windscreen advice

fonz

I'm planing on doing some longer distance riding this spring. The seat doesn't bother me, nor does the vibration at 60 mph. The one thing I know will bother me is the wind buffeting. I'm 5'-9" and have the stock windscreen. I heard the double bubble doesn't help to much. Any suggestions would be apprectiated.

Last edited:
I'll have to disagree with the statement that the double bubble doesn't help. I'm 5'10" and it is a major improvement over the stock as far as wind buffeting. However, I do have a tendancy to tuck a little but the difference between stock and DB was night and day for me. If you don't want to take the chance on the DB you could always check out the PUIG touring screen. It is taller.

Check the link below for forum comments:
New Puig Touring Windscreen

Look into the MRA Vario Touring Screen or the Laminar Lip if you want a substantial improvement.

Most other windscreens will be only marginally better or a compromise. A really big windscreen (like Marthy's) might work, but watch out for negative pressure turbulence.

I'm one of the ones who found virtually no difference between stock and Yammi Double Bubble. I think there are so many variables when you're testing a windscreen (speed, wind, cross-wind, traffic, etc.) that you almost need to test windscreens back-to-back in identical conditions to get a good sense of the difference. Or put a ton of miles on both and take good mental notes.

All I know is that I am 5'10", and get tons of turbulence from my Double Bubble at speeds over 100 kph. I don't want to tuck in for hours at a time on the highway.

I chopped close to 1.5 inches from my screen and it removed all the buffeting and airflow problems at freeway speeds. It was so much more comfortable.

Cee Bailey's 18" is what you need. Cee Baileys | 2009 & UP YAMAHA FZ6R Windshield
I also cut 5" off the top of the stock one and use it as a lip. I think it is most you can do. But even as is, it is very good.
In the summer I change back to stock (what left of it) and feels great on backroads. No buffeting or turbulence.

just my 2 cents. I am 5' 10" and have the Puig Touring windscreen in dark smoke. it fits very nicely and minimal wind buffeting. I have had it since 2009 and have been very happy with it. in retrospect, I would've bought the clear since it's a fairly large screen, it does take away some of it's sporty look a bit. The clear looks better in my opinion. I commute daily on windy SoCal highways and average speed 75 to 80 mph and it definitely does the job. I am not sure how available they are in the US, it took 2 months or more for mine to be order abroad. I ordered it from a Puig distributor directly.
Regarding the cut wind screen: I have cut the windscreen but rarely use it unless I am riding locally, no highway. At fast highway speeds, you get a lot direct wind on your chest. for short rides it's okay, but not for long rides.

Good luck!

windscreen

I am close to 5 8 what windscreen would anyone recommend for higher speeds on highway. I am new to biking so have no clue. some mentioned cutting the stock etc etc, any tips...

I've got the Puig Touring (clear) on order for two months now... supposed to arrive next month. I'm only ordering it for cold weather riding... Summer, Fall, and Spring (in Atlanta) is warm enough, that I actually enjoy the wind hitting me with the stock... even at highway speeds...

I love my Puig Racing screen. It smooths the airflow nicely and, in my opinion, the dark smoke on the Raven 6R looks great.

BTW, I'm 6'2".

I've got the Puig Touring (clear) on order for two months now... supposed to arrive next month. I'm only ordering it for cold weather riding... Summer, Fall, and Spring (in Atlanta) is warm enough, that I actually enjoy the wind hitting me with the stock... even at highway speeds...

Barry ... I've seen you mention this before. I purchased a smoke PUIG touring windscreen from PowersportsParts.net back in July and received it within days. They show 10 in stock at $113 with free shipping. I wasn't able to find anyone with the clear.

Here's the link: http://www.powersportparts.net/PUIG-WSCRN-TOUR-SMK-FZ6R-10-11-5548H-p/tr20-3000.htm

Richard

p.s. I'm in Brookhaven ... maybe we should ride sometime. PM me if you're interested.

Barry ... I've seen you mention this before. I purchased a smoke PUIG touring windscreen from PowersportsParts.net back in July and received it within days. They show 10 in stock at $113 with free shipping. I wasn't able to find anyone with the clear.

Here's the link: PUIG WSCRN TOUR-SMK FZ6R 10-11 5548H

Richard

p.s. I'm in Brookhaven ... maybe we should ride sometime. PM me if you're interested.
Thanks, Richard... I gave up looking for an available clear Touring screen as well... and just pulled the trigger on the back-order with KneeDraggers a couple of months ago. They tell me it should be late next month... we'll see.

Absolutely, would love to ride someday... I'm in the John's Creek area. That would put you only about 20 miles or so south of me... My riding buddy is still recovering from a wreck (Suches Loop did him in last month), but always looking for others to ride with... Weather is about perfect right now... I'll PM you with particulars...

By the way... You didn't happen to pick up your copper at Lawrenceville, did you? Someone beat me to that one by --literally-- 20 minutes, they tell me (Jeff was the salesman) -- wondering if that was you, since they're so scarce around here. Took me another few weeks to find another local copper... Couldn't be happier with it...

Anyway... watch for the PM...

Back