Will everyone have a "mishap" sooner or later?

MIRIDER

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f38/please-post-about-your-mishaps-here-17173/

Since I'm new here and a noob rider I thought I would ask.

So the thread above got me thinking, so did the "Biker getting rear ended and got caught on tape." Although that thread could have been about something else but I'm glad it wasn't.

Is it just a matter of time before everyone has a "mishap" or can one ride for years and years without a "mishap?"

I am aware riding around in my car, I know I will be on my bike and I know sometimes there is nothing you can do. But I would hate to think that everytime I go out I will be waiting for a "mishap" to happen. The self inflicted mishap aside.

karl213

You just have to think about it like this, everytime you go out the cagers are out to get ya

Spunky99

There are 2 types of motorcycle riders, those that have gone down and those that are going to go down. I've gone down a few times over the years and luckily have never hurt myself on the dirt or in the street.
The term ATGATT means wear all the gear all the time. It may be years or it may be days but one day you will be glad you had the protection on.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f38/please-post-about-your-mishaps-here-17173/

Since I'm new here and a noob rider I thought I would ask.

So the thread above got me thinking, so did the "Biker getting rear ended and got caught on tape." Although that thread could have been about something else but I'm glad it wasn't.

Is it just a matter of time before everyone has a "mishap" or can one ride for years and years without a "mishap?"

I am aware riding around in my car, I know I will be on my bike and I know sometimes there is nothing you can do. But I would hate to think that everytime I go out I will be waiting for a "mishap" to happen. The self inflicted mishap aside.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

jay

Instead of thinking that everytime u r riding there is a mishap awaiting.... think how well you are prepared to getaway with it... of course nothing can guarantee your safety... not the most expensive gears.. not the vision vests to stand out on the road... but that's all you can do to be safe out there... people die everyday..... that's the fact:D

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely, there is no reason not to wear gear. Just like playing football without any equipment. You just wouldn't do that, because it is very likely that you will need it.
That's called rugby!! :rof:

Anyway, statistics show that new riders are most likely to have their "mishap" in the first 6 months of riding. Like FZRblack stated, a mishap could be tipping it over in your garage or dumping it on the streets. As long as you are aware of what you are doing as well as the drivers around you, you have a better chance of avoiding the mishaps. Stay alert and ATGATT.

Spunky99

Instead of thinking that everytime u r riding there is a mishap awaiting.... think how well you are prepared to getaway with it... of course nothing can guarantee your safety... not the most expensive gears.. not the vision vests to stand out on the road... but that's all you can do to be safe out there... people die everyday..... that's the fact:D
If I thought the way you just posted, I'd be dead.
This is on the Private Pilot's test and it's called the invulnerability factor.
The moment you think this way, you are a danger to yourself and everyone on the ground.

You don't need to obsess on safety, enjoy the ride but there is a term that we all should learn and understand. "Situational awareness". This will keep you safe while having fun. This is precisely what the stunt pilots use that fly at 200 mph upside down about 3 feet off the ground in airshows are using. They are 100% focused and aware of where they are in relation to their surroundings. Some of them can be heard laughing and whooping while doing aerobatics too.....

Detrich

i think everyone has mishaps, and it's just a matter or when and how... riding is dangerous- period. so, we all need to learn how to manage our risk at all times. that means, wearing the proper protection, staying alert, and learning to expect the unexpected at all times...

and, i'm no exception to the rule... i had my very first mishap on a very quiet, residential neighborhood near the Rose Bowl, which is where I did most of my intial newbie practicing. at the time, i had only had my bike for 1 month. i was done practicing for that afternoon, and I was on my way home. i was the only person stopped, waiting at a red light at a T-intersection, and waiting to make a right turn. all the sudden a middle-age woman driving an Infinity G35 coupe decided to tap me from behind- outta nowhere. apparently she had merged onto that street from another residential street...

needness to say, the bump startled me, knocked me off balance, and I tipped over. and, my rear wheel made a nice little indentation in her front bumper. she came out, accepted the blame, and calmly apologized- saying that she didn't see me there. she stated she was on her way to Starbucks or something and that her mind was somewhere else. she apologized multiple times and repeatedly asked if I was ok.

anyhow. the bump wasn't that bad, but my bike did acquire some minor damage to the left side. so, i dusted myself off, politely accepted her apology, exchanged insurance info, and instead of riding home- rode directly over to the Yamaha dealer to drop off my bike for repairs. i remember thinking to myself @#$%^&!!! but, i also know that it could've been a lot worse, and i was thankful that it was minor bump- despite that yes it totally sucked. <lol> had i been more careful would i have avoided that? probably, maybe, yes, but who knows? <lol> but, now at least i know to always scan my mirrors religiously and always be weary of cars that sneak up from behind. i also immediately bought boots that cover my shins, knee guards, and leather gloves and jacket after that. (no more textile stuff!)

there is no such thing as waiting at a red light or stop sign. there is only, stop safely while checking who's around you constantly- period. be mindful of things, but don't let it scare or discourage you. respect the danger and the power of the bike. but, above all ride safely but have fun too! :)

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

DragonBlu

"Situational awareness". A very good term John. That is the way I have learned to ride for 40 some years. I have been down on dirt,gravel and pavement and gear minimizes injury,but being aware of what is going on around you will prevent a lot of risk.

MIRIDER

Once again everyone here seems to give some great insight from your experiences.
The nice thing about that is, I'm old enough to understand and to learn from your experiences and not so young to brush it off and say "it will never happen to me."

Detrich

just don't be like this guy... even his leathers look brand, spanking new... d'oh!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4]YouTube - Brand new Gixxer crashed[/ame]

:)

Queen

If I believed the old "there's only two kinds of rider..." axiom, I might not ride, it seems a little too much of a self fulfilling prophecy.

I've never been down so here's hoping I'll continue to beat the odds, hope you beat them too. :thumbup:

JSP

Super Moderator
Ive ridden for a few years on the street and never so much as really dropped my bike. (one time in the grass...), so I had thought I had beaten the odds of going down being I wasnt a new rider anymore. If it was going to happen, it would have happened then, so I though. Got complacent and lost focus and ended up in the hospital.

Some riders go their whole life without ever having an accident. Its just a good thing to realize that it CAN happen. It doesnt mean you will 100% have it happen, but the simple fact of riding a bike ups the chances. Most people will have a fender bender in a car, so its kind of the same thing. Some are worse than others, but it does usually happen to most people. Thats why you always wear your seat belt. Same as on the bike... always wear your gear.

Dont ride in constant fear of it happening. That can just make you loose focus on the road and cause an accident. Ride safe and defensive. When other cars are around you, assume they cannot see you and just try to stay at good distances and not pacing them. Same as left turners... Cover your brake and expect they will turn in front of you and proceed with caution.

Enjoy your ride and just stay focused and relaxed. :cool:

karl213

Just wear your gear and be mindful of your surroundings, I had two mishaps in 2010 so lets hope 2011 turns out better.

e.blackadder

It’s all the matter of statistics. My riding examiner told me he had been riding for 47 years and never had had an accident. My ex-army friend likes changing bikes every year and checking how fast they can go (nearly every time he goes out). He had a number of accidents, with a couple of totaled bikes, but he got through mostly unscathed. Between the two and me it evens out that everyone crashes.

JonKerr

Elite Member