Aftermarket Corbin Seat

BKP

ok. I was wondering if there is another vendor that might be selling it for a bit cheaper. I just can't seem to justify paying $400+ for a seat... :shakehead:
No one else sells Corbin, but Corbin, since they're built to order. Same with Russell. I think there are a few other vendors like Top Saddlery, in France, there's Mustang, others.

And, then there are the "enhancements" like Sheepskin, AirHawk (both of which I have). If you don't want to spring for a new seat, I'd recommend the AirHawk... It's literally saved my ass on some of these 6 hour Sunday rides... However, I always saw it as a temp solution...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BKP

Ordered it yesterday.

Decided not to go with the Carbon Fiber (I'm a born non-conformist). So, went with the Black mercedes leather for the front and tail seating, and "Asphalt" for the side panels (they recommended the Asphalt for gripping, and apparently it holds up much better than leather side panels -- they *strongly* recommended vinyl rather than leather side panels).

It's not in stock (few are), so 4-5 weeks before it comes in, they tell me. $439 + $40 shipping... Steep, but, still cheaper than a good helmet, and just as important (to me), if not more, from a comfort perspective... assuming it's really all that --

I'll post pics when it comes in, and a review pre- and post- break-in (which, during a nice warm April-May, shouldn't take more than a month).

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

BKP

I've heard really good things about the Sargents. I checked out their site, and didn't see a template/model for the FZ6R.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SpawnXX

Premium Member

BKP

Well... the Corbin came in today. Took about a two hour tour with it (and going on one of our longer rides tomorrow into the north Ga. mountains for southern ribs!).

Anyway, first impression is I'm impressed. It's build is obvious quality. Solid as a rock. Leather is riveted, not stapled, and the foam is obviously dense (read: hard -- however, I know there's about a 1000 mile break-in to look forward to). Put it next to the OEM seat, and the difference in quality is ridiculously obvious.

It didn't seem to add any height to the seat, but, I've been using an Airhawk, which does, so I might not notice. With that in mind, compared to the stock seat, it probably adds 1/2". It *is* leather, as opposed to vinyl, like the stock seat, however, not anywhere near as slippery as I've been lead to believe it would be. It certainly allows you to slide better than stock, but only when you want to.

It fits into place solidly. No movement at all. I really like just needing the key to get to both the pillion storage and under the primary seat (I wired a new Zumo GPS in today, as well, and it was a pleasure to put the Corbin on, and take it off -- no bolts to remove).

There's definitely a difference in the slope of the seat (or lack of). You don't feel yourself sliding into the tank as easily as with stock. and when you slide back a bit, it's like slipping into a bucket seat.

So, bottom line, I've been through sheepskins, and Airhawks, and now the Corbin. If this breaks in like it's supposed to, it'll be worth every penny of the $470 -- Here's a few pics:

SpawnXX

Premium Member

sammy56

How is the seat? Broken in yet? Seems perfect.

LB

BKP

Update...
Have about 1200 miles in on the Corbin...

Final analysis -- wish I ordered this the day I brought the bike home...

As firm as the seat starts out, it doesn't take long before it molds *perfectly* to your butt... When you're riding a bit more aggressively and in more of a 3/4 or tuck, the 'bucket' cradles you and gives you a more secure feeling, but still makes it easy to slip your position from one side to the other easily.
When you're cruising, and a bit more upright you fit perfectly into what your butt has rendered over the last 1000 miles.

There are no pressure points, no feeling of bottoming out the foam, and the leather has a more substantial feel than the vinyl stock.

After a 2-1/2 hour ride, today, I felt just as comfortable as when I started out. That's *never* been the case with either the stock, the stock with the sheepskin, or the stock with the Airhawk.

I like the single seat convenience, as well as the look. Corbin seams to have done a better job fitting the baseplate to 6R than Yamaha...

Finally, I think it looks 1000% better than the stock... you have to put them side by side to appreciate the difference.

Big recommendation for this Corbin... I'll be ordering one for *any* sport or ADV bike I buy in the future --

BKP

One of the members asked for a few additional pictures of the Corbin after break-in. I have about 2500 miles on it so far, and it still looks new, however, it continues to get more and more comfortable.

I'm convinced that (for me) the dense foam strategy Corbin uses is the way to go. It continues to "terraform" and it's now like sitting on a molded seat, yet still has enough 'give' to keep it comfortable. You can't tell by simply looking at it, since the changes are relatively subtle, and the foam has apparently compressed more where the pressure points are. If the foam were any less dense, I think the danger would be that it would ultimately compress to the baseplate, which, I believe, the stock does to some degree.

Other advantages I've found...
- The seat doesn't have as much of a slope towards the gas tank, so, you're not finding yourself pushing back at stop lights/signs to avoid junk-crush...
- When I ride more aggressively, I tend to slide back just a bit, and get close to the tank (tank bag) during hard turns. The Corbin has a 'bucket-seat' feel, when you're in that position, and gives you a solid "cradled" impression.
- The leather/stitching seems to be holding up very well, with no signs of wear. I've used a water-proofer on it that I've used on gloves and boots in the past. Haven't had a chance to test it, but, I *will* be ordering a waterproof seat cover just in case...

Again, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat...

Here are a few more pics, after 2500 miles:

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

sammy56

So after considering many options, I too have ordered the Corbin seat. Can't wait to get it!!
I considered so many alternatives including simply buying a new bike and investing in the new bike. Cruiser with a custom seat...couldn't do it...I would miss riding my way in the mountains.
Upgrading to an FZ1 and putting a custom seat on it along with fresh sets of Givi hard bags...couldn't do it...could not justify the cost.
Upgrading to a BMW....just don't have the cash and I still believe the FZ1 is better for me anyway!!
I think I will though add the "semi-hard" Give saddlebags...I already have the bracket on my bike that they secure to. Looks like my pillion just inherited an Airhawk cushion. :D:D:D:D:D

LB

sammy56

Here it is.....
I put a gel pad I had over the pillion to add cushion for my wife. I strapped the saddlebag over the gel pad.
Can't wait to ride and break in the seat. Got home and it was at the door...took about one minute to put on!

LB

Attachments

Kayo7

Here it is.....
I put a gel pad I had over the pillion to add cushion for my wife. I strapped the saddlebag over the gel pad.
Can't wait to ride and break in the seat. Got home and it was at the door...took about one minute to put on!

LB
What Gel Pad do you have? I am looking to get one for my girlfriend to give her added comfort but don't know which one to get.

sammy56

Great question and I don't actually know....I bought it from someone on this forum a few years back....

Rode into work today on the new Corbin seat...seems comfy and looking forward to breaking it in.
Interestingly enough, it seems I sit a bit forward so I am not in the "bucket" part of the seat. I do not forsee this as an issue, but we'll know more after the break in period. Felt good so far albeit a very short 15 mile commute this morning.

LB

Cerebus

Here it is.....

LB
Which materials (and colors) did you go with?