Review: From FZ6R to Street Triple R

RooKie

This one’s is for you, buzzbomb.

I’ve recently made the switch from my trustee 2010 FZ6R to the sexy 2014 Street Triple. The 6R was my first motorcycle, and had been the only bike I’d ever ridden (aside from the MSF course bikes) up until getting my new ride. With that being said, my review may be obvious stuff to some peeps, but it’s all things that made a big difference to me when making the switch. Let’s begin…

1 - The Gears:
Shifting in and out of 1st on the STR does not make the loud “clunk” sound that the 6R makes.

On the 6R going anything faster than 20mph on 1st makes the engine sound like it’s about to explode. 1st on the STR is long, so I can ride around the neighborhood or get up to speed on 45mph roads without shifting up or making the engine blow up.

Taller 1st gear on the STR also means that I can rev-match down to 1st without the huge difference in engine braking force that happens from 2nd to 1st on the 6R.

The gear shifting overall is very smooth. I don’t have to put much pressure on the shifting lever to switch gears.

2 - Engine:

The STR engine is very touchy / refined. First thing I noticed when riding out of the dealership was that going over bumps took some getting used to, because any small increment on the throttle would cause the bike to charge forward with a significant amount of force. After a couple of days riding it and re-learning to grip with my legs this issue went away and it is now one of my favorite things about the bike.

The delivery of power is also very smooth. between 3k and 8k the bike will pick up speed quickly and steadily. From 8k to 13k, the bike’s beastly power is unleashed. This makes entering the freeway and absolute thrill.

3 - Weight:

Super light. I’m a man of short stature (5’7”) and would sometimes have trouble backing up since the 6R felt so heavy. The STR has not given me longer legs to get a better footing, but it is so light, that as soon as I get the bike rolling back, it feels almost like it keeps moving on it’s own. I don’t have to fight the bike as much to get it to move with my own body.

The lower weight of the bike combined with the lower center of gravity make the bike “dive” into corners. First couple of turns I had to re-adjust mid-turn because it would make such tight turns with very minimal effort. Turning feels almost as if there was nothing under you. It’s the closest thing to flying I’ve ever felt.

4 - Brakes:

I was used to engine braking and dragging the brakes to slowly come to a stop with the 6R. Doing the same thing on the STR took some practice due to the ABS and steel brake lines. The STR’s stopping power can be a bit intimidating at first, but you get used to it quickly.

5 - Ergos:

Very similar to the 6R. The STR has a slightly more aggressive riding position, but nothing uncomfortable. I’ve been riding my a$$ off to get through the break-in period, and the only thing that keeps me from riding it all day is the 100 degree temps in AZ. Heat exhaustion works wonders on depth perception. :p

6 - Overall:

I miss my 6R. The 6R is like my first love and it will not be forgotten. But when I’m on the STR I forget that I ever loved anything else. The STR is the good girl you want to bring home to mom and dad, but she can also be a freak when you’re feeling feisty.

Please let me know your thoughts or questions. Thanks.

ksanbon

Congrats for the new ride and thanks for the comprehensive review. I really like the STrip but can't live w/o a fairing.

latony007

Congrats, its a great bike. my nephew has one and i ride it all the time. Although i think its an overall slightly better bike (i think about $1500 more) i did not love the handling as much as you. The 6R seems to be more flickable to me but it could have been the tires he had on too. Being naked its also a lot of wind and looks like a bug from the front but i like to ride it a lot and I love the sound of that triple. Sounds like a jet when you hit it. be safe.

crs5011

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to do the same as you. 6R was the first, and hope to move to a street/speed triple or monster in the coming years.

I"m also in a similar boat as I'm only 5'6". I know you can get the specs for the stand over, but what's your take on the seat height compared to the 6R? I could manage the 6R but ended up putting in a lowering link since its my first bike and I wanted to make sure I could be stable with both feet.

latony007

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to do the same as you. 6R was the first, and hope to move to a street/speed triple or monster in the coming years.

I"m also in a similar boat as I'm only 5'6". I know you can get the specs for the stand over, but what's your take on the seat height compared to the 6R? I could manage the 6R but ended up putting in a lowering link since its my first bike and I wanted to make sure I could be stable with both feet.
its pretty close the same as stock 6R. i though about putting a link on my 6R too but would up getting used to it. Really the only issue i have is backing up with an incline so i just am fairly picky about where i park :)

you know what the most comfy bike i have sat on for short people is the Ducatti Diavel but they are like 22k

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Great review, thanks
A riding buddy of mine recently got himself a Street Triple & loves it too.
Infact he mentioned (jokingly) that he needed to re-learn stoppies -something he hasn't tried for 20years! (he is in his 50's).

Enjoy your new ponies!
& dont forget to rehydrate, as I am sure you wont be happy if your new ride gets a graize due to your dehydration

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

latony007

The one thing I absolutely love on the Triumphs streetbikes, the brakes are AMAZING.
agreed i noticed that too, in fact i looked at them and am like, well they look pretty much the same as mine lol
also love the gear indicator and i think it has hazards but i can't remember for sure?

RooKie

Hey crs5011,

Seat height is a good point that I forgot to cover.

The spec for the FZ6R seat height is 30.9" and the STR is 32.8".

Just like you, I considered getting a lowering link as soon as I got the bike because I feared dropping it while backing it up or at an abrupt stop; but as time went by I became more comfortable with the bike and it didn't bother me anymore. Just as a warning, if you're as uncoordinated as I am, you may want to get frame sliders. I sure wish I had them the couple of times I dropped it on the driveway... :facepalm:

After about a year of riding, I started thinking that someday I'd like to buy a SS bike, but after looking at the seat height specs online I realized that most had at least seat heights of roughly 32". I was discouraged at first, but then decided to raise my seat height to 31.9" to get used to working with the taller seat. In addition I set the suspension to the stiffest setting to keep the seat as high as possible at all times.

Fast-forward to today... now I'm riding the STR with a seat height roughly 2" taller than what I had originally started with on the 6R and I didn't even notice much diff in that regard when making the switch.

I'm still not flat-footing at stop lights, but I've gained the confidence over the years to not let that affect how I handle my ride.

Hope this helps you out. Ride safely!

RooKie

also love the gear indicator and i think it has hazards but i can't remember for sure?
You're right. The 6R has 3 key settings for the ignition: ON, OFF, LOCK. STR has an additional one for PARK. That setting is the equivalent of having hazards on and it is required in Europe to park your motorcycle on the side of the road.

Malicioso

Thanks for the review!

The STR is truly a nice bike I'd consider it for when I upgrade, but I do most of my riding on the freeway so the fairings definitely help. I'm also about 170cm (5/6 or so), and I find the 6R perfect, I manage to get both feet flat on the ground and that's part of the reason why I purchased it.

Interesting to read about the gear changes on the 6R, I thought I was the only one who had this happen to as it was one of the first things I noticed when I got the bike.

Anyway enjoy the new ride and be safe out there!

Malicioso

You're right. The 6R has 3 key settings for the ignition: ON, OFF, LOCK. STR has an additional one for PARK. That setting is the equivalent of having hazards on and it is required in Europe to park your motorcycle on the side of the road.
Interesting.....

We have that here in Aus, on my 6R if you go from the lock position and turn it back one click, the little power crystal, tail light and license plate light all stay on.

latony007

Interesting.....

We have that here in Aus, on my 6R if you go from the lock position and turn it back one click, the little power crystal, tail light and license plate light all stay on.
what about while your rolling?? my suzukis and of course every car, just has a button to push to start flashing all lights to let everyone behind you know your having an issue.
we have no hazards and no power crystal. I can't even believe its legal to have a bike here in CA without hazards we have regs for every other damn thing. I hope i never have an issue on the freeway is all i can say. I saw one site where you could buy this relay thing for like $120 and give yourself timed turn signals and a hazard light but i lost it. think they may have went out of business.

Malicioso

what about while your rolling?? my suzukis and of course every car, just has a button to push to start flashing all lights to let everyone behind you know your having an issue.
we have no hazards and no power crystal. I can't even believe its legal to have a bike here in CA without hazards we have regs for every other damn thing. I hope i never have an issue on the freeway is all i can say. I saw one site where you could buy this relay thing for like $120 and give yourself timed turn signals and a hazard light but i lost it. think they may have went out of business.
Yeah we have hazard lights too! We have a hazard light switch just above the indicator switch, all vehicles must have it here in Aus. Re: the power crystal ignition switch position is only for when you park the bike it also keeps the handlebar in the locked position, the light also comes on when you place the key into Start position and stays on together with the main headlight while the bike is running.

Asako

I wired in a switch and a flasher module on my bike. Pretty simple mod but I still think every vehicle sold should have them stock.

latony007

I wired in a switch and a flasher module on my bike. Pretty simple mod but I still think every vehicle sold should have them stock.
Hmm, how simple? id really like to have hazards but i suck at working on bikes. Oil change and change the signals is about all i could handle lol

High Park

Question for RooKie on this review (or any other generous Street Triple riders). I have been idly looking at the Street Triple for years. Looks like a great bike. I am curious on how you find the wind at extended highway speeds say 60-70 mph and above? and have you added a screen?

For context I have done a few multi-day trips on the FZ6R, have a lot of highway time on it, and about 25000 km in total. My impression is the fairing doesn't cut all that much wind blast, but I don't have much naked bike comparison. Unlike some of the folks on this site I don't have strong views pro or con fairings though.

Finally, related question - do you find the cross winds any different, since the Street Triple is a lighter bike?

Thanks!

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

High Park

Thanks! I had a naked GS 500 same vintage and then a faired Ninja 500 before (which also seemed to get battered in the cross-winds) but was much less experienced then, so trying to figure out whether it was my experience level or the fairings/screen. Also used a high Madstad screen on the FZ6R for a while, which really did cut the wind a lot (it was just a bit annoying in the city though so I changed back).