Tire Wear

Adroit

I've got ~9k miles on the stock tires now, and beginning to think about getting some new ones. I use my bike almost exclusively for commuting ~60 miles a day 95% freeway (rarely take it out to the twisties :(), so obviously the center is wearing down quite a bit more than the sides. The rear tire seems more worn than the front, you can see the flat spot down the center and a few of the tire wear indicators are just beginning to become flush with the tread. The front tire has more tread left, but is seeing some minor cupping (the center is actually protruding out a bit) and you can see that the tread pattern is getting slightly warped (dunno what the term for that is).

So my questions are really if the tires are in dire need of replacement or what criteria I should use to know I need to replace them asap. I've heard of some people being able to get twice the life out of the front tire as the rear tire, and was wondering if I could save a few bucks doing the same thing (or if I should just replace them as a pair). I got this bike primarily to save time + money, so I was hoping I could get as much life out of these tires as possible before throwing on some new ones ;)

rear -
http://i50.tinypic.com/2evyy3a.jpg

front -
http://i46.tinypic.com/29pcbw2.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Adroit

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
I would replace soon. Also do both at the same time. Even though the front is not as wore down, it has still gone through the same amount of heat cycles. Should be replaced as a pair IMO. Get a good sport touring tire like the Pilot Roads or Angle ST, etc. Make sure you check your PSI as well for proper life.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Replace them together, especially since the front is cupping. Like Jay said, they've both seen the same number of heat cycles.

If you are looking for great tires at a low price, check out the Shinko Raven 009. I'm on my second set and love them! Good grip and pretty awesome lifespan.

Last edited:

Rookasaki

There's still a little life left in them, but I would change both out soon! Definitely get a touring tire if most of your riding is freeway!

RooKie

Replace them together, especially since the front is cupping. Like Jay said, they've both seen the same number of heat cycles.

If you are looking for great tires at a low price, check out the Shinko Raven 009. I'm on my second set and love them! Good grip and pretty awesome lifespan.
+1 on the Shinko Raven 009's. I have a set now and they're great. Great performance at the lowest price.

Roaddawg

+1 on the Shinko Raven 009's. I have a set now and they're great. Great performance at the lowest price.
+2 on these as well. I use to commute 100+ miles r/t and these tires wear great. Plus, they are good in the twisties and wet roads too. You can get a set for under $200 delivered.

Chevyfazer

+1000 on the shinko 009 ravens I'm on my 2nd set I got over 12.000 miles out of my first rear and was on 16,000 on my front before I got a screw in it. And the rear had about 6 burnouts at the dragstrip and a couple just for fun!!! They still have plenty of traction with all that tread life too, I still haven't been passed on blood mountian and have put numerous super sport bikes to shame on "el cheepo" tires.
As for replacing both at the same time if the front wasn't cupping and you wanted to stay with the same tire you could just replace the rear with no problems or visa versa

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Rookasaki

+1000 on the shinko 009 ravens I'm on my 2nd set I got over 12.000 miles out of my first rear and was on 16,000 on my front before I got a screw in it. And the rear had about 6 burnouts at the dragstrip and a couple just for fun!!! They still have plenty of traction with all that tread life too, I still haven't been passed on blood mountian and have put numerous super sport bikes to shame on "el cheepo" tires.
As for replacing both at the same time if the front wasn't cupping and you wanted to stay with the same tire you could just replace the rear with no problems or visa versa
12k miles :eek:

Dang, touring tires last way way longer! I'm hoping to get at least 4k out of my Power pures. :D

Roaddawg

Dang, touring tires last way way longer! I'm hoping to get at least 4k out of my Power pures. :D
He said he's "commuting" not "eluding"....different riding style then you! :D

I actually got 17,425 on my stock Bridgestone BT021's (mostly commute miles)! I put Shinko Raven 009's (sport touring duel compounds) and got 8,100 on the rear before a nail got it (tread was fine...a little flat spot in the middle) and 12,100 on the front tire before I decided to change it. I bought that first set of Shinko's for $151 for the set, delivered! I just bought the new front for about $80 and $30 to install on my rim at Cyclegear.

Rookasaki

He said he's "commuting" not "eluding"....different riding style then you! :D

I actually got 17,425 on my stock Bridgestone BT021's (mostly commute miles)! I put Shinko Raven 009's (sport touring duel compounds) and got 8,100 on the rear before a nail got it (tread was fine...a little flat spot in the middle) and 12,100 on the front tire before I decided to change it. I bought that first set of Shinko's for $151 for the set, delivered! I just bought the new front for about $80 and $30 to install on my rim at Cyclegear.
:D come at me Bro!

Chevyfazer

Yeah thats about what I got out of my pirelli's and said F'This since I ride every day. I decided to give the shinkos a try and have fallen in love! Especially with the miles I do, I got my fz6 June 10th last year with 10,xxx on it and I just rolled over to 28,000 last week!!!

Dirtyboy333

This CANT be normal!!!

Hey guys, new to the forum but have been reading for a while.

Have 2,300 miles on my new (ish) FZ6r and my back tire is beat. I have never peeled out/burnt tire, never a "track day" and rarely ever skid the rear tire. I do go through the gears a lil hard but nothing dramatic. I've never even redlined the bike yet. 90% of the miles are my 20 mile (one-way) commute to work and back. I do drive pretty fast which I'm getting over and starting to slow down. Due to the HUGE shale natural gas boom in my area SW PA, the trucks are tearing the roads up and there all patched up. With that said, my commute really isn't that rough and I usually avoid any patches. Also, my front tire is great so I don't think it's the roads.

Anyway, here's some pics of my Dunlop roadsmarts. Let me know if this is at all common or do I have something seriously wrong with my bike?

@1,700 miles:

FRONT:

@2,300 miles:

Also, are the roads smarts considered racing tires or touring or what?

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Dirtyboy that rear is SHOT!
Holy Fark that is the belt showing through, I am surprised you have kept the bike upright.
Replace that tyre before you even commute or it may cost your life OMG!

Sorry but that is scary how worn that tyre is.

Roadsmarts are sport tourers, Sportsmart are sportier road tyres.
I had Roadsmart II's on last I got an easy 12k km's out of the rear & +14k km's on the front

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

FastFreddy

Officer : "Why is your rear tyre on fire ?"
Rider : Extinguishes flames with gloved hand. "Must be the torn up road, I've been commuting in the slow traffic. There must be something wrong with that batch of tyres"

FastFreddy

Fast takeoffs can chew the rear tyre.

Road Smarts are supposed to be touring tyres, but the seem more like a sporty tyre that works in the wet as well to me.

Dirtyboy333

Fast takeoffs can chew the rear tyre.

Road Smarts are supposed to be touring tyres, but the seem more like a sporty tyre that works in the wet as well to me.
Hahaha. I agree. I drive in the rain all the time and was surprised at how well they were gripping.

SixRfixR: I'm gonna check my psi in about an hour.

Burt-Aus: you are correct. I'm a newly wed and don't wanna leave her widowed already. Decided that the only place I'm taking this bike is to the shop and very slowly.

Last edited: