An extra caution!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Motorcyclist Deaths on the Rise - On The Road

At least in Virginia... motorcycle fatalities up %27 this year over last year, it's a sad start to the first half of the year.....

On a side note, I find it very disturbing that, even though most of the incidents involved other cagers, these pee-brained people think we need more training... dipsh!!$... maybe it's time cagers get more training.... but since we all know our government is bass ackwards when it comes to these things....

BE SAFE out there!
AGREED!!! Being conscious and alert for motorcycles should now be a standard curriculum for driver's education courses country-wide. At the very least, they should make drivers take the written portion of the test for the motorcycle endorsement, just so they know what rules and privileges are afforded to motorcyclists.

RockZooky

My GF and I almost go cleaned out by a F-350 that crossed the center line today. It was at least half way in our lane :mad:

bmw675

i know this thread is geared towards cagers,
but a reminder on extra caution....
since the temp has gone up hear, the tar crack fill stripes (ive always known them as 'alligators', dont know if thats right :don'tknow: ) have gotten nice and slick.
they have been making me dance, even on straightaways.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
since the temp has gone up hear, the tar crack fill stripes (ive always known them as 'alligators', dont know if thats right :don'tknow: ) have gotten nice and slick.
Yep, the "tar snakes" are nice and squirly here too!

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
F

FZ6Rgurl

I've noticed, while out on my adventures, that NOBODY checks their blind-spot. For some reason, when I come up on someone on, well either side, I always check for 1:blinkers, and 2: Their eyes in their side view mirror. One of my adventures involved a surbaban and an old man with maybe his wife in the passenger seat. As I was passing this guy, I noticed his left blinker was on. Then my eyes immediately met his eyes, but the funny thing is that he wasn't checking his mirrors. And he just came on over right on top of me. I dropped it a gear and sped forward, got in front of him and revved the engine high for him to hear me and right after that, I turned around and flipped him the bird. Ever since I took the MC course, I've noticed that even in my car, I have been head turning to check my blind spots. And I actually look in my mirrors even more, just to see what's around me.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

I think part of the rise in motorcycle crashes (aside from the seasons) may be because more people are riding due to the economy. That was one reason I bought my bike last year was to commute on. I can commute into the city for less than $5.00 in gas and take the carpool lane and free bridge toll (Until July 1st = 2.50 for carpools/motorcylces....bastards :mad:). Were, if I take my truck, it cost over $15 in gas, plus $8 in toll. So, to me, it only made sense to get a bike to commute on. And, its already paid for itself in commute savings.

Roaddawg

I've noticed, while out on my adventures, that NOBODY checks their blind-spot. For some reason, when I come up on someone on, well either side, I always check for 1:blinkers, and 2: Their eyes in their side view mirror. One of my adventures involved a surbaban and an old man with maybe his wife in the passenger seat. As I was passing this guy, I noticed his left blinker was on. Then my eyes immediately met his eyes, but the funny thing is that he wasn't checking his mirrors. And he just came on over right on top of me. I dropped it a gear and sped forward, got in front of him and revved the engine high for him to hear me and right after that, I turned around and flipped him the bird. Ever since I took the MC course, I've noticed that even in my car, I have been head turning to check my blind spots. And I actually look in my mirrors even more, just to see what's around me.
Like I've said before here, I ride like everyone is trying to kill me. :thumbup: I never ride along side a cager. I either slow down or pass them, and always leave room next to them...just in case they swerve for debris or decide to change lanes suddenly. I also always ride in the farthest left lane or farthest right lane, but never in the middle....unless passing or what not. This way I always have an 'out', either the center divide or the right shoulder. Always try to anticipate someones move BEFORE they do it. i.e....If the lane opens up in front of you, anticipate that the fool in the other lane is going to jump into that opening. Riders getting more training is always a good thing, but like Dart has said, the cagers need it as much if not more than us. Keep it safe out there and don't add to those stats! :Sport:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

I will even slow down and hand wave someone who has their turn signal on in front of me, waiting for an opening in traffic (I also have a pet peeve about turn signals and will acknowledge someone who uses them).

And, if you've just right arrowed to the end of this thread, please read though it all:) it's a topic that's just..... just... read from the beginning please.
"And, if you've just right arrowed to the end of this thread, please read though it all:)" :banghead:

I do the same thing. I always give a 'thanks' wave when a drive acknowledges me and my space. When I have to split stop-n-go traffic, if a cager moves over for me, I always give them a nice wave. I believe that other cagers that see that brief interaction will think twice next time and move over for my fellow riders. Kind of like that commercial were the good deed keeps getting passed on. I know, I know, I'm fantasizing the 'perfect world' :)

Rat

these pee-brained people think we need more training... dipsh!!$... maybe it's time cagers get more training....
Yesterday night some from such people cut me off on highway, but I was prepared.
I don't know why he did it - he saw me in another line, but he just changed line without turning signal and very sharp.
Perhaps he wanted to show me how cool he can drive his SUV.

Ride safely and stay away from cars. :)

Last edited:

WANDERER

same here Roaddawg

Insure Gal

OMG you have those there too? I thought it was just our cheap ba$$ard municiple and provincial government there that was too cheap to properly correct pavement problems (like instead of repairing the MILLIONS - no exageration) of potholes throughout the city, they just put up signs warning about them - like that's gonna make it better :rolleyes:)

I, personally, think cell phone use while driving has increased the danger on the roads to motorcyclists and other "cagers" alike.

My boss wrecked his car 3 times in one year, because he was texting and driving.

I asked him what if he had hit a motorcycle instead of another car?? The only thing that stopped the texting and driving was a HUGE increase in his car insurance.

I've seen people wait until they get in the car to start a cell phone conversation. It is distracting, especially to young drivers.

THAT CALL CAN'T BE THAT IMPORTANT!!

Just my 2 cents.

Holy Shite!!!! Not once but Three times!!!! No offence to you but if I worked for that A##hole I'ld sucker punch him and find another job. Jerks like that don't deserve the Privledge (and it is a privledge not a right!) to drive.

There's all kinds out there, ride like you are invisible folks and please stay safe!!!!!

Last edited:

ramflyer1899

The Army is huge on motorcycle safety. We have mandatory training all the time and safety day group rides and events at least twice a year.

And frankly I agree with motorcycle riders needing more training. Why?

Because stats show that over 60% of motorcycle wrecks are caused by the rider's inability to ride within his/her ability. That means that over half of the accidents are because some dude just plainly did not ride within his limits and abilities.

The second highest cause of wrecks was exceeding the speed limits and road conditions. (I like getting the speed demons out on the track so I can ride "normally" in traffic)

In last place, bikes crashing with cars (regardless of fault).

No matter what the point my opinion is you should take training and continue to grow your skill sets because in an emergency you'll want to react quickly and with precision. You are the most vulnerable part of the equation and anything you can do to minimize your risk the better.

Or maybe I'm a big fan of safety classes and training because when I go the Army gives me a pass and that's my place of work for the day. :)

Mart Man FZ6R

I bought my bike last year to commute on. I can commute into the city for less than $5.00 in gas and take the carpool lane and free bridge toll (Until July 1st = 2.50 for carpools/motorcylces....bastards :mad:). Were, if I take my truck, it cost over $15 in gas, plus $8 in toll. So, to me, it only made sense to get a bike to commute on. And, its already paid for itself in commute savings.
That's pretty cool. You essentially get a bike for free because you would have spent the money on gas and toll anyway.

As I was passing this guy, I noticed his left blinker was on. Then my eyes immediately met his eyes, but the funny thing is that he wasn't checking his mirrors. And he just came on over right on top of me. I dropped it a gear and sped forward, got in front of him and revved the engine high for him to hear me and right after that, I turned around and flipped him the bird..
This is why I did the exhaust mod. They might not see me (at first) but they'll damn sure hear me.

F

FZ6Rgurl

This is why I did the exhaust mod. They might not see me (at first) but they'll damn sure hear me.
I would love to put a new exhaust on, but I just can't afford it. So I'm still looking around for a cheaper option. I do like the way that some people did a stock exhaust mod. And do you guys just go to a regular muffler shop?