Weight loss

clifford_05

So I'm gonna finally be getting back into a gym soon to start working out a little to try to tone up a little bit and get into shape for this coming bike season. I was curious if anyone on here used any dietary supplement or weight loss pill that has actually helped. There is so many weight loss or supplements on the market and they all say it works better then this or that. So thought I'd ask for some on hand experience. Nothing major but something small just to help start a little weight loss.

Sage

Most of those pills have some bad side effects that aren't stated or they don't know about yet. Just work out, eat healthy and take a multivitamin and you'll lose some weight at a good pace. I started eating healthier a few weeks ago w/o working out and have dropped 5-10 lbs. Don't buy into most of the false promises of diet pills.

JSP

Super Moderator
Yup, no pills... Most are all just caffine. To lose weight, its simple. Calorie deficit/exercise. You have to burn more calories than you take in. If you stick with that, you will have no problems. Just eat right and exercise. :thumbup:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

clifford_05

Thanks everyone, haha. Looks like I know to stay away from that stuff, lol. Just was never sure about all that stuff so wanted to ask.

Detrich

Stay away from pills & supplements. Just more bad stuff.. Simple rule is eat a little less & exercise a little more each day... :)

The lbs will come off, and the best goal is 1 lb per week. Combine resistance training (weights) with light cario. The more muscle exercise u do, the more calories u burn. Cardio alone doesn't help shape your body, but it's good for your heart & metabolism.

Things that ive noticed help a lot:
1. Drink lots of water. 2 full glasses the minute u wake up and at least 5 glasses throughout the day.
2. Eat fruits as snacks in addition to your regular meals. For some strange reason, fruit helps curb junk food craving, stabilizes your blood sugar, and is good for u...
3. Try to avoid eating any heavy foods after 8pm. If u get hungry, snack lightly on healthy cereal and or light protein (an egg, slices of turkey breast). Keeps carb intake low during nighttime..
4. Drink skim milk.
5. Don't binge eat and don't binge diet either. Ppl who lose like 10 lbs in 10 days ALWAYS gain it right back.

:)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Hellgate

The best weight loss "pill" is cutting out all processed food; chips, fast food, frozen food, fried foods, booze. When body builders are cutting for a competition they eat very simple foods, broiled chicken, rice, vegtables, and lots of water. Try it for a month and you'll be pleasently surprised.

Don't forget aerobics too, that is the big fat burner.

Good luck with your program!

bmw675

The best weight loss "pill" is cutting out all processed food; chips, fast food, frozen food, fried foods, booze.
what worked for me was i quit drinking soda. i usually went through a 2 liter of pepsi a day. went from 180 down to 160 in 2 months without doing any exercise or diet. it's amazing what specific food/drinks can do to you.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Hellgate

what worked for me was i quit drinking soda. i usually went through a 2 liter of pepsi a day. went from 180 down to 160 in 2 months without doing any exercise or diet. it's amazing what specific food/drinks can do to you.
Very good point, soda is terrible. Don't get me wrong, I love colas, but they will kill you.

At my son's science fair this week one of the projects was on tooth decay and soda. I suppose the kid's parent is a dentist. They soaked teeth in soda for several weeks and Coke turned teeth black and softened them, Orange soda turned them orange. They were all very ugly and they couldn't clean them back up after the soaking.

Oh, I also drink my coffee black. My wife goes through about 8 oz of sugar every two weeks in her tea and wonders why she can't lose weight.

Hellgate

I'm not cutting booze lol. A serious study recently showed the same amount of booze(one group) to red wine(second group) drank at night before bed, 1 glass, for twelve weeks showed that beer, and light beer, was 20% more effective in lowering the main factor in heart disease. So.. I'll stick with my one beer a night.
I agree a little booze is fine. What is surprising is the amount of calories in mararitas, etc. After a few you've suddenly had 1,500+ calories.

clifford_05

I know when lifting they say you have to intake high amounts of protein but lean protein not kfc, lol. So is taking like the powder whey protein bad too?

motoneta123

By December 2009 i was over 200 lbs. by july 2010 165 then i went back to the gym and got back some weight most of it muscle this time, im @ 175 lbs now. had to donate most of my clothes but feel great!! no pills no pills: just count your carbs eat your veggies and exercise! no pills

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
There's a lot of good points in this thread. Here are some of my offerings, as a "career" amateur athlete:

1. No processed foods. "Pick it off the tree or dig it out of the ground and eat it!"
2. Drink a full glass or two of water before meals and you will avoid overeating.
3. Eat smaller meals at regular intervals throughout the day rather than 3 square meals.
4. Chew slowly! The slower you eat, the less you eat.
5. When doing cardio, do it as a high-intensity interval routine (HIIT). High-intensity interval training - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
6. Pick an exercise or activity you enjoy doing, otherwise you will find that you stray from a consistent and committed regimen.
7. Hide the f*cking scale!! Stepping on the scale daily can be very discouraging. Instead, use the mirror and how your clothing fits as a measure of your progress.

I will be starting my 3rd round of P90X tomorrow. I am going to modify the program for my specific goals this time around. I will be using Steve Edwards guide to gaining mass with P90X.

Good luck!

Detrich

yes. when u initially start a workout program, u actually gain weight. this is normal, because your body is building muscle, which weighs more than fat. so, don't worry about the scale. go by how your clothes fit. :)

I know when lifting they say you have to intake high amounts of protein but lean protein not kfc, lol. So is taking like the powder whey protein bad too?
I say no! It also depends on what kind you are taking! There are some that are just protein, but there are others with Creatine and other crap that you don't even need in it! That is the crap you have to avoid! The following link is full of great information for whatever goal you have! Look around, there is good info there! Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site.

bmw675

I will be starting my 3rd round of P90X tomorrow. I am going to modify the program for my specific goals this time around. I will be using Steve Edwards guide to gaining mass with P90X.

Good luck!
thats awesome. all i was able to do was p8x, gave up early.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited: