rubber chain orings with various solvents/substances.

Chain O-ring WD-40 exposure effects study and results - ADVrider
( if linking to another forum isnt allowed, my apologies. )

Apparently after 24 hrs of being submerged in kerosene or WD-40 shows no wear or adverse side effects. The doesnt look at the effects of actually using WD-40 on the chain however. Honda manuals state not to use penetrating oils such as WD-40 as it will displace the lubricant between the Orings and cause premature wear of the chain.

Kerosene seems OK i guess.....
Ill stick with the aerosol Motul stuff. Helps launch some of the debris with the pressure and helps keep the hands clean.

Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Deathdiesel

In reality imo any lubricant designated as a metal lubricant is better than absolutely nothing. WD-40 works, its not designed for rubber o rings so it does still effect it, but again its such a small amount that its easily better than nothing.

The stuff thats designed for chains, im sure will work best, but like I said, odds are the other things are more important, such as, keeping it lubed at all times, checking for road debris jammed in the sprockets, how hard you launch, etc etc.

Btw guys dont forget to wipe off excess lube when you mantain your chains, wiping it off is only getting rid of the stuff thats going to fling, as the lube that you want/need is already in the joints/cracks.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
LMFAO! Is it worth it to have a front stand as well as the rear? I planned on getting a swing arm stand eventually. Not real sure about the benefit of having both.
If you ever want to take your front wheel off it is. Or storing for long periods of time, keeps flat spots off the tires.

JSP

Super Moderator
I am going to save for a center stand which can be used to get both the front and the rear up. Not at the same time though of course. ;)

buzzbomb

Elite Member

SurfJunkie

Just FYI for you guys, Cyclegear seams to have a revolving sale for front and rear paddock stands. Yes they are made in china, but they are solid/beefy.

I got my rear stand on sale for 44.99.
fronts end up being the same on sale as well. so for 90 bucks plus tax you get both. Hard to beat that. As stated, if they aren't on sale this month, just wait 30 or so days and they will be.

Heres the link. On sale currently.
Cycle Gear - Search

EDIT: i currently own both the front and rear stands shown above. No issues what so ever.

Last edited: