Thinking abou getting a Ducati Monster 796

MrGti

I have been looking at a Ducati Monster 796 in white. I like my Fz6r but just want some thing new. Not sure Which of my bikes to sell/trade, or both to get it. I have a 2007 Ninja 250 and a 2009 FZ6R. Hope to get a test ride on the Monster in the next week or two. I can't aford to have 3 bikes. Any thoughts on the Monster.
Ducati

Sage

Love the monsters, they just look amazing =)

SAFE-T

Why do you want a Monster ?

Ducati's don't have the best track record for reliability ~ about the same as Harley Davidson, actually.

bmw675

i've always heard that ducati, triumph, aprilla ect.... cost alot more to maintain. so compared to your 6r and 250, it would be more expensive, even after purchase. im not much of a naked fan. Im more of an 848 fan myself.

SAFE-T

If you just want a v-twin, why not get a VTR1000F (or RVT1000R ?) or SV1000S. Or even an RSV1000R ?

JonKerr

Elite Member

CBanks2343

Ducati's are expensive as hell to "upkeep" so just be prepared.......a buddy of mine has one and got it for a heck of a deal, but has put the exact same that he paid for it into it already for regular maint. as well as other things that have gone wrong with it

JSP

Super Moderator
We have bets on whos bike will have more problems on our group rides. Everyone always bets on the Ducatis and everyone always wins :thumbup: Awesome bikes, but they just seem so damn problematic.

bigguybbr

The desmo's do seem to take a lot of upkeep just like the Aprillia's, but what can you say, some people really love their spaghetti lol

owldaddy

If you like to do your own maintenance, your in luck. There is plenty of it on a Ducati, and you will get to know your machine intimately. They do look cool, and they perform real good, when they are running right. If your looking to get on it and ride, when ever you want, you might look for something less maintenance intensive. I used to be that guy who wanted to wrench on my machines, now I just want to ride. It is tough to beat a Japanese machine for the money.

RockZooky

I took a 796 for a test ride last year when it first came out and it was awesome. As soon as my truck sells I will be putting that money towards a new 796 this spring.

e.blackadder

If you like to do your own maintenance, your in luck. There is plenty of it on a Ducati, and you will get to know your machine intimately. They do look cool, and they perform real good, when they are running right. If your looking to get on it and ride, when ever you want, you might look for something less maintenance intensive. I used to be that guy who wanted to wrench on my machines, now I just want to ride. It is tough to beat a Japanese machine for the money.
Parts' availablility might also be a problem. A guy at work had a Duc and something broke at the beginning of the riding season. Bike spent month waiting for the part to arrive.

Ther are great for looking, but you also need a reliable bike for riding.

MrGti

Parts' availablility might also be a problem. A guy at work had a Duc and something broke at the beginning of the riding season. Bike spent month waiting for the part to arrive.

Ther are great for looking, but you also need a reliable bike for riding.
Thanks everyone for your input on this. I know that Ducati's can be not so reliable. I am a auto tech by trade, so I will do the service. I am looking to keep one bike so I have something to ride when it is down. I am just drawn to it. This one time I would be buying from the heart not the head. Still have to ride one before I decide to make the move on one.

PWJ

My roommate has a 620 monster from 05. Always starts and runs like a champ at 10k. Man those things handle like a dream and are so light. However he does need to perform a maintenance on it that costs a good penny and doing it yourself with ducati well here is the ducati catch. Most parts require special ducati tools to be removed or changed so your tool collection will increase without choice. Be prepared for that. However if I had the money and the maintenance costs did not bother me sure I would buy a ducati.

wtnotch

My roommate has a 620 monster from 05. Always starts and runs like a champ at 10k. Man those things handle like a dream and are so light. However he does need to perform a maintenance on it that costs a good penny and doing it yourself with ducati well here is the ducati catch. Most parts require special ducati tools to be removed or changed so your tool collection will increase without choice. Be prepared for that. However if I had the money and the maintenance costs did not bother me sure I would buy a ducati.
+1 on the special tools. Your tool collection will grow.

I had a 2007 Monster S4RS for a while and it was definitely a lot of fun. I think the biggest downside was the small tank that would only go 120 miles or so under the best conditions. If you're not already familiar with it, check out Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum for a lot of good information.

MrGti

I am not afraid to buy tools to work on my bike. I own many German cars that I have bought tools for over the years. There is room for a few more tools in my tool box at work, or my box at home. Here is a pic of my toolbox at work.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

MrGti

You peeps are killing me.

If the man had two bikes and wants one, a Ducati, then taking cost of both insurance plus this and that would still be able to handle maintenance costs for the Duc.

If that's what he wants then it's his choice.

Also seriously about this track record crap. All bikes are far better than they were in the past. Triumphs and Ducatis an Aprilias and Harleys are awesome bikes. It's just that you need a service department not too far from you for the first three if you purchase one. They are also high dollar bikes which means higher maintenance costs. Honestly these manufactures have done it right EX: Dodge now makes all vehicles with sealed transmissions because they were loosing money to the smaller shops. And I hate to hear how Harleys are worthless. Since the company was bought by the people who own it now, every bike has basically been a great bike and HIGHLY reliable compared to the previous owner incident in the 70's.

Don't blame total poor craftsmanship due to ONE little story you heard about someone's bike having issues. There is always going to be one or two Bad apples in the bushel. and not everyone takes care of their property.

Peace!
I have done a lot of checking up on Ducati and what I have found is just what you said. They are much better then the bikes made 5 years ago. The Ducati is not a done deal yet. I might test ride it and hate it, most likely not but could happen. I might just put it off to next spring. Will just have to see what happens. I still love my FR6R. If I get a Ducati I will stay around just like a lot of the peeps that moved on bike wise. This site is just to good to quit hanging out on.