Wrecked my 09 FZ6R

bikerMommy

It's been a while since I've been on here, and for good reason. I wrecked my bike a few months ago and I'm finally getting back on my feet. I hit the back of a jeep at about 45mph who pulled out in front of me and stopped, claimed he didn't see me. Anyhow, I went over the top of the bike and landed in the back of his jeep. I broke my back in 3 places, dislocated and fractured my hip, broke my elbow, and had to have emergency surgery to stop internal bleeding. Spent weeks in the hospital, months in a full back brace, and a lot of time thinking and being thankful. Now I'm back on my feet (I'd say at about 70%, I still have a long way to go) but I'm ready for a new bike, any recommendations? And I also have no idea what to do with my wrecked bike.. I attached a picture of what my bike used to look like, and what it looks like now. Seems everything is pretty much broken on it. The forks are bent, the front wheel is pinned to the headers, the headers are crushed, the tank is trashed, all the plastics are broken, the taillight is even cracked, the only thing I was able to salvage from it was the two brothers carbon fiber can from the full exhaust and the juice box, and some aftermarket grips.

Attachments

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
OMG! So sorry to hear about this. I hope you are getting a good settlement from that jack ass.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

bloodypulp

I wish u a very painless rest of ur recovery. Please take what u can get from the blind idiot. I also applaud u for having the passion to ride again. Be well!:)

bikerMommy

Thanks guys. I'm definitely ok, better than ok. I have a whole new perspective on life. Recovery has been very dificult and I've gained a whole lot of patience (something I've always struggled to maintain), but I'm getting there and i'll be stronger than ever before you know it. Plus, I rocked that backbrace ;) Never lose your silver lining, there are blessings in everything

Attachments

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

tatty2012

So sorry to hear about this. My father was in a bike accident about 13 years ago. Shattered 2 of his vertebrae and, his now ex-girlfriend, is paralyzed from the waste down. Fortunately for you, this did not happen. From my experience, this is a long and painful recovery, but you can make it! And to see that you are wanting back on a bike, after this, shows how passionate you are about riding. Good luck with the rest of your recovery and take your time with it and also take your time to find another bike. Get 110% better before you ride again.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Spunky99

Good to hear you have put this behind you and moved forward.
70% is good and as you slowly get back to 100% you will appreciate the freedom to exercise and be healthy again.

Well....you pretty much broke that bike beyond salvage so lets see what your options are. Depending on the Bozo's insurance coverage you have some options.

Have you decided on a cruiser, tourer or crotch rocket or are you craving something else? (Motard)

I'd go big..like a 1000cc or bigger bike. Panigale.....or YZF-R1 or CRB1000RR or BMW 1000RR.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

bikerMommy

Glad you are safe and on the mend. It is very hard to pick up the pieces after a major medical issue and the sometimes long road to recovery.

About salvage on the bike, it's hard to tell from the photos but possibly the headlight housing is still in one piece. You can get at least $120-$150 on that with ebay alone or to someone here on the forum if it's in good condition. I hope you come out on top with the salvage and find a beautiful new cycle to join us back on the road! :thumbup:
Thanks, I can't wait to get back on the road. It'll be a little while cause I'm still not 100% yet, but I'm looking for bikes now because picking your bike shouldn't be an overnight kind of decision. I am super excited for the future though and getting back out there on 2 wheels. My 2012 Mustang GT 5.0 fulfills my need for speed but it doesn't quite quench the passion that only riding a bike can.

As for the headlight, the front is cracked in several places and scratched badly and the back of the housing is shattered, even the mounts are badly bent and broken. The driver seat was broken off the latch, the passenger seat latch is bent badly, 2 out of 4 pegs survived with little damage, other than that maybe the framesliders spared the motor? Who knows. I have a mechanic friend who's guna come look at it over the weekend

SpawnXX

Premium Member

bikerMommy

Good to hear you have put this behind you and moved forward.
70% is good and as you slowly get back to 100% you will appreciate the freedom to exercise and be healthy again.

Well....you pretty much broke that bike beyond salvage so lets see what your options are. Depending on the Bozo's insurance coverage you have some options.

Have you decided on a cruiser, tourer or crotch rocket or are you craving something else? (Motard)

I'd go big..like a 1000cc or bigger bike. Panigale.....or YZF-R1 or CRB1000RR or BMW 1000RR.
I've been thinking either R1 or CBR1000RR but it really depends on how well my back heals. I crushed my T10, L1, and L4. So the aggressive seating position might force me to move on to a cruiser, in which case I wouldn't even know where to begin

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member