After Market Tires

ME_with_a_B

I just ordered Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires.

I got a small rock of glass stuck in my rear tire some time in the past week and I'm not liking the idea of riding with it in there for very much longer (its not leaking air) -- so I'm replacing both tires once these new ones arrive. Amazon.com had the best price (front and rear shipping from different vendors) The tires I'm riding on now are the original ones, and have 11.5k miles on them anyway...

I know nothing about tires :confused:, so I hope these will be okay. We shall see...

JonKerr

Elite Member

Grinch79

Dealership is saying 170 is as big as we can go with our swingarm and rim. He said the difference between a 160 & 170 is less than an inch in diameter.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
So... what happened? Are you a elephant hunter?:))
I'm a couple of months away till the tire change is due, I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible.
Not yet.... :eek:

I had to go out of town last weekend, so I didn't make it to the dealership. I will try again this weekend.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Alrighty, new tires!

So, I called the dealership this morning to ask if they had the Metzeler M5 tires in stock and they said they did. So I rode over there and dropped it off at the service bay. I didn't have a ride, so I stuck around. Good thing I did, cuz they didn't actually have the M5's in stock. Guess I won't be hunting elephants this time around. :rant:

So I ended up with the Shinko Raven 009's in the stock sizes. The switcheroo actually saved me $100 bucks! :steve: I only road about 10 miles back to work, but they feel like they want to tip in a lit easier than the stock tires. I have read mixed reviews about them, but I will save judgment for when I have put a few hundred miles on them. :p

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the same... but keep in mind, I had 12k mile on stocks, I had flat spots, the tires wanted to follow every crack in the road... It's been 9 months since I road on fresh stock tires, so I can't really say the pilot road 2ct are more wanting to lean in, or if it's just been a while since I wasn't riding on flattened tires.... just something to keep in mind.
Yeah, I definitely had the flat spot on the rear tire. :spank: The last few weeks was when I really started to push the tires and they were hesitant to tip in, likely due to the flat spot. These Shinko's don't have a tremendous crown to them like the PP or the Metzeler tires. I'll try to get some pics later so people can see what they look like.

ETA: I also noticed that the Metzeler M3's also have the elephant on them, just not the lean indicators found on the M5's. So you can hunt that pesky pachyderm with the M3's as well. :rockon:

Last edited:

Roaddawg

So I ended up with the Shinko Raven 009's in the stock sizes. The switcheroo actually saved me $100 bucks! :steve: I only road about 10 miles back to work, but they feel like they want to tip in a lit easier than the stock tires. I have read mixed reviews about them, but I will save judgment for when I have put a few hundred miles on them. :p
Gotta keep us updated on those. I just found some online (cyclegear) for $162 front and rear! That's crazy talk there.

JSP

Super Moderator
I've put about 450 miles on my Pilot Road 2CT's and absolutely love them! They are scrubbed in nicely and grip great. I am definitely going to continue buying these as long as they are available.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the pictures that I promised. The first two are the rear tire and the third is the front tire. You can't see it very well in the pictures, but I have wore off the shiny new tire sheen to the same point that my old tires were scrubbed to. Not even a hint of them getting squirly on me, and these are brand spanking new tires from the factory this year (week 8 and 15 to be precise).

Once they get fully scrubbed in, I think I might like these tires. :cool:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick update...

I haven't had to ride in the rain yet with the new shoes, but I like how they handle on dry pavement. The bike tips in a lot easier, and it requires very little input to stay in a lean. Sometimes, I actually found myself needing to reduce the amount of counter-steering to keep from leaning too far for the corner and my speed into the corner.

I've got about 150 miles on them, so I will gradually start to push them and see how they handle then.

ME_with_a_B

I've put about 450 miles on my Pilot Road 2CT's and absolutely love them! They are scrubbed in nicely and grip great. I am definitely going to continue buying these as long as they are available.
I spent the weekend on my new Pilot Road 2's also, and after a few hundred miles - the corners feel awesome. I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with these tires as well.

Pizz

I have Pilot Road 2's on my ZX14 and will be switching to them on the FZ6R when the OEM's are done. Much better in the corners.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE on the Shinko Raven 009's

Ok, I finally managed to get some time on wet pavement with the new Shinko Raven 009's. I like them! They are better than stock on dry pavement and they are a little more confidence inspiring on wet pavement. I rode like I normally do, slightly aggressively around curves, and the tires held pretty well. However, one area that was less than ideal was the metal joints between bridge sections. The front tire got real squirmy when going over them with only moderate lean angles.

The pavement was wet, but it wasn't a downpour, so I guess I'll wait for another day to ride when it's coming down in buckets.

Overall, these are good tires. We'll see how many miles I get out of them. I got 8k out of the stock tires. When these die, I still want to try out the Metzelers.