Basics of tires explained

Michael Wilson

Being a motorcycle tech people often ask me what the numbers on tires mean. Here is my simple explination.

Take for example 120/60ZR17

120= the cross section (width) of the tire

60= proprtional height of the tire wall (percentage of the width)

Z= speed rating (149mph+)

R= radial type tire

17= inside of tire area (rim size)

There is also a 3 or 4 didget number that indentifys when the tire was made.

012: first week of 2002

2222: 22nd week of 2022

It is not recomended to run a tire that is more then 5 years old due to compisition break down.

*note always run a radial tire or street bike aplications with proper speed rating.

What I current run on my fz6r: Michelin road pilot 2

Front: 120/50ZR17

Rear: 190/50ZR17

Any questions?

Last edited:

Michael Wilson

I simply took my old tire off and put the new tire on. It fits perfectly fine. But I also have a tbr exhaust system so that might of provided enough clearance

Fizzer6R

might want to add, there is also a code that tells you the date tire was made, 4 digits indicate the week of what year manufactured

Michael Wilson

might want to add, there is also a code that tells you the date tire was made, 4 digits indicate the week of what year manufactured[/QUOTE

Good idea. Just didn't add that because people are more interested in tire size.

Kdubb223

pics of this 190 rear tire would be appreciated. Thanks

Michael Wilson

pics of this 190 rear tire would be appreciated. Thanks
Will do. May take a few days because I have an extremely busy schedule(school and work)

Spunky99

The problem with a 190 tire on a narrow stock FZ6R rim is that the tire is totally incorrect profile wise. Pictures will show this as it's really obvious.

Michael Wilson

The problem with a 190 tire on a narrow stock FZ6R rim is that the tire is totally incorrect profile wise. Pictures will show this as it's really obvious.
Correct you are. Profile is wrong but it will fit. Next tire for me is a 180

Spunky99

Correct you are. Profile is wrong but it will fit. Next tire for me is a 180
So is the 190/50 profiled like a 190/55 now that it is mounted on a narrower rim?
I've got a 190/55 on my 955i instead of a stock 190/50. It made the front to be perceived as dropped and made the turn initiation a bit faster without having to drop the front end. It's a sport bike thing..;)

Michael Wilson

So is the 190/50 profiled like a 190/55 now that it is mounted on a narrower rim?
I've got a 190/55 on my 955i instead of a stock 190/50. It made the front to be perceived as dropped and made the turn initiation a bit faster without having to drop the front end. It's a sport bike thing..;)
The tire tread is straight up and down so its impossible to burn off chicken strips even if you drop the bike. (Not saying I tested this theory) I will try to post a picture tonight so people can see what the tire profile looks like.

Fizzer6R

The tire tread is straight up and down so its impossible to burn off chicken strips even if you drop the bike. (Not saying I tested this theory) I will try to post a picture tonight so people can see what the tire profile looks like.
chicken :p

Michael Wilson

I'm going to lay my bike down gently in the garage and do a burn out with the tire barely touching just to prove my point :) lol jk