Aftermarket Corbin Seat

BKP

Has anyone out there bought a recent Corbin for their Fizzer?

I was on the fence last year, between the Corbin and Russell (Day-Long). However, unless you can make a personal appt. and ride in for a 1-day fitment at Russell, in Ca., I can't see sending in my seat for up to six weeks.

Soooo... looking again at Corbin. I'm sick of the stock seat, and while the Air Hawk helps, it's not a permanent answer.

And, this looks pretty good (but, I'm looking for current feedback):

It *does* turn it into a banana seat... but, that may be a good thing...

JSP

Super Moderator
That sure "looks" comfy!!!

Kayo7

I've been looking into this seat as well. I saw someone else on the forum already got one but forgot who it was. Im still not sure if I wanna go for the banana seat. :)

wtnotch

I had one on my FZ6R when I sold the bike. I purchased it from another member for $300 i think. I'm not sure how many miles the original owner put on it, but he definitely took care of the "Corbin breakin" for me. It was significantly more comfortable than stock, and aside from upgraded shock and fork, it was the best mod I did to the FZ6R.

Russ

SpawnXX

Premium Member

BKP

I've been looking into this seat as well. I saw someone else on the forum already got one but forgot who it was. Im still not sure if I wanna go for the banana seat. :)
Different strokes, I guess...

I decided I actually *like* the banana seat. Since the rider's seat on the FZ6R practically touches the pillion, anyway, I don't think it's aesthetically all that dissimilar. But, what I *really* like, is one key to get to the battery compartment, with the banana. No more one key, and then two bolts -- especially if you keep a tight loop connection *inside* the battery compartment for a Tender, rather than let it hang out between the seat and frame. Just makes access simpler.

Anyway, it's a piece of change at ~$460 w/ shipping. However, it's the singular most influential bit on the bike to determine how much you're going to enjoy your longer rides (which I do as often as possible). No more than just another mid-range helmet (of which I now own four).

Thanks all, for your responses.

JSP

Super Moderator
I like the banana seat.

Bert-Aus

10 characters... Shifted to freebies

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BKP

Well... pulling the trigger on it tomorrow... I'll post pics when it comes in (although, the Fizzer they use in the pics above, is my bike -- copper/raven 2011).

...this better be damned comfy for $460+...

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

BKP

Expect it to be hard initially! they take some serious break in.
That's what I've heard. ~1500 miles, give or take. But, what they say about the soft seats makes sense: that the foam compresses too quickly, and they actually create pressure points by compressing down to the base over time, whereas the dense foam in the Corbin never compresses that far, rather it conforms to your ass over time.

Final decision to make is on leather type. Thoughts?

Carbon Fiber which is their leather, but with a "nylon weave bonded on the surface." I don't don't know what that means, but I'm a little wary about *any* nylon on the surface. When I called them, they said it was just stamped leather, but that's not what their site says:

OR:

Traditional Leather:

SpawnXX

Premium Member
Last edited:

SpawnXX

Premium Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

BKP

it all depends on how you ride... I spend 6-8 hrs in the saddle at a time and its on my top 5 to buy list.

If your only doing an hour or two at a time it probably isn't worth it.

I am workig my way towards touring the fz6r slowly, that is why the seat is a must for me.
I agree 110%.

I can't seem to stop buying helmets... averaging in price a little more than what this seat costs. So, once I realized what an ass I am for agonizing over the price point of what will be the *biggest* comfort factor on my longer rides, I realized it's time. I'll skip a new helmet next fall, to assuage my conscience (besides, I stopped buying scuba gear -- THAT will put you in the poor house in no time!)...