Review: Shinko Advance 005 Sport Touring "$$ Cheap Tire"

Jots S.R.M.C.

Shinko F005/R005 Advance Street Radial - Rear Tires - KneeDraggers

I just want to make this short and sweet.. I bought this set for 72 dollars front and like a 110 for the rear...

I was looking for a set of tires that would last long - as I just started a company and I don't have alot of money.. But I wanted a set of tires that would stand up to my aggressive riding style.. I have been riding a pretty long time for someone that is 27 (14 years) - and I am no where near my end of slowing it down..

So I didn't hear anything about these tires.. Hell I had never heard the name shinko.. Shit.. Shows how much I know? - haha j/k. Anywho I was looking for tires like I stated above and I explained to the tech @ the shop I was at what I wanted..

he explained to be a lil about the tires.. there a medium to hard compound unlike my last 2cts that are a lil medium in the mid and softer on the sides and these are pretty much hard in middle and medium hard in sides..

But- I was still worried about safety as I .. Ride the tits off my fz6r.. I am no " Beginner or Novice" - I could of written the review for the bike and quite frankly I would of given it the same damn review that Sport Rider wrote for it when I read it sitting in a airport in Seattle on my way to Tucson in December trying to find my "NEW BUY" as I was on my way to Tucson, AZ.. Needless to say- You know what I bought.. and now im here..

So i've had the bike since then.. and ive gone through 3 sets of tires.. Stock.. 2ct's and this is my set of Shinko Advance 005's

I'm gonna compare the stock tire's to the shinkos.. The Stock tires were great.. even though at first I thought they were junk - "Arent all new tires on new bikes shit??" - Well Not this time.. I immediatly found myself upon " MT. Lemmon - Tucson, AZ.." And I hadn't been on the saddle since last summer as I was coming from alaska and I had a brand new bike to brake in !!

So first couple of runs on them- I was slow.. New bike, new hill, new tires, new mindset..

I got to peg scraping pretty quick... became comfortable.. Tires were good.. They stuck really good.. and onlya few times did I ever feel them drift as I was riding.. and they were really warm too.. Braking- Well they skidded a little bit..

Comparing Stock to Shinko's....

BRAKE:
Stopping power goes to shinkos.. Sometimes I like to skid my rear tire a lil bit.. - I have a hard time doing it.. I don't like to awkwardly lock up my tires.. when I grab the brake or push the brake.. it stop's... My brakes are about at the end of there life as i'm at 10k miles and I have ridden the hell out of the FZ6r..

Durability / Life :

I have had the tires about two months and I can't tell how many miles are on them.. I look @ The tread dept and they look brand new.. aside from ovious wear and there are no nipples. ANYWHERE.. and no chicken strips.. I burned them up real quick..

Stock Tires I saw my tread disappearing- I knew they had a Date on them from he day i got on the bike.. however they did ok.. untill i caught a nail- IN THE SIDE.

Grab / Traction:

I try to drift in the rain sometimes and my tire sticks... I aggressivly grab throttle to slide the rear and the front comes up..

No joke.. These have got to be the best fucking rain tires ive been on.. that were a SPORT BIKE TIRE.. and i've never been on a 100% rain tire or w/e..

When i was first scrubbing in the tires.. they were slippery.. Let it be known.. it took about a week to get them 100% - and how i judge it.. is my trying to pop up the front with just my throttle.. - if the tires spin.. there not ready..... This does not tell me what propper level of scrub I call it they are in on the sides... I do this by hitting the mountain and being easy on them.. but putting lean..... even if its going slow.. last second turning.. and swerving in my lane really turning the forks fast. that will do it..

Negatives:

I have heard alot of people talk shit about these tires.. On reviews online- I was trying to find some reviews for the tires that i could post... All i found were remark/reviews on tire buy sites like " Kneedragger" etc.. and the negatives were all the same

"tires want to give and slid out form under me"..

I would put 1000 dollars on these idiots didnt propperly brake in there tires.. and these are the guys that go out get new tires.. drive around town for 20 miles and write a review.. It took me a WEEK- I cant honestly tell you how many miles

But about 2 mountain runs. @ 30 miles each... and slow but hard lean angles..

What do I think:

I love them.. I hit Mt. Lemmon up all the time on these.. and I have 100% confidence.. I wasnt so sure at first.. even when they were still braking in I thought they were done and sucked.. WRONG...

I'm on the very edge of the tire when I ride.. and it sticks great.. in the dry in the rain, in the heat, in the cold.. These tires are wonderful

They are CHEAP as hell...... I stated price.. They could be cheaper in your area go check them out..

I dont have a comparison to the 2ct's - because to be honest.. I road exactly the same on those tires as I did these... and these shinkos stopped better in the rain.... Thats the only differences so I didn't bother write anything up as that was my only observation.. besides the obvious.. the 2cts broke in really fast.. and shinkos a week.. yes 7 days maybe even 9

2ct's on my FZ6r are a waste of money.. These Shinko Advance 005's are what this bike is getting for the rest of its fuel drinking, exhaust blowing, ticket recieving, Wheelie / tittie flashing life..

Hope you enjoy the read, sorry I like to rant and say silly things..

I've never endorsed any tires.. but these Shinko's were made for this bike.. If you want a tire that will last you some cross country rides.... and still feel safe and comfortable hitting the twisties.. Do buy these.. and send me the extra money you saved... And I won't say " I TOLD YA SO"

Keep the Shiny Side uP

Love and Respect always,

Jots,

Last edited:

Jots S.R.M.C.

OK i would also like to reiderate for a conversation i had with someone that works for a power sports store and just so happens to be a member of my chapter in my MC..

ME: "Do you guys carry shinkos?"

Friend: " No- POWERSPORSTSTORENAME doesn't carry shinko's because as shinkos are not top quality tires we would not carry them"

Yes.. Alot of people bash them...... But I would slap anyone that did.. and call them a idiot..

Jots S.R.M.C.

C'mon guys.. Try these tires.. I promise you will love em.. And buy yourself osmehting nice with that 50-100 bucks you saved

Jots S.R.M.C.

I would just mod the current one.. Well Since your chopping the subframe.. You can weld ears on and mount anything on.. So why not I guess. Put a GSXR Rear end on it !

Chevyfazer

I was thinking of trying the 005 for my next set, I'm kinda like you in wanting something that would last, grip, and cheep. And I've also been told I ride the piss out of my fz6. I ride about 750miles + a month because I refuse to drive my 6.0l 3500hd when I have heated gear and rain gear so longevity is really important also. So after coming off pierelli diablo corsa's I went with the 009s ravens, the way I ride I can get about 11,000 out of a rear and 17,000 out of a front. That includes about 6 burnouts at the dragstrip as well. Yes they are not a top quality tire but unless your name is spies, Rossi, etc etc you will never know the difference. I can drag pegs all day with shinkos and have showed up more then a few 600cc super sports as well as liter ss in the n. ga mountains. The people who talk trash about shinkos are people who have never tried a set. I'm on my 3rd rear and 2nd front and I'm hooked. I will say this, with the 009s they do need to be warm before you can really push it because when the tire is cold, it can and will break away with no warning. That's happened to me twice now, the first time I just backed off but the second time I hammed into it trying to drift it, it spun for maybe a second and then hooked and went like a bat outta hell.

Superzoom

I find it a little surprising that the tech described the Shinko's as hard in the centre with a medium hard side compound. Yet you imply in your personal experience that the Shinko's are not a compromise with grip. I'm thinking either the Shinko's are in fact not a hard compound tire, or that they are not as grippy as stock. Something just doesn't sound right.

Superzoom

Shinko 005 Advance Tire Comparison Review - Motorcycle USA

Here's a review of the tire which basically says it's a decent tire with less grip than most other sport rubber. Not as much grip on the sides, so you need to be more careful when applying the power in turns. Much slower than other tires on the track.

Basically an acceptable tire if you don't ride hard.

What's really interesting is how tires affect lap times in testing. Check out the comparison at the bottom of the article. Pretty big difference between tires.

Roaddawg

Shinko 005 Advance Tire Comparison Review - Motorcycle USA

Here's a review of the tire which basically says it's a decent tire with less grip than most other sport rubber. Not as much grip on the sides, so you need to be more careful when applying the power in turns. Much slower than other tires on the track.

Basically an acceptable tire if you don't ride hard.

What's really interesting is how tires affect lap times in testing. Check out the comparison at the bottom of the article. Pretty big difference between tires.
I've had two sets now of the Shinko's and they have more grip than the OEM Bridgestone's for sure.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Fenixgoon

I picked up a set of 005 Advance for my cross country ride. I can't say that I've really explored the limits of my OEM tires (Dunlop Roadsmart) but I'll try and update what I can!

RooKie

I didn't get the 005 Shinko's, but I just had the 009 Installed this weekend (180/55ZR-17 and 120/70ZR-17) Need to break them in before getting some serious lean, but so far they've already proven to decrease my stopping distance in tight situations. They really do feel like they "stick" to the road. I'm very satisfied :cool:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
99Venguer Has had the Ravens you have for what.. Lil over a year now? I know he loves them. My brother had four sets on his zzr600 all shinkos. They always performed exceptionally well. I'll be getting a set by spring!
Yep, I've got the Raven 009's and I really like them. They feel well planted and outperformed the OEM tires IMHO. I'm coming up on 20,000 total miles on the bike, and I have had the 009's for about 12-13,000 of those miles. Great tire at an awesome price. I'm sure the 005's perform great as well.

Roaddawg

On my third set of tires...I just put on another Shinko 009 on the front. It had over 12,000 miles on it. I replaced the rear about 2k ago due to a nail. I still like these tires and highly recommend them. Next time, I will probably go for the 005's since I don't commute 100+ miles on it anymore.