Unethical or opportunistic?

kvc25

So I just got my bike back from the dealership (it was in for the 600 mile service) and the bill came to $254.44. I had a $50 off $250 or more service coupon, but the cashier mistook it for a 50% off coupon. Paid $127.22 total. Was I wrong to not point out the blunder? I feel a little guilty now...

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Spunky99

You paid a lot more for the service than it was worth with 127.22
I'd let that issue pass through me like water through a screen.
The fluids were paid for and so was the labor. They just didn't make as much profit due to their error.

Plus, did you stop to think the cashier was hitting on you and gave you a deal. Going back might cost her job.....let it slide.
Was she hot?

Last edited:

AFDavis11

You paid the amount you were charged. I don't see it as unethical. It's not your job to inform the manager of how important employee training is nor teach someone how to read a coupon.

If it were me I'd be snatching another coupon and buying an FJR.

DragonBlu

You paid the amount you were charged. I don't see it as unethical. It's not your job to inform the manager of how important employee training is nor teach someone how to read a coupon.

If it were me I'd be snatching another coupon and buying an FJR.
I agree,not your job to watch them. sometimes I tell them,most times I don't.They will get you next time anyway.

CrazyCawi

theyre is usually a 200% markup....sooooo you just evened the playing field and chopped their huge 200% profit down to 100% IMO ;)

bmw675

Plus, did you stop to think the cashier was hitting on you and gave you a deal. Going back might cost her job.....let it slide.
Was she hot?
:Im With Stupid:

JSP

Super Moderator
Even with the 50% off, its still highway robbery! $127 to do an oil change that would cost you barely $20 to do yourself. Get to know your bike and start doing your oil and stuff yourself. Will save you a TON of cash.

Deanohh

If you had made the mistake in their favor, would you want them to tell you?

A lawyer had made a will for the old man and said the fee would be $100. The old man reached into his wallet, pulled out a $100 bill and paid him. The lawyer then noticed that the payment was actually two $100 bills stuck together and immediatly realized that he would have to make a very tough decision: Should he tell his partner?

CrazyCawi

A lawyer had made a will for the old man and said the fee would be $100. The old man reached into his wallet, pulled out a $100 bill and paid him. The lawyer then noticed that the payment was actually two $100 bills stuck together and immediatly realized that he would have to make a very tough decision: Should he tell his partner?
tricky stuff

bmw675

buy the guy a gift, or a couple rounds at the bar, to even things out and to look like an all around nice guy. :thumbup:

:justkidding:

See red

Wow.........................................

I guess I am one of the few people who don't see the grey zones.

Right is right. Period.
Wrong is wrong.

If it is "ok" because you feel" they are ripping you off" all you do is pass the same mentallity around. Don't go there if you don't like the cost.

What is your time worth? I would have politely told her the truth. If they choose to GIVE you the leeway because of the said mistake, then that is on them. But, be truthful, if you did the work, you want to get paid.

kvc25

You paid a lot more for the service than it was worth with 127.22
I'd let that issue pass through me like water through a screen.
The fluids were paid for and so was the labor. They just didn't make as much profit due to their error.

Was she hot?
"She" was a he :-/

And thanks for all the opinions guys. I ended up giving them a call earlier to inform them of the mistake and I offered to come in tomorrow to pay the difference, but the guy told me not to worry about it (which was pretty nice). I'll just buy some of their overpriced gear to even things out. I don't want to test karma, especially on a motorcycle.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

See red

screw em, im a mechanic and see how badly people get raped everyday. any dealership can afford that cost once in a while
People don't get raped, they have the same options we all have. That is called a choice.

A clear conciouse is a good thing. I do the best I can to stay on the side of right, even when people think it isn't. such as this.

CrazyCawi

People don't get raped, they have the same options we all have. That is called a choice.

A clear conciouse is a good thing. I do the best I can to stay on the side of right, even when people think it isn't. such as this.
If you found a $100 as you walk through a parking lot at the store....would you walk in and ind the manager and tell them you found it and hand it over to them to put in the lost in found aka their pocket...or do you keep it?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I'd point it out...

what if it were the other way... you had a %50 off and they only gave you $50... would you point it out? yep, guess I'm old school, and glad to hear you went back to them to let them know.
I agreeeee :iconbeer: