In Need of New Tires

efforex

Need some advice....

This is my first bike and I'm clueless when it comes to motorcycle tires. I'm coming up on 8K miles on my bike. Still have the stock tires. I mainly use my bike to commute to work which is 95% flat highway riding. I rarely take the bike out on weekends because those are dedicated to wifey time. I plan to stick to the OEM tire sizes.

Got any suggestions for new tire? Looking to spend no more than $300 for both front and rear.

Thanks in advance.
Where do you live in southern cali ?

popeye

well i put on the michelin pilot power didnt real choose the tire size i had my bike naked for a time and the dealership thought it was a fz8 so they tossed on a 180/55 cant say i was disappointed i actually like how they feel and grip pretty well i mostly do commuting so they are barely starting to create a flat spot but thats from going to laughlin and back i think i put 4500 miles on them and they still look like they can last for plenty of more miles the stock tires i had on my bike were the dunlop roadsmart i hated this tire it always slipped on me in the rain it had bad traction to they only lasted 4000 miles too.
180/55 ?? i didn't know you can go up two sizes on the 6r :confused:

06330i

Michelin pilot power. nuff said. I will NEVER put a set of bridgestones on my bike again. The difference between these and the stocks is like night and day. it feels like a different bike.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

FastFreddy

I put a Michelin Road 2 on the back, and it seems grippy enough for the FZ6R.
The profile and flex seems good too.

They are supposed to last awhile, but I can't confirm yet.
They are a better feeling than the Angel/Demon ST according to those that have tried both.

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Last edited by a moderator:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

So. The tires are bought. Keep in mind, my research is obviously skewed towards myself and how and when I ride.

I ride in all weather. If it's not raining when I'm leaving, then I'm riding. The fact that it will be raining when I come home is accepted. I ride mostly highway, to commute or get to my twisties. However, when I get to my twisties, I *might* get stupid, and need all the grip I can get.

Another however, I just put over 10k miles on my stock bridgestones. In six months. I bought the bike used, but over 8k of those miles are mine. I need sticky, I need all weather, and I need tread life.

After LOTS of research, taking into account all the suggestions in this thread, my choices came down in this order:

1. Michelin Road Pilot 3
2. Michelin Road Pilot 2
3. Bridgestone 023
4. Shinko 005 Advance.

I liked my Bridgestone 021s.Over ten thousand miles on them. At this point the rear was so squared off, the bike would nearly balance on it's own, and the front was so scalloped I could put it with some noodles and serve it for dinner. Still, More than 10K miles, and they served well in the twisties.

They've been replaced by the 023s which were a serious contender.

The technology and the reviews I read on the Michelin's are simply undeniable. I wanted me some. My bonus was less than expected, on a piss-poor paycheck, with bills due, to boot. I simply could not afford the Bridgestones or the Michelins.

I was shopping around for installation costs, and found a local shop that charged 1/2 what my local Yamy dealer charged for installation. This shop had some Shinko's in stock.

So I went with it. Ride the bike in, front and rear tires installed for $302. Shinko Advance 005. They screwed up. The front is supposed to be 120/70. I got 120/60.

After some argument, the mechanic basically said "Try it, you'll like it." OK. I have.

Damn. My sweet little girl is so nimble, I've got to work hard not to change lanes when doing a head-check.

I took a random road (with way too much speed) that had a decreasing radius turn, without a sign. I went so wide that I was in the opposite lane, at the edge of the road, and still had too much speed. Way leaned over, I trail-braked and the bike stuck the corner and I lived.

I rode for a while after that, scared out of my wits. Still.... It did so well... So after a break I went after a local road that I know. One 20mph, 90-degree turn to the right and down the road, another 10mph, 90-degree turn the left.

Stuck it. All leaned over and faster than I care to say. Then I turned around and did it again. Then I turned around and did it a third time.

I liked the stock tires. They could not have stuck those turns the way I did it with the Shinkos. No. Way. Period. It's a local road. I've run it enough times to know.

I'm making no real judgement until I get back up to the twisties in Rockingham. Hopefully on Sunday. Any opinion on the longevity of the tire will of course come with miles.

In the meantime, I've got to admit that I'm impressed.
I will be real interested in seeing what kind of mileage you get and how you like them as time progresses. Im on my 3rd set of 009's and love em plus I ride pretty much the same as you it sounds, over 25k a year mainly commuting rain or shine and still like to get crazy on the weekends. I've read mixed reviews about the 005 that's why I've never ran a set, some say the 009 is stickier and some say the 005 is but both tires get great wet traction reviews as well as longevity. The tires I have on now should wear out about the same time and I'm not sure yet what I'll go with next, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a 009 though just because I want to check out some other tires now that I know the bike real well. The z8's, 005's, and maybe the angel are what I'm considering the most as of now.

The only thing that I don't like about the 009's are the feedback they give. They have a pretty stiff carcass and don't offer a lot of "feel" of what the tire is doing and if they are cold the rear can and has broken away with no warning, I've also read the same about the 005's so that would be something else I would be interested in as you put some more miles on em.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

Yeah any "cold" tire will slip but with the 009's the thin that bothers me is that they don't give any warning before they do. The diablo's and bstone 023's I have had would at least "push" and sometimes even make some noise before letting go. What I mean by "push" is feeling like the rear end is being pushed into a slide with out really sliding, kind of like understeer with the front how you can feel it push out just a bit but not totally loose it. Where as the 009's just say F-you I'm gone! It's only happened to me twice, both times was completely my fault for pushing that hard on a cold tire so I'm not exactly complaining about it just wishing they would give me some more feedback. But then again they are not supposed to be a "track" type tire so maybe I'm asking for too much lol

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

BKP

I have enough of a rear tire squaring on the stock Dunlop to warrant a new set. So, went to pull the trigger on a set of Michelin PR3s tonight, and the front is out of stock *everywhere *!

The price difference between the 2s and 3s isn't enough to go with the 8 year old technology. So, I'll wait... And, count on the rear holding up a few more hundred miles...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

oOKooZOo

I have close to 10,000 miles on my stock BA's. Finally have to break down and buy a set. And from what I've seen, I'm going with the PR3's. Thanks for the opinions on the thread!:thumbup:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

oOKooZOo

I'm waiting for the tire to arrive (which should be thursday). Then I have to have it put on. I had to just buy the rear for now. I'm losing too much air pressure in the current one. I have to fill it everyday. And its stupid that you have to pay for air at a gas station. Hopefully one of these days I will have all the fun toys. Too poor right now. Haha.:thumbdown:

BKP

I'm waiting for the tire to arrive (which should be thursday). Then I have to have it put on. I had to just buy the rear for now. I'm losing too much air pressure in the current one. I have to fill it everyday. And its stupid that you have to pay for air at a gas station. Hopefully one of these days I will have all the fun toys. Too poor right now. Haha.:thumbdown:
Bicycle pump works fine... Or, if you happen to dive and own a tank or two, and a regulator (or in my case six), there's an attachment available for a standard lp hose that'll inflate tires. I usually keep a minimum of 500 to 1000psi in the standard air tanks when they're not in use. Plenty to inflate pretty much anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

will415

What was the price you paid out here in Fresno for them i just realized we live in the same city ha!!!

oOKooZOo

Well I am no diver haha. And I don't even own a bicycle either. I haven't had a bicycle since I got my drivers license! I had the rear tire put on yesterday and it solved the problem.

Will: JT told me to hit you up because you live here in Fresno. I was planning on hittin' you up when I got both tires put on. Cash is running low so I have to wait on the front tire. But I ordered my rear tire off of motorcycle-superstore.com. The tire was about $165. I went to Wilson's Motorcycles and they charged $64 for the mount and balance and disposal. I also brought the whole bike in. So that cost more too. Took them about an hour. They also have a special going on right now for a set of Dunlop Road Smarts for $279 out the door. Great service.