Thinking about getting another bike

jocampo

Has been almost three months since my accident and feels like years. I miss riding a lot! :(

I know i'm lucky to be alive but my wife and I have had few discussions because she doesn't want me to ride again.

I think I'll wait until Nov. or Oct and I'll get a bike. Does anyone know if Yamaha is changing the fz6r for next year?

Not sure if getting a Street Triple again. Knowing now that any collision can make the bike pure junk, I may buy an fz6r again? Cheaper to repair.

Something is for sure, it will be white, regardless of the brand.

Am I being too selfish?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

CrazyCawi

No....I think the ones saying no more riding are being selfish of your passion. You live life once. If you live life in fear, your not living.

Fizzer6R

go for it, long as your head it right and the wife won't leave you for having to worry...

hmm, white, R1, FZ1, CBR, Duc - tons of possibles. but yeah, maybe a FZ6R is a good idea to get you back on your feet (wheels) for a season and if comfy then move back up...

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

jocampo

Yeah...

I took the MSF course but I may take it again and refresh concepts.

Mine was not my fault, but its good to get rid of bad habits or validate your skills again.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

wtnotch

A couple of things ... gross generalizations I know, but still LOL ...

1st, there's never going to be a shortage of people telling you that it's too dangerous to ride. Most of the time they mean well, but they're also mostly either the kind of people that are generally afraid of doing 'anything' or their idea of risk is a hike on a muddy trail. In my experience, the chances of changing their opinions is usually zip, zero, no way jose.

2nd, there are people that are really concerned about your and are worried for your safety. They can usually be convinced of the positive aspects of riding and learn to live with without undue worry. This kind of sounds like your wife, since she didn't have a problem with you riding before.

3rd, beyond MSF there are lots of really good schools like the Keith Code's or Lee Parks'. They teach you the mechanics of riding.

4th, the absolute most important thing is your attitude. Situational awareness is key. There is literally NO time that you can't be paying attention and at NO time should you ever be overriding your sight lines, especially on the street. 'The Pace' by Nick Ienatsch has a bunch of really good information regarding how to survive on the street.

What I've found is that when your attitude is good and your skills are backed by solid instruction, you can usually 'convince' people like your wife that you have the ability and mind set to be somewhat safe out there. It may take a little while, but be patient. Hell, it took me 40 years to finally convince my parents that I wasn't going to die every time I got on a bike, but they finally came around. It didn't stop me from riding, but that's another story:)

A little introspection is also good. Why do you ride? Does your wife know why? Is there anything you can do to help her understand?

I'm sure it'll all come out fine, and taking some time off is a good start.

In any case, good luck! You'll work it out, I'm sure.

Russ

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

z21-i

A couple of things ... gross generalizations I know, but still LOL ...

1st, there's never going to be a shortage of people telling you that it's too dangerous to ride. Most of the time they mean well, but they're also mostly either the kind of people that are generally afraid of doing 'anything' or their idea of risk is a hike on a muddy trail. In my experience, the chances of changing their opinions is usually zip, zero, no way jose.

2nd, there are people that are really concerned about your and are worried for your safety. They can usually be convinced of the positive aspects of riding and learn to live with without undue worry. This kind of sounds like your wife, since she didn't have a problem with you riding before.

3rd, beyond MSF there are lots of really good schools like the Keith Code's or Lee Parks'. They teach you the mechanics of riding.

4th, the absolute most important thing is your attitude. Situational awareness is key. There is literally NO time that you can't be paying attention and at NO time should you ever be overriding your sight lines, especially on the street. 'The Pace' by Nick Ienatsch has a bunch of really good information regarding how to survive on the street.

What I've found is that when your attitude is good and your skills are backed by solid instruction, you can usually 'convince' people like your wife that you have the ability and mind set to be somewhat safe out there. It may take a little while, but be patient. Hell, it took me 40 years to finally convince my parents that I wasn't going to die every time I got on a bike, but they finally came around. It didn't stop me from riding, but that's another story:)

A little introspection is also good. Why do you ride? Does your wife know why? Is there anything you can do to help her understand?

I'm sure it'll all come out fine, and taking some time off is a good start.

In any case, good luck! You'll work it out, I'm sure.

Russ

Lots of truth to this especially 1 and 2. My wife was not a happy camper when I brought home a street bike. The tension lasted several weeks, she got over it. I can now occasionally get her to ride with me to go out to dinner a couple times a month.

i constantly have family and friends telling me "be careful" , they mean well.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

jocampo

Well, progress ...

She asked me last night if I was going to commute or only for weekends. That's a good sign. ;-)

I finish paying the Speed6 soon, so I may get one by end of the year.

Nyuu

My wife actually pushed me into motorcycling... thought doing 35 on a scooter was more dangerous. She is afraid of riding herself but loves to be on the back. Out of all the people in the world I thought she would be most opposed. People can surprise you.
Haha, same situation. I liked seeing motorcycle on the road, but never really saw myself on one. She had me sit on one just for the hell of it at a dealership, and instantly I wanted one. Bought the FZ6R, riding the hell out of it, will never sell it :) Gotta love the wives for knowing what we want even when we don't... at least sometimes.

@Thread: Get a bike, explain to your wife why you love riding, and eventually she'll recognize it. Basically what everyone else has said.

jocampo

My wife really didn't get the attraction I had to motorcycles until she started riding herself. After her first solo trip on the highway she told me, "So that's why you love it so much!"
Off topic, but how's your Street Triple, sniff, sniff ... Hahahaha ...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII via Tapatalk.