Chain rusting after only 1300 miles

brownwa

Long story short, took a corner wide on a track day and literally got stock in the mud. Ended up laying the bike down on it's right side at about 10 mph. I had to power wash the the bike, like hard core. There was mud EVERYWHERE, inside the fairings, inside the wheel wells even in the bolt heads. I meant to lube the chain after, I really did, but was busy for nearly two weeks. So today I go to hand wash the bike, toothbrush and all, to clean the mud out of those hard to reach places.

Then to my dismay I saw rust on the inside of my chain. I sprayed the chain down with [ame="http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Motorcycle-Degreaser-Sprockets-11-Ounce/dp/B003OBM5EQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449708040&sr=8-1&keywords=dupont+chain+cleaner"]Dupont chain cleaner[/ame], wiped it down and then lubed it.

My question is this, is my chain still good? I was taught that the metal is less important than the o rings. So if the o rings are lubricated and the chain isn't damaged or kinked then I'm fine, right?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

brownwa

Thanks all for the feedback. After two sessions of chain degreaser and lubing, with about 60 miles of riding, the rust is now gone! It's a relief and I am back to my regular chain maintenance :)

O/T but be very careful P/W the bike as it blasts water and cleaners/debri into places they don't belong.

Chain o-rings, wheel seals, cables, master cylinder seals, head bearing's, instrument panels... Water goes in, sits and causes damage that cost us money or make it very difficult to remove for repair!