Would you trust my tires?

sti491

Just bought a cream puff! 2012 one owner (64 year old is engineer friend who passed) Raven with 2,200 miles, always garaged, hardly ever saw sunshine. Mint. It still smells new!

Tires look brand new. No sign of any cracks, dry rot or anything. Look perfect. 5 years old almost always inside, taken for short conservative rides. Wear on back tire center is negligible, doesn't look like it was ever cornered hard inspecting the tires.

I am I inclined to ride it and watch them. My son says replace them now. He was in the car tire business for a while.

I am 64 and don’t intend to track it... I’ll ride it relatively conservatively, to be honest.

What do ya’ll think?

jfruauff

I say if they dont look dry rotted at all youll be ok. I just picked up a 09 with 1250 miles and its on original tires. They look like new so I been driving on them no issues at all.

Clovis Man

I bet they don't have the traction they used to. Be careful if you corner hard.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

sti491

Thanks for the replies!

BluePill

As they say, "Everything Rides on your tires" Lots of rubber compounds harden with time and loose traction potential, even if there are no signs of dry rot or cracks. Manufacturers recommend replacing when over 6 years from date of manufacture.

I don't like spending money, but good tires and brakes are not the place to save money, IMO.

BTW I recently mounted Bridgestone S21 tires front and rear and really love them They make the handling very crisp.

kiggaxwut

I have a similar issue with mine. 2011 model with a 7 year old front and 5 year old rear. No dry rot, cracking, etc. Tread pattern is good, and similar to yours the chicken strips on the edges could feed a small family.

I just ordered shiny new T30 Evos because I'm a simpleton who misreads codes. I really thought my tires were from 2001. But, after thinking the brand new tires I received were 5 years old, I did some more research and figured out my mistake. Now I'm at a similar crossroads, but there's nothing like brand new rubber. I'm still deciding whether to swap 'em now or wait until next season.

sti491

I am going to buy new in the spring. I don't think there is anything "wrong" with my 5 year old tires other than they are 5 years old. Fresh rubber is nice.

sti491

So I get a tack in my front tire that put me over the edge and I bought new tires. I have another post on my tire changing escapade.

I got Metzeller Sportetc M7 RR'S. The bike rides SOOOOOOOOOO much better. Ever since I got my bike a few months ago, which I check air pressures on before every ride, I thought the ride was very stiff. With these new tires it's WAY more comfortable, not to mention the grip. Literally, it feels like a different bike. Those 5+ year old OEM tires had got hard and stiff.

My advice after this experience, if you have 5+ year low mileage tire - change them out. You will be happy like me!

BluePill

FWIW, if the tires you replaced were Battlax BT-021 they sucked from new. Anything is an improvement.

Enjoy your upgraded ride!

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

sti491

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure if the suckage was most age or model?!

My new Metzeler's rock.

FWIW, if the tires you replaced were Battlax BT-021 they sucked from new. Anything is an improvement.

Enjoy your upgraded ride!