Two Bros exhaust and emissions

staindlegend

Ok, so I'm a little curious about the Two Bros racing exhaust. Before I begin I would like to state that I've already installed it on my '09 FZ6R and love it, these are simply questions I'm curious about. First off, I live in Montana where there is yet to be emission regulations, on motorcycles at least. Does anyone know with certainty what states do have strict emission regulations on motorcycles, i.e. they must be tested before registration? My second question is, has anyone with the Two Bros exhaust tested the emissions? I'm curious to see how bad it really is compared to the stock exhaust (which sucks). I know this isn't by any means an accurate representation of emissions, but after about 500 miles put on that exhaust, I ran my finger along the inside of the pipe and it was totally clean. Unfortunately no one in my area has emission testing equipment that I know of, so I was hoping someone from a more regulated state might have had my same curiosity and tested it.

DragonBlu

Might look cleaner in the pipes because it's running leaner with the more free flowing exhaust? Not necessarily testing cleaner with the cat gone. That doesn't answer your question, but just my 2 cents. Ride safe,have fun! :)

staindlegend

Yeah I highly doubt it's running within emission standards with the Two Bros exhaust but one can hope... lol. I just don't want to have to put that stock exhaust back on if I move. I could of course do it for registration purposes then change it back, but would it be worth the $150+ fine if I get caught...?

DragonBlu

California is one,if not THE strictest on emission testing and I don't think they require motorcycle testing yet. Oregon and Washington do not. It will be interesting to find out if any states require it.

Reactions: JSP

JSP

Super Moderator
You no longer have a catalytic converter... you will for sure fail if emission tested :thumbup:

mfischler

Elite Member

staindlegend

You no longer have a catalytic converter... you will for sure fail if emission tested :thumbup:
Thank you for pointing out the obvious. My question is not in regards to whether it will pass emission testing, but how much worse it actually is. I suppose a small part of me had hoped that maybe it would, but not enough to delude me into thinking it would. I guess what I'm getting at is if the bike has very low emissions without the cat, then why can't the government just leave us bikes alone. I mean, putting a big hunking black can on the bottom of my bike is not only ugly but heavy and doesn't sound near as good. Just my opinion. lol

JSP

Super Moderator
Thank you for pointing out the obvious. My question is not in regards to whether it will pass emission testing, but how much worse it actually is. I suppose a small part of me had hoped that maybe it would, but not enough to delude me into thinking it would. I guess what I'm getting at is if the bike has very low emissions without the cat, then why can't the government just leave us bikes alone. I mean, putting a big hunking black can on the bottom of my bike is not only ugly but heavy and doesn't sound near as good. Just my opinion. lol
That kinda was your question bud. Basically if it would pass if you went to a state that had emissions... Why worry about how much worse when it plain wont pass?

First, I dont believe any states have MC emissions testing. Even California shot down the idea a couple years ago after thousands of people fought them. Doesnt mean to say its not going to happen because it WILL. Thats the direction we are moving towards. No way around that.

Here is some Federal Regulation for ya ;)

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

SO... either way you would most likely fail if they decided to do actual testing. Who knows how strict they would be on the actual testing, but I can guarantee with no CAT you will not pass.

Y

yellowfz

Just to throw this out , automobiles will pass without CATs here , they just do a computer check SRT (System Readiness Test , see if any DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) or pending DTC , O2s , Evap Canister , etc.. ) you can have one "not ready" and still pass , while they do not do sniffer test anymore I have seen CAT-less even pass that .
As long as you are around stoichiometric (14.7) you are good for the Environment .

staindlegend

I suppose I should apologize for making it seem as if I was asking whether or not it would pass. This was not my question. My question was had anyone actually emission tested this bike with the Two Bros exhaust, and how much worse was it then the stock exhaust? I had a glimmer of hope that the answer might show that it does pass emission testing, but I doubted it would. Again, my question had much more to do with the actual difference between stock and the Two Bros exhaust. I thank you, yellowfz, for keeping that glimmer of hope alive though. However, I'm still sure it won't lol.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

staindlegend

Speaking of California and motorcycles.. This law was passed a few months ago.
I understand the reasoning behind limiting the noise level of motorcycles, however I hope they don't take it too far. Of course most riders enjoy having louder, better sounding exhausts, but a motorcycle should be louder than you're average car for safety purposes. With all the distractions that affect every day car drivers, I want my roaring exhaust to grab their attention.

Chucker

Just be sure to hold on to your stock exhaust, just in case. Generally, when they pass new laws, they apply to new products going forward, and not to older existing ones.