Weird noise on a 2012 with 2k on it?!

SiNx

Hello all,

this is my first post so I hope I am doing this right. :D

So I bought a 2012 FZ6R and haven't been ridding it much because I didn't have my full licence yet. As of tuesday I am now an autonomous bike noob!
But anyways, back to the subject at hand...

There is a loud noise, grinding/shaking/hissing, that comes from my bike. Loud enough to be heard going 40mph. It can mostly be heard when I go along a wall or parked cars. Anything that reverberates the sound.
I recently found out by lifting the back wheel off the ground and spinning it by hand that it seems to be coming from the chain/back sprocket.

Does this make any sens?! Should I put up a VDO of it with sound for you guys to hear?

The guys at the dealership said they had heard other people complain about it but had never heard it as well as on my bike. They said it was very obvious. So the Yamaha rep is being called upon, but at best I guess I can hope for a new chain/sprocket. Which they seem to be telling me is not going to fix my problem if the parts are machined the same...

I know it's not going to break on me or be dangerous, or at least it's not looking that way. But I would like to enjoy my nice NEW quiet bike for at least a summer before it starts making all kinds of noise.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom you guys are going to be throwing my way!

Hello all,

this is my first post so I hope I am doing this right. :D

So I bought a 2012 FZ6R and haven't been ridding it much because I didn't have my full licence yet. As of tuesday I am now an autonomous bike noob!
But anyways, back to the subject at hand...

There is a loud noise, grinding/shaking/hissing, that comes from my bike. Loud enough to be heard going 40mph. It can mostly be heard when I go along a wall or parked cars. Anything that reverberates the sound.
I recently found out by lifting the back wheel off the ground and spinning it by hand that it seems to be coming from the chain/back sprocket.

Does this make any sens?! Should I put up a VDO of it with sound for you guys to hear?

The guys at the dealership said they had heard other people complain about it but had never heard it as well as on my bike. They said it was very obvious. So the Yamaha rep is being called upon, but at best I guess I can hope for a new chain/sprocket. Which they seem to be telling me is not going to fix my problem if the parts are machined the same...

I know it's not going to break on me or be dangerous, or at least it's not looking that way. But I would like to enjoy my nice NEW quiet bike for at least a summer before it starts making all kinds of noise.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom you guys are going to be throwing my way!
Sounds like your chain...give it a good cleaning and lube. I prefer chain wax as there's no flinging. Welcome to the best hobby!

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

applejax

Chains make noises. While you clean//lube the chain just give it a nice inspection.

Check the slack, sprockets, etc.

SiNx

I hear you guys, I know a chain/sprockets make some noise.
But this is out of the ordinary. Its almost like a rattling sound, you know the same noise a baby's rattle box. Not sure that is the toy's name in english.

I also forgot to mention that only the tip or the sprocket teeth are "used". Is the chain supposed to sit at the bottom of the "U"?

I am not to worried about something breaking, I am just annoyed at the bike making so much noise, and a crappy one at that.

:rolleyes: I guess if I can't find a solution to this... I won't have a choice but to buy myself a TB exhaust to drown the whining with a nicer sound :D

JSP

Super Moderator
Make sure your chain is in proper tension/free play.. Measure by pressing down and then up. Really think its just your chain, they are noisy.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Superzoom

I agree with all the above that it's nothing to worry about. Just adjust your slack, also check chain alignment for chain straightness.

What kind of helmet are you wearing? Maybe your helmet gives very little sound dampening.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

SiNx

I wear an Icon Alliance SSR.

And just before anyone else says it, again and again...;)
The chain is very well greased, it is aligned and tensioned correctly. Or at least thats what the dealership is telling me. The mechanic actually told me I did a great job keeping it well oiled/greased.

I really think I should put a video on here maybe it will help or maybe it'll make me look like a fool... either way it can't hurt. Is there an easy way to go about putting up a vid?

JSP

Super Moderator
I wear an Icon Alliance SSR.

And just before anyone else says it, again and again...;)
The chain is very well greased, it is aligned and tensioned correctly. Or at least thats what the dealership is telling me. The mechanic actually told me I did a great job keeping it well oiled/greased.

I really think I should put a video on here maybe it will help or maybe it'll make me look like a fool... either way it can't hurt. Is there an easy way to go about putting up a vid?
Take a video on your camera and host it on Youtube. Then post the link here.

06330i

Trust me I thought the same with mine, I had my dealership properly adjust mine the other day when I got my rear tire installed, mine makes so much noise still! So no worries as long as you maintain the chain properly it will be fine!

motoguy82

Main thing is to watch for any odd or uneven wear. I hear my chain when riding close to concrete barriers too...it's normal. You should notice the exhaust is louder when riding with barriers on the right side of you too!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member