2013 harley Davidson Fatbob...Why?

CrazyCawi

Id like to start off by saying by no way have I lost the soul and desire for streetbikes. I kept the Ninja 250R, which I plan to track with next year. Brooke does not enjoy riding on the 250R anymore because anxiety of when she crashed my fz6r flash back to her.

So onto the different bikes I was considering.....
Ducati Monster Evo
Ducati Streetfighter 848
MV agusta Brutale 800
Mv Agusta brutale 1090
Harley Softtail Slim

I did months of research, and ogled over each bike.

You guys know why the MV and Ducati's appealed....who wouldn't want a upper echelon sport bike right? Well it all started with contacting the MV Agusta Dealer here in MN. The sales guy didn't really seem to show any interest in selling me a motorcycle or getting me into to look at it. So I emailed the sales manager. I told him I had a 2 week timeline, and MV was at the top of my list. I brought my bike by and He told me he would give me $3400 for the kawasaki .....I told him I couldnt accept less than bluebook trade, and explained where I worked and showed him my educated numbers (auction reports, whole sale reports, KBB, ect) and he litterally told me "if you want more go sell it your self we dont need it here." Well they sell MV, Suzuki, Yamaha along with a good used selection, so I took offense to that and felt well if you dont want my bike here, you dont want me or my business here. I was shocked at the lack of concern or customer service. They unfortunately are the only dealer in MN that I could find. They didnt deserve my money, especially having to bring the bike back for services with them.

The next set of bikes....Ducati, Well Ducati of Minneapolis is the only Authorized dealer....I told the sales manager who was the one who took my call couldn't tell me anything positive about the ducati, rather she kept telling me bad things about MV agusta. Well I had a desire for both, tell my why your bike is superior and sell me your bike, dont discredit my judgement to consider an MV just the same as a Ducati. She also knew very little about the Streetfighter, and if it could be ordered with a security package. I was annoyed at the lack of knowledge and ability to sell.

This left me to the Harley dealer, Zylstra. I went in, and right away Mikk Came to the door to greet me with a smile. He asked me if I needed assistance finding anything whether that be parts, service, or looking for a bike. I told him(even though I did a lot of research) this was my first go-around with Harley's and was rather uneducated on them. He then asked me What I was riding currently, and I told him the Zx6r out front. Right away he said he wanted to see it because he owned an R1. We walked out and he thought it looked amazing. I tend to agree with him, it was pretty amazing haha. We walked back in and he said what harleys was I considering. I told him I was considering the Dyna and Softtail family, and I was instructed by some friends and family I would enjoy a soft tail. I expressed my concerns as to how Aggressive I ride and he told me "Based on what your currently riding, you want a dyna over a soft tail." He then told me why, Bigger rear tire on some models of the dyna, and the availability of the larger 103CU motor as well, and a better lean angle on the bike. He knew everything, he didn't need to ask anyone, and he was really laid back. We walked through the show floor and looked at different models, and he said lets pick a few out to test drive. So we picked a few dyna's, the standard model, The Street bob, and the Fat bob. The fatbob was the one for me. The others felt that with the narrow rear tire the back end was skipping through the curves. The fatbob was different, forward controls but not like highway pegs, drag bars with the risers, and the fat rear tire and solid mag wheels. It hugged the road and pushed right through the turns and ripped through the Apex's on the demo ride. I was smilling ear to ear.

Now why get rid of the zx6r after all that money put into it? It sucked as a stunt bike.

They ended up giving me 5k for the ninja and then discounting the Harley, I had a payoff on the zx6r $3400. The end of the deal I paid 15256 OTD versus the original $15899+setup fee's+TTL which totaled $18669 so they discounted the bike and they stepped up in trade on my bike above the 5k. I shook hands after 2 hours of negotiation and away I went with my new harley.

When I got home I asked myself what the hell I just did.....I wanted a duc or MV so bad. I hardly slept that night(tuesday night). The next morning I rode into work, and let me tell you, this bike commands respect from everyone I encountered on the rode. So many people looked over, smiled, nodded, waved, signalled for me to merge if I wanted the spot....every motorcyclist I encountered waved at me. When I was on my zx6r, no one gave the time of day, like I was some punk *** kid riding.

Well onto the bike itself.....The bike is heavy, it feels so planted to the road. But the weight is easily manageable. I can actually flatfoot this bike :rolleyes: Its hard getting used to the more forward controlls because I feel like my legs just hang out, but its way more comfortable than any bike I've ridden. Its got the 103 CU motor in it, so HUGE power. You know how when you twist the throttle on a stock bike and it goes fast, but if you twist it even farther it really started to pick up speed? Well this one, when you do that, it sinks you back in your seat so hard, it has GOBS of torque, and its an amazing rush.

Ive visited many harley forums and read a lot about them and the first thing I plan to do, is to put more of a performance front and rear tire on the bike, I already have been wearing the chicken strips pretty thin since tuesday, but If I want to go any lower I want the confidence of having a more sticky tire rather than the knobby touring tires.

Another side note, I also felt comfortable buying the harley with their resale value here in minnesota, based on my research I could ride it for a year or two and not take much of a hit at all, sell it, and buy a Duc or MV if I wasnt so in love with the harley anymore.

I can assure you, most of you, would have a lot of respect for how mean, brute, and powerful this bike is. With it being fuel injected you turn it on and go. You get the nostalgic rumble when stopped, and she mellows out and loses those vibs at speed. The 6 speed tranny has gotten me about 40mpg so far. I filled it up today from 1/4 tank with premium, and it cost me 9 bucks. It also has a fuel mileage countdown like a car, and a built in visual guage as well.

I bought the bike with the black metalic pearl paint, its gorgeous. So far I couldn't be any happier with my experience.

Here are a few pictures. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

xleeb0y13x

Very nice bike. Sounds like you came out on top on that deal. Sucks that the other dealers seamed pretty lame but their loss.

Sent using Jedi mind tricks!

Sage

Still think shoulda went British ;) I do think it's a nice looking bike though, If I had to choose a HD, it would be that or the Forty-Eight. Sounds like those other dealers didn't really want your money the way they acted, their loss though, if you were down here you would have ended up on the Duc down at MotoEuropa, those guys down there love the world of bikes and getting people onto them

RoadTrip

Good write up. My POV is you shouldn't ever have to defend this purchase, you are experiencing a Harley, one of the most popular brands out there, and like you said they get respect on the road. I think your initial shock is how your ended up with the bike after dreaming of the Euro brands, but sounds to me like you ended up with the right bike. But, its not like this is the last bike you will ever buy, it is a big change from the ZX6R, and maybe a good in between bike to a Ducati down the road, or maybe you will just become a die hard Harley guy. Either way, I like the bike and think you are really going to enjoy it.

danieljardim

Nice bike CC. I love harleys, V-rod and the new breakout are really nice.

And your story is a good proof that good customer service always wins.

It's a shame you didn't come to the italian side of the force :(.

Pinarello Rider

Congrats on the new bike. I looked at an 883 before deciding on the FZ6r and ultimately decided I couldn't spend Harley money. I have an '02 883 that I like alot, but really wanted a smoother riding bike that is quieter, stops better and has EFI. But Harley service wins all day every day, the dealer network is fantastic, and the brotherhood is great. If money were less of an object, I would have bought a Dyna Street Glide with soft bags and a windshield.

I still get waves all the time from people on my Yammy. No disrespect - even from Harley riders. There will always be haters, just don't sweat them. The world is FULL of good people who quietly outnumber the boisterous d-bags. Enjoy your new Harley - they are well built bikes nowadays and you've got a lot of really comfy miles ahead of you.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

It won't be, but I spent all that money making it into a stunt bike...I wasn't happy when it sucked lol

Neme

I'm suprised they let you leave the dealer with the stock pipes on it :p are you planning on getting a wind screen? My neighbor just bought the anniversary edition a few months back and that's the first thing he did. He said the wind was terrible, is it really that bad?

CrazyCawi

No, wind is terrible for anyone who doesn't wear a helmet lol, no wind screen for me and no obnoxious pipes either :)

Bert-Aus

So does this mean you are going to start dressing like a pirate too?

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

crobih

Well the guy that's selling harleys rides an r1. I'm not trying to knock the buy, but an r1 is a legit beast. You didn't consider the thousand japs at all? Btw I wouldn't recommend an r1 as a stunt bike. But it totally blows my mind at the list you had of the top bikes you wanted, and how a harley came close to it. The style of riding and just in general the hobby becomes different. I don't think you will get over the ss bug. It will creep up in u and u will buy another one.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

mtheartist

oh, you gotta play dress up, that's half the fun... Power Ranger outfits for sportbikes, and Pirate costumes for Harleys :)
Man those dang power rangers give ATGATT such a bad name. On the flip-side, I'm sure CC will be sporting some solid gear along with a full-faced lid so no pirate look there. Heck, he might even inspire the pirates to cover up for a change. Also, regarding the respect issue I've gotten more love from guys on cruisers than squids riding on super sports here in Cali. Riding a Harley is a whole new experience. I can tell from first-hand experience. I've had the pleasure to feel the power of all-American muscle on a '13 Street Glide after an 8hr road trip along the coast. Very beautiful and pleasing bikes, too bad they're so costly to own. Well done CC! Those arrogant imbeciles did not deserve one penny of your hard earned money! :thumbup:

Attachments