Upgrade to 1 litter bike

amirw

Hi there
Don't you feel sometimes that you would like to have more power than our bike can offer? I am not talking on doing mods that add few more HP here and there.
I am talking about upgrade to a litter bike like the FZ1. I think it has ~140 HP so it is double then the FZ6R.
The power is defiantly an issue for me and I feel our bike is bit behind.
What do you think?

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I'm biased. The only solid advice I can offer is, should you get the FZ1, please be 100% sure you can exercise throttle control. It is a VAST difference and is more than double the HP of the FZ6R. A lot more torque as well.

I really love my FZ1 but it took some time to learn to respect her and understand that the bikes limits will not be reached before my own.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

kawieee

I rode a 650 for two years or 30,000 miles before I upgraded to a liter bike. There is a huge difference between 60-70hp and 170+hp of a liter bike. Depending on what you use the bike for, the power can overwhelm you if you're not ready. Plus one thing to remember is that you cannot safely use all the power that a liter bike offers on the streets.

When you plan to upgrade, try to borrow a friend's bike or rent one to see if it's all that you hoped it would be.

Just my 2 cents

Bigevildoer

Hi there
Don't you feel sometimes that you would like to have more power than our bike can offer? I am not talking on doing mods that add few more HP here and there.
I am talking about upgrade to a litter bike like the FZ1. I think it has ~140 HP so it is double then the FZ6R.
The power is defiantly an issue for me and I feel our bike is bit behind.
What do you think?
I started another thread yesterday commenting on how I bought a Buell 1125R... I'm going to store it for a full summer before riding it, just so I can get more experience on the FZ6R. The Buell's got a 2 year warranty, so I'll still have a full year of riding before it expires.

There was a quote a person used a few months back that I think is very appropriate - went something like this:

"If you can honestly say that the bike is slowing you down and you're in full control ALL the time, then you can upgrade - otherwise you're just feeding your ego."

Later!

fz6rwolf

Not to a liter sportbike. In the future when I plan on having more time to take longer trips then I'm thinking something like a Triumph Tiger. For the riding I do now which is mostly recreational day trips the Fz6r has plenty. I've been to 120mph once and throttled down, no need to go faster and no need to do it again. A bigger bike would be good if all interstate but really for city traffic and 2 laners a liter bike would be a waste of HP, unless you just really need to say you have a big bad powerful bike. Me, could care less about others, I know the 600 is all I need at the moment and if a liter bike comes up on me acting all stupid I pull over and let him by and hope I don't come up on him seeing tracks going off the road into the woods.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
There was a quote a person used a few months back that I think is very appropriate - went something like this:

"If you can honestly say that the bike is slowing you down and you're in full control ALL the time, then you can upgrade - otherwise you're just feeding your ego."
I'm going to disagree with this person (Not Bigevildoer, the one whom he is quoting. ;) ). Often times an upgrade isn't only due to speed and power. I'll use myself as an example. I was on the FZ6 and after visiting the dragon on stock tires and suspension, I found I was able to drive the bike harder into the corners than the equipment allowed. So, I weighed the costs of the R6 fork upgrade, Ohlin's rear shock, and better tires. I found that the cost and efforts got me close to the FZ1 which already has fully adjustable suspension and better tires.

After upgrading, I found that the FZ1 was everything that the FZ6 was with a better quality everything! The ergos are about the same, the front and rear suspension are fully adjustable, the 190 rear and aggressive rake of the bike makes it fall into the corners. The fact that I got an extra 38 HP from the upgrade was quite an added bonus, but it wasn't THE reason I upgraded as the reasons were many (First being I was too lazy to go get all the FZ6 stuff and do the work!) :thumbup:

If someone is upgrading SOLELY for speed because they are WOT all the time, they are planning an early grave as well.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Plus there are plenty of aftermarket accessories since it's a tried and true bike! But, if the FZ6R stays around long enough, there that line will diminish as well.

But, as fz6rwolf said, for me it would be for a bigger, more comfortable bike for wife and me (fjr, or that new Honda) where the power would be for our weight plus weekend gear. As it stands, I think we will be pretty much limited to day trips together. With my cortech set, I could take a weekend trip, where I could fit food and 1 or two changes of clothes, but with two of us, It would be hard.
Very true for the first sentence! There's already a great following of parts coming, especially since aftermarket folks KNOW it now replaced the FZ6 and is selling faster.

You bring up another great point... the added benefit of loading the HECK out of the liter bike and heading for the hills. The bike doesn't even grunt on the inclines and the larger brakes make stopping, even while loaded up, VERY easy. The FZ1 and FJR both have a higher capacity alternator as well so more touring options (gadgets and heated gear) can be run from the bike without the danger of running the battery out at the first stop light. :D

I'm not knocking the FZ6R in any way. It is a GREAT bike and has it's place. It's just that it isn't meant for some tasks. It's a great carver, city bike and sport rider. It's not a great bike for two-up, heavy touring or aggressive track riding without a lot of modifications. It is at that point one must decide if they want to mod the bike, or upgrade to a bike that better suits the needs of the rider. :cool:

Well, I'm pretty much tired of the lack of power on the FZ6R! It was good to learn on, but I definately want something else! I've decided to just stop with all the mods for this bike! There is no point in trying to make it any better than what it is! I feel like it is the same as trying to build up a V6 muscle car.......pointless! I'm just going to save my money and buy the R1! Still love the bike though! Just ready to give it to my wife!

amirw

Basically I am against power mods for two reasons.

1. Safety. You take a 65-68 HP bike which was designed for this power level and then modified it to a 75-80 HP. Is that safe, Who can guaranty that this bike would not break after two or three years? I don't know what "worse",upgrade to a more powerful bike that was designed by professional engineers, or riding a modified bike that was modified based on an " internet do it your self" guides.
2. Money
These mods cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. Instead of spending that over the years, save your money for a year or two and then buy a bigger bike which would probably be safer then any FZ6R that you have modified by yourself.

Funkmaxtor

I have to disagree with anyone that complains about the lack of power on the 6R. I just got back from a ride where I was the only 600cc bike and I had no problems keeping up. One of the guys who was riding a ZX-14R made a comment about how I was cornering way faster than him and a few others of the guys. Another guy riding an R1 made a comment about how the 6R was flying for what it was. So I gotta say I will probably go up to an R1 in a few years but I would never say that 6R is a slow bike or lacks power. For a 600 this is a great bike!

Buy a bike (whatever size) for what kind of riding and what is comfortable for you!

Roaddawg

I have to disagree with anyone that complains about the lack of power on the 6R. I just got back from a ride where I was the only 600cc bike and I had no problems keeping up. One of the guys who was riding a ZX-14R made a comment about how I was cornering way faster than him and a few others of the guys. Another guy riding an R1 made a comment about how the 6R was flying for what it was. So I gotta say I will probably go up to an R1 in a few years but I would never say that 6R is a slow bike or lacks power. For a 600 this is a great bike!

Buy a bike (whatever size) for what kind of riding and what is comfortable for you!
I agree with you too! I just went for a nice stress releaser ride up in the twisty mountain back-roads of the Napa Valley and felt the bike was perfect. Not once did I feel like I needed some more power. I kept a nice quick pace up and down the hills. Or course I'm not dragging my knees, but I wouldn't be even if I have an R1 or whatever. In a couple years though, I would like to go up to an FJR or another sport touring model. But, it would be for the touring, two-up riding, and wind protection aspect, not so much for the power.

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Bigevildoer

I'm going to disagree with this person (Not Bigevildoer, the one whom he is quoting. ;) ). Often times an upgrade isn't only due to speed and power. I'll use myself as an example. I was on the FZ6 and after visiting the dragon on stock tires and suspension, I found I was able to drive the bike harder into the corners than the equipment allowed. So, I weighed the costs of the R6 fork upgrade, Ohlin's rear shock, and better tires. I found that the cost and efforts got me close to the FZ1 which already has fully adjustable suspension and better tires.
There you have it - you proved that quote, even though you're disagreeing with it at the same time!

You felt like you were slowed down by the bike and it's equipment - therefore you're going to upgrade! You're not upgrading just 'cause you want a bigger shinier bike. :)

later!

btastarsky

The only time our bike falls behind the bigger bikes is on the straights. That's when the higher hp and wider gear ratios run away from us. In the twisties, we are as fast if not a bit faster than the liter bikes. I know i've said this on a couple of other threads, but I ride with 3 guys on liter bikes. The only time they get away is when there is a long straight after a corner. If there are consistent corners or s bends, I outrun them cuz they have to slow down more and find a more suitable gear or they risk running right off the road. If anyone is finding that they're limits are higher than the bikes, put on a stickier set of tires and try again. Our tires (and bikes, to a point) are meant for sport touring. When you increase the traction, you'll find you can lean even closer to horizontal. For even more performance, try to shed weight off the bike (this may mean losing human weight too). If you can get lighter rotors (they make them for the r6), that will make a huge difference. I personally am gonna try to squeeze more performance out of this bike before i upgrade to a bigger one. That being said, my next bike is probably gonna be the r1 so that I too can blast out of the corners at light speed.

Ride safe everyone.

fstrthan_uthink

I actually dragged my foot the other day, couldn't believe it. An off ramp I usually take at around 30-40, I hit at 50, about halfway through, I felt my right foot hit pavement. Scared the crap out of me, cause I thought the foot pegs would hit first, then I realized I was riding in my comfy position with my feet split across the pegs (instead of my toes on the pegs). Quickly pulled my feet in and didn't have an issue.
Yeah, we can push this bike hard and have fun.
:thumbup: I thought I was the only one. I don't (and don't know how to) kneedrag but I've done the same as you. Scared me too the first time I did it lol. Now whenever I take a quick or banked turn I get my leading toe on the peg and shift my weight to that side just a bit allowing my knee to stick out some. No more toe scraping issues and I get a good feel for the balance of the bike and how much I can push it in a corner. I think the best part though is that we can ride in the "comfy" position and not hang off any or tap dance on the pegs and still go quick. That really shows how smooth our bikes are.

llervero

I can out run all my friends on my ninja 250 anyday while on the tail of the dragon or any curvy roads. On the interstate is another story. Then I ride my FZ6R. I wish I had all kinds of bikes. If I only had the money?!!!!!!! Buy the bike that fit your needs, not others and if means a bigger bike then go for it. But do not buy a bike for the wrong reasons (friends, egos need for speed)