Blue-Sun

Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Fizzer6R

I think her plan is just to commute back & forth to work, for the most part. The weather here is pretty predictable with 350-355 days / year (average) of sunshine.

I am concerned about small air cooled engine in traffic, when its 115+ degrees. Does anyone have any experience with small air cooled bikes in extreme heat climates??

I understand the Ninja 250 is liquid cooled, but the Rebel and V-Star are air-cooled.

when I lived in Phx AZ I saw, and I'm sure you prob do also, plenty of air cooled bikes riding there. not saying you can't over heat one there during summer months. if i was stuck in traffic there, it would make me want to split lanes and get out even more :cool:

KeysRider3

He said she wants a bike not a overpriced retirement gift!! I vote for the rebel or if she has money the harley sportster has the lowest seat height ever! Sportsbikes are tough bet for a shorter woman most are over 32" seat height minus the 6r so if she wanted one she would need to lower it.....a lot or maybe get some bombshell riding boots to hike her up a few inches?

The Sportster weighs 100 lbs more than the FZ6R! The Yamaha Virago 250 cruiser, and the Honda Rebel are both good choices, as would be either the Ninja 250 or CBR 250 (both have 30.5" seat heights). Pretty much anything else would need to be lowered.

DakinechicK

A 250. I'm short (when not wearing heels, i.e. when I'm riding) and the only thing I was able to ALMOST reach without having it lowered was a 250. However, all of my bikes have been lowered so I can touch the ground. Such is life as a shorty.

BoneJj

what about a v-twin honda sabre, it has a 26.9 seat height and its a beautiful bike!

1300cc as well and still get's 46mpg, I wanted one of them but wasn't willing to pay that price for my first bike in a long time. And that's probably a good thing seeing as I'm selling my vulcan 900, actually the vulcan 900 would be a good bike as well, it has a 27ish inch seat height.

I know these are v-twin motors but there really aren't many sport bikes that would fit the bill. the lowest on the market really is the 250 sport bikes but the problem is that they are only 250.... Don't expect to be taking that thing on any interstates.

My friend is pretty short and he has a cbr600rr he had to have it dropped 2 inches just to be able to touch the ground.

Maybe with a 3" lowering kit she would be able to ride something like that.

maybe you should ask her to measure her inseam so we can get a better idea as to what kind of bike she can actually fit on.

There are a ton of bikes, it's just a matter what she's going to like to look at on a regular basis and enjoy riding.

BoneJj

I was just looking and the honda shadow only has a 25.8" seat height, that's pretty low and that's a 750, that is a reasonable size and pretty low seat height. Plus they use a different style of v-twin that is a little smoother than the others.

KeysRider3

I was just looking and the honda shadow only has a 25.8" seat height, that's pretty low and that's a 750, that is a reasonable size and pretty low seat height. Plus they use a different style of v-twin that is a little smoother than the others.

The Shadow and other Honda 750s have pretty compact riding space too. Re hot climates and air-cooled engines, they're made to withstand heat. I grew up riding a 90cc Honda in high humidity and temps, and the thing held less than a quart of oil. It never gave me any problems. Smaller displacement bikes are ridden in hot climates overseas (Asia) two-up!

JSP

Super Moderator
I would say 250 Rebel. Bullet proof bike. The engine has basically been untouched since 85 ish. I put 11k on mine in one year and sat in plenty of hot traffic with it. Great little bikes and will haul her around no problem if she is that small. I could cruise at 65 mph on it down the highway 55 miles each way without any issues at all and I am over 200 lb. Ended up being too cramped on it and wanted more power for what I was doing, but with her size and what she wants, it would be perfect for her. You can find them all the time for $1-$2k.

This was mine. Good looking little bikes IMO. Super light too.

img0539cc5.jpg

Last edited:

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I think she weighs all of 90-95 Lbs., so the Rebel is a very good suggestion for this situation. An affordable price also fits well into this equation, as she has a limited budget.

And your bike looks good, also. (Thanks for the pic)...

The only reason I asked about air-cooled, is... I was talking to a guy who was riding a vintage BMW air-cooled bike and he stated it got too hot in traffic and "fried" the oil. I am assuming when he said "fried" the oil, he meant the viscosity was lost and the oil wasn't lubricating properly. This situation may be due to the fact this was a older vintage bike and not a modern ride.

One thing to consider with the rebel is that it has NO oil filter. Just an internal oil screen. We changed the oil every 1.5k miles because of that even though Honda still recommended like 4K or something. So that my help stave off oil breakdown in hot temps. Just use the proper temperature rating for the hotness. Valve adjustments are due every 4K as well. Very easy to do on these bikes though.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Flipflash

Elite Member

SAFE-T

Rebel 250 for the win :)

I would stay away from the Bandit 400 ~ it is a top heavy bike that needs revs and is hard to turn at slow speed ~ not a good combination for a new rider, and particularly not a short one.

Superzoom

Have you looked at the suzuki TU250x, fuel injection!!!

Although the TU250 is a good bike, it's got a 30 inch seat height. Just because a bike is a 250, it doesn't mean the seat is low. That goes for the 250 Ninja (30.5"), as well as the CBR250 (30.5"), and most other bikes that are not cruisers.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Flipflash

Elite Member