What type of oil to buy?

W

whatever

im running rottela 15w/40 t the oil is 12.00 a gallon so i can change the oil more offen. and i did some research and the oil is better then some high qualty oils that are sold today.

justgiver

I was planing on using the rottela oil, but the manual says not to use diesel oil.... that seems like might be a problem

pretty sure the rottela is a diesel oil

Read it again it says not to use diesel oil with a certain rating CD??? Can't remeber exactly, if you read the back of the Rotella bottle it doesn't have this distinction and is JSO approved, I'm using it and it seems good.

I'm thinking about using Valvoline 10W-40 Motorcycle oil at $4.45 a quart at my 600 mile service then switch to full synthetic at 4,000 miles. Anyone use this oil before?

ClickClick5

Not sure about that oil. I have always ran brand oil in mine (Yamalube right now) until the bike hits 4,000-4,100 miles. Then I switch to Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic. I used to run dino Rotella T, but the synthetic version flows so much better!

I always notice smoother shifting and fewer dry starts in cooler weather.

Go with the "Blue Jug"! BUT ONLY AFTER THE ENGINE IS WELL BROKEN IN!!!!!
That I can not stress enough.

W

whatever

yes no cd rating on the rottela label so i have been using it in my bike.

i would think after 2000 miles a motor is well broken in... but im no expert .02 $.

motomc2

I prefer Motul after about 1500 miles....but....

I have never had an engine problem because of the "brand" of oil....synthetic or dino. Most major makers (kawi, Yama, Honda etc) "Distribute" a good motorcycle oil. BUT....All they do is slap their name on the jug. I have never driven by a large Refinery and saw a big blue "yamaha" sign on the top of it....or a big red "Honda" sign :) Most important part is keeping it changed IMHO.

porky45

this may sound silly, but can someone post a picture of the rotella synthetic 5w-40.... Pretty sure i know which one it is, but i'm more of a visual guy and want to confirm.

edit: Guess it should look like this?

Attachments

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Kspalla

does the "Break in" time whats listed in the owners book as the 1000-1200 mile area??? or something totally dif... Running Mobil 1 10w-40 motercycle oil and haven't had any issues.. Will be trying to find somewhere close by to get something a little better next time but when the funds are low this was fine.

Roaddawg

does the "Break in" time whats listed in the owners book as the 1000-1200 mile area??? or something totally dif... Running Mobil 1 10w-40 motercycle oil and haven't had any issues.. Will be trying to find somewhere close by to get something a little better next time but when the funds are low this was fine.
Not sure exactly what your asking, but the break-in time is the first 1000 miles. After the first 600, you change the oil and filter. 0-600 miles, no prolonged throttle above 5800 RPM. 600-1000 miles, no prolonged throttle above 7000 RPM. As far as what oil to use....that's the long debate. Look up "oil" in the search and you'll find some discussions on it.

spider2k

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

spider2k

Elite Member
W

whatever

well the bike has hit the 5000 mile mark.... so instead of my mixture of 50 /50 i started to run the rottela 5w 40 at 100 %.

the bike ran real smooth and after using the reg rottela most times for the last 5000 miles the 15w/40 the shifting was awesome with the full syn 5w/ 40.

also hooked up the plug for the battery tender now the cord is under the passenger seat pretty cool, after not riding for one week i tried out the changer and the light went from red to flashing green to just constant greed in less then a hour.

won't be long now before i put the bike away for the winter. 2 to 3 weeks

we already had about 2 inches of snow rain but they only salted a little from what i could tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kspalla

Not sure exactly what your asking, but the break-in time is the first 1000 miles. After the first 600, you change the oil and filter. 0-600 miles, no prolonged throttle above 5800 RPM. 600-1000 miles, no prolonged throttle above 7000 RPM. As far as what oil to use....that's the long debate. Look up "oil" in the search and you'll find some discussions on it.

Sorry roaddawg usually when im on here its really late and sometimes what im thinking isn't whats written..... :)

I was wondering when it was ok to use full synthetic oil in the bike?, from what ive read on here and other posts its not a clear cut when but more of a preference.. i guess. anyhow thanks, ill just go with what the manual says

Hethrir

I have two friends who have been riding much longer than i have, both of them say its okay to put synthetic in after 1000 miles and that it wont hurt the bike. both of them have had multiple bikes over the years so id assume they know what theyre talking about.

motoneta123

where do you buy oil filter?

from what i can glean the m1-110 is one of the better filters as far as media amount and build. it seems that there are 10-15 different filters that fit and are the proper pressure spec though.
Does anyone buy oil filters locally? where can you get them? Do you know what filter brand, model # & where to buy?
K&N 204 is special order @ pep boys/autozone
here is a link about motorcycle oil filters:
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member