Yamaha's Fz-09

rskinz6r

its replacing the FZ8, I think yamaha had that bike for 3 years only??? Must not have sold a whole lot. They look like they are kinda targeting the Street Triple and the Kawasaki Z800 except the US isnt getting the Z800. Looks kinda cool and would have considered it had i not gotten the gixxer

BoneJj

I like the idea of it but I wouldn't bother with it unless they had a full fairing version like my ninja 1000.

abyss1406

i am thoroughly cheesed. i mean..... come on yamaha, please devolp something for the fz6r like adjustable shocks or an exhaust system. but nooooooo, you had to develop a prestine piece of machinery that i want now. thanks *gets off soap box

JSP

Super Moderator
Hmm.... so it IS coming to the US.. May be my next bike. Luckily I will have to wait a year or so before getting another one, so I can get a feel for it and read up on all the reviews.

I loved the 8, and this is all the 8 is and more. (and less weight!). I bet that engine sounds sick too. Like stated, price is great too.

Throw an FE on it, take off the mirrors and put on bar ends, get rid of those awful turn signals, etc and its a mean lookin machine! Especially after I had Chad to a retro fit on it! I dig it.

Last edited:

bleedinblue

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Thats what i'm saying.For the price of a premium bike like the Super Tenere, I can keep the Fz6r for touring and buy one of the new triples to play around on.
I like the idea of a whole new engine like this.. Not just some de-tuned sloppy seconds of R6/R1 engines. (although the design is proven...). Something new like this is bound to have some kinks maybe? Either way, thats a good thing too I will have to wait. Make sure they get it all sorted out, find out the common bugs, what to look out for, etc.

I like it though... Ugly duckling kind of way. I see the jewel behind all the rough. If all goes well with it, I am pretty sure I may get one.

Oh, and cannot forget Marthy. Would indeed have him hook it up as well to get that ugly, in plain view exhaust box out of there as well!

Only real concern is the small gas tank...

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Glad to see Yamaha putting out some new product, but not convinced by the blue wheels, woulda been better in black IMO, I guess you could get them redone. But, for $8K and the potential lower insurance, it could be a great value in terms of performance per dollar.

I do like the all naked look better than the FZ1 (ala FZ8), but for many riders that lack of wind protection is an issue. Looking forward to the inevitable STriple vs FZ09 comparison, but the STriple got years of development ahead of the FZ09 and will likely win that contest.

newfz6rguy

Here's the sound clip....not bad, but I can't wait till Marthy gets a crack at that exhaust!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Nc16nULEE]New Yamaha MT09 2014 intro - YouTube[/ame]

JSP

Super Moderator
Doesnt sound much different ...

Detrich

The FZ8 is already a great-looking naked inline 4. So honestly I don't get the FZ9 at all..

Yamaha has its head up its *** if it thinks that a slightly cheaper version will lure Triumph customers, because those buyers are intent on badging and a Euro bike.

Yamaha's efforts would be better spent on lightening the weight of the R1 and adding more safety features (ABS, TCS, steering dampeners etc) to the R6.

LOL. Don't get what they're doing.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

ksanbon

I'm excited because this one is just the beginning w/ more to come. I'd love to see a middleweight sport-tourer in the near future.

Bert-Aus

Like others,

Love the look and idea,:D
...but I am going to wait to see what bugs develop and hopefully (fingerX'd) they develop a faired version

At least they have developed something drastically different for the CC size rather than the FZ8, which was pretty good, but not enough for most people to differeniate it from the FZ1:(

This may be a winner in years to come, but time will tell
For now will keep drooling at the red one or dark with blue highlights

EsrTek

Is that all they debuted 1 bike?

Loved to see this bike w full fairings and I'm not a fan of naked bikes.
That said....for some reason I like this bike esp in the purple (think I seen a purple version in one of these threads links)

I might have to test ride one of these.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

RoadTrip

The FZ8 is already a great-looking naked inline 4. So honestly I don't get the FZ9 at all..

Yamaha has its head up its *** if it thinks that a slightly cheaper version will lure Triumph customers, because those buyers are intent on badging and a Euro bike.

Yamaha's efforts would be better spent on lightening the weight of the R1 and adding more safety features (ABS, TCS, steering dampeners etc) to the R6.

LOL. Don't get what they're doing.
Yeah, I think there are still a lot of improvements that can be made to all the Japanese supersports, Kawi is trying. I guess it all comes down to the bean counters, a small profit is better than no profit seems to be their approach.