Wrecked my 09 FZ6R

bikerMommy

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

bikerMommy

What a horrible story. I am so sorry for you. Unfortunately riding these things can be dangerous which is partly the reason why we ride. Seeing that you had some broken disks in your back just makes me dam near want to shed a tear for your pain. No fun i'm sure. Knowing that one day, my time may come while on a bike I was curious to what gear you were wearing? Knowing you had injuries I was curious what brand you think saved this body part or that & which gear let you down?

Excited to see what bike you choose when the time comes.
I don't think there could've been any gear that could've lessened my injuries. I was VERY lucky. I hit a jeep, had I hit something with a more solid back side and not an open top I would've probably broken my neck. If I would've laid it down I would've been hit head on by a dodge durango. I was wearing my icon helmet, it took some serious damage but my head didn't take the damage. I was wearing my icon jacket and gloves, I broke my elbow but took on no cuts in those areas. My Icon gear didn't let me down, I think it held up as well as any other would have in that situation. The only thing that could've been better was if I was wearing leathers, I had a nasty gash on my right knee from catching some part of the bike when flipping over the top. Oh and a cup, lol. My uh.. well "business" for lack of a better word, hit the tank hard enough to leave a huge dent before I was thrown over the top. The inside of my thighs were deep blue and purple from the inside of one knee to the other from the trauma :eek:

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

bikerMommy

Mommy, Question about the jacket. Do you know off hand which one it was? Icon motor head, contra, overlord, ect? Did you have the standard back protector in it that comes with the icons or had you upgraded? Also, Do you think your back injuries were caused from blunt force or hyper extention?

Sorry, trying to learn all I can from a survivor...
I don't know what jacket it is, but I attached a pic of it. It did have the standard back protector in it. My back injuries were caused from hyper extension. My head hit the back of the jeep while by backside was flipping over the top, crushing 3 vertebrae from bending backwards so violently.

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

BKP

That *is* a Contra... I have the same, in slate blue.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

BoneJj

I don't think there could've been any gear that could've lessened my injuries. I was VERY lucky. I hit a jeep, had I hit something with a more solid back side and not an open top I would've probably broken my neck. If I would've laid it down I would've been hit head on by a dodge durango. I was wearing my icon helmet, it took some serious damage but my head didn't take the damage. I was wearing my icon jacket and gloves, I broke my elbow but took on no cuts in those areas. My Icon gear didn't let me down, I think it held up as well as any other would have in that situation. The only thing that could've been better was if I was wearing leathers, I had a nasty gash on my right knee from catching some part of the bike when flipping over the top. Oh and a cup, lol. My uh.. well "business" for lack of a better word, hit the tank hard enough to leave a huge dent before I was thrown over the top. The inside of my thighs were deep blue and purple from the inside of one knee to the other from the trauma :eek:
That's just insane, nice to know you are at least recovering the best possible at this point. I do hope you have a complete recovery from this with no lasting problems. I myself have been down a nasty road from recovery from a ATV injury that took over 6 months to recover from. It's a hell of a road....

I've often wondered what could be done to improve the groin protection on bikes. I often want to change the shape of my seat and add a good 2 inches of really dense foam padding right there so that I can get a little more padding if I ever had that issue.

There are those air bag vests but IDK that they would really work with that area well seeing as most of them require you to be completely off the bike before they inflate. That might be something to help save your back though if you ever have such an issues ever again. I've been tempted to get one of those but they are pricey.

S

Schybrid

the jacket you mentioned had back protection, then how did you injury your back ?
is the back protector in jacket just for a flat backside laydown protection per say ?

do they make aa good back protector for the spine to prevent this sort of injury, crushing,hyperextensions ???

i know they make that HANS looking device, but i think it was for the neck, not the back.

also, i already have a bad disc in my neck, C6, and have to use a very lightweight helmet,Nexx XR1R carbon fiber, but would one of the neck rolls(generic donut type) help with some of the helmet weight off my neck ? someone said they wont let my head turn, but a dealer said that you could open it and possibly adjust it by cutting down a bit of the foam.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Flipflash