Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Stay with FZ6R

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • Upgrade to something else

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters

JSP

Super Moderator
The most I have ever seen an FZ6R go was 135 mph. And I dont much even believe that speedo. May have had a different sprocket which was throwing off the speedo? Right about 130 mph seems about what she can do... True speed at 135 is actually around 122 or so.

Last edited:
F

FZ6R_Blue

i had a buddy on his r6 right beside me. there was a slight decline to the road(not a huge downhill) he was going same speed on his. NO lies no my bikes speedo is not off

Chevyfazer

Yamaha says their speedo's are off by about 5-10% from the factory so just because your buddies bike said the same speed don't mean his is right either....

KeysRider3

Like most I'm always interested in knowing what I'm capable of riding, and the R1 would certainly be a test of my ability, but so would any of the replic-racer liter bikes. I could opt for a FZ-1, either of Kawasaki's 1000s, or Honda's CB1000, but the 600 is a better fit for kinds of riding I do most. The FZ6R does most things really well, including go fast. But if you're real serious about going fast then enter the "Win A ZX-14R Race Against Ricky Gadsen And You Get To Keep The Bike".

F

FZ6R_Blue

I entered that contest the day it opened. I'm going to smoke him.. .champ or not.. that bike's going home with me

dcBear78

For some of us (me) a car is not an option. I ride, I don't drive. Don't have a car license.

So, I agree with the exhilaration & fun - but comfort & practicality are VERY important!

I agree that a 'Blade is probably a better bike. Not as much fun, though! Even better, a Gixxer 1000 - with 3 power settings the sensible AND faster option!
Yeah. Understand compromise is required in that situation.

My point with the blade was, don't necessarily keep it in the family when other brands are superior (right now). Gixxers are great, but round here they are a bit like a clitorus.

Sander Koop

Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Tmak73

I really don't think that a 1000CC supersport is all that practical but they are fast as hell. You will get better handling from the R1 for sure but it all depends on your needs. If this is something you feel you need go for it. I myself would never jump from our bike to 1000 super sport. That is a very big change in power.. I would look at a 675, 750, or an 800 myself. Ultimately the choice is up to you. Make a list of pros and cons to both bikes.

And I am not trying to bash you but I can't imagine anyone needing a bike that fast on the street.. to each their own.

Detrich

Imo, the only two SS 1000cc bikes that when "flying by you in the opposite direction in the canyons that you can readily identify without actually looking at it" are the S1000RR and the R1...

ESP the R1.

Those "ghost" headlights are like a mean stare telling u that they are coming to get you. lol So damn cool... :)

Every other dual or single headlight SS bike is sometimes harder to tell unless you look at it, which may or may not be possible if you're navigating a turn or what not. Was it a CBR? A Triumph? A R6? A GSXR? A ZX?

The R1 definitely makes its mark on the road I think. No mistaken identity for any other bike... But just my .02...

Spunky99

Buy Buy Buy...go for it......

FazerWest

Its a known fact that SS speedometers are off, and on purpose, most SS are going 5-10 mph SLOWER than what shows on the speedometer because people that ride them do speed, and its a deterant. But if you want to go fast and keep up with an r6 or whatever you plan to do, get an r1 and do track days, but r1's arnt practical for everyday riding, its not what they are built for, its a race bike. if you commute and ride your bike everyday, then stick with an everyday bike. And your insurance will skyrocket from the fz6r to a SS, and dont forget to keep it garaged if you get it, r6's and r1's get stolen or any SS for that matter, LOTS, well here in vegas at least.

Last edited:

dcBear78

but r1's arnt practical for everyday riding, its not what they are built for, its a race bike. if you commute and ride your bike everyday, then stick with an everyday bike.
The biggest surprise is this bit of preaching took 5 months to be said... :rolleyes:

BoneJj

The biggest surprise is this bit of preaching took 5 months to be said... :rolleyes:
I actually disagree with this, I've ridden my friends R1 for a couple hours at time so far and it's pretty damn comfortable to ride and I have screwed up arm from my time in the military. I never thought I'd be able to ride a SS again but the R1 is just that comfortable, sure it's not sport touring comfortable but I certainly like the riding position on the bike, it's much better than I ever thought it was going to be.

It's almost a given though that it needs a different exhaust though, it'll cook your nuts something fierce.....

Spunky99

I actually disagree with this, I've ridden my friends R1 for a couple hours at time so far and it's pretty damn comfortable to ride and I have screwed up arm from my time in the military. I never thought I'd be able to ride a SS again but the R1 is just that comfortable, sure it's not sport touring comfortable but I certainly like the riding position on the bike, it's much better than I ever thought it was going to be.

It's almost a given though that it needs a different exhaust though, it'll cook your nuts something fierce.....
The R1's cruise like a Harley if you want or ride like a MotoGP bike if that's what you want to do. It's the R6 that is tweeky peeky.

jocampo

Old post, so not sure if OP already took a decision or not.

On my case, I find my bike kind of a combination between commute and fun, keeping into consideration that my commute is really short, about 10 miles round trip. So comfort (back and wrist), mpg, low insurance, are a must to me. I also want a bike for weekends, doing some errands and visit B&N or take a short ride for fun.

I do not do track days and barely take highways, so at this point in my life, I would not upgrade to a super sport bike.

I guess that ultimately, is your decision, what you can afford and what you are trying to accomplish or satisfy with the purchase.

BoneJj

The R1's cruise like a Harley if you want or ride like a MotoGP bike if that's what you want to do. It's the R6 that is tweeky peeky.
Have you ever cruised on a harley and an R1.... I think not so, I have. It was comfortable for me, I did it for an hour the other day and I was completely happy doing so.