Suzuki GSX1250FA

TokenSSDD

Maybe its just me but it seems that the forks are lower as the handlebars are kinda high. Also the footpegs sit farther back which to me makes it look like an awkward position but otherwise it looks the same. I wonder if the footpegs are adjustable like the other Suzukis...?

traverser

I felt like it was meant for someone over 6 foot. I'll simply put I chose the FZ6r over pricepoint, and I wasn't sure if I could handle it.

I will say this I miss the old school SV, and the gladius and GSX650 just don't compare.

Bloke

98hp and 567 lbs? No thanks
Horse power isn't everything. I would bet that the 1250 has more torque than you could think of. 98hp, 578lbs... It may be, it'd still likely own our underpowered heavy machines in a straight line.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

KeysRider3

The 1250FA is built off the old Bandit platform. Suzuki now markets it as part of the GSX line. It is heavy (at rest or slow speeds, but not so at speed), and for a 1250cc motor it's not generating an overabundance of hp. It does have a good amount of torque, and would probably make a decent touring bike. There's a good article on this bike in the January 2012 Sport Rider that reports stock numbers of 93.7 hp (dyno) and 73.6 ft.lbs max torque. The article provides information on mods that boost hp to 120.9 (yes, you read right), and 86.7 ft.lbs. torque for around $1400. There are additional mods - for an additional $1500 - to the suspension that improve performance. With a MSRP of $11,599 the cost of the mods results in an investment of $14,599. A new R1 can be had for less, as can a new GSX-R1000, or a Honda CBR1000RR, or a Kawasaki ZX-10R, all of which will shame the 1250 wherever there's pavement. Go with a 600 supersport (R6, GSX-R600 or 750, ZX-6R, CBR600RR) and you'll have even more money left in your bank account. If you're looking for something more upright consider the FZ-1, Kawasaki's Z1000 or Ninja 1000, or Honda's CB1000R.

roadrat

Interesting bike but I just can't get over the enormous exhaust can. Looks like a freakin' titanium howitzer mounted on the side of the bike.

Last edited:

traverser

I think discussing other bikes in terms of speed for the dollar isn't a good way to roll on this topic. I'd say drop the SS bikes and stay ST. From what I hear the all around best competition out of the "Gentleman's" sport bikes was the Kawi Z1000, (but I thought it was too naked,) when you look over the Yamaha yzf1, which yes it handles better, has more horsepower, but here's the kicker its only at the end of the power band. Its like driving a sport coupe with too large of a turbo, and lag in the middle. I don't know much about the cb1000r, but again too naked of a bike for my tastes.

Last edited:

findmadhav

I think discussing other bikes in terms of speed for the dollar isn't a good way to roll on this topic. I'd say drop the SS bikes and stay ST. From what I hear the all around best competition out of the "Gentleman's" sport bikes was the Kawi Z1000, (but I thought it was too naked,) when you look over the Yamaha yzf1, which yes it handles better, has more horsepower, but here's the kicker its only at the end of the power band. Its like driving a sport coupe with too large of a turbo, and lag in the middle. I don't know much about the cb1000r, but again too naked of a bike for my tastes.
You can even think of the Ninja 1000, the Z1000 with the full fairing. Even expert reviewers preferred the Ninja and the FZ1 over the Suzuki.
Here goes the pic.

kevin8198

Elite Member

See red

I sat on one and it is indeed comfy, the position feels almost identical to the 6r. I like the look, but the fairing is shorter than you would think, I felt it would be a great tourer if the whole fairing and windscreen were higher it would be ideal.

Insure Gal

my hubby has one and it is more than adequate
it took us both for at least 2000 miles before i got my bike
Fz6r cannot touch it on acceleration and top speed handling is superb and he runs with all the big boys who have spent more and they all are very impressed with the Bandit : OH yes it is a 2008 bandit dont know if there were a lot of changes to make it cheaper and call it the GSX now but the torque is phenominal and will wheelie in three gears at will
he loves it as a tourer and sport bike for around town alike and will not get rid of it until a BMW K1300S replaces it.

many of the BMW club riders in our area have ridden his bike or have had one in thepast either 1200 or 1250 give it a thumbs up in rideability power and reliability JUST one of the best kept secrets value wise in the biking world.

RoadTrip

I have seen them in the showroom, they are pretty darn big bikes, but I like the front end and even the single piece seat seems to work, however they chromed the handlebars which could cause glare issues, I think I would rather have a less shiney handlebar.

traverser

You can even think of the Ninja 1000, the Z1000 with the full fairing. Even expert reviewers preferred the Ninja and the FZ1 over the Suzuki.
Here goes the pic.
I believe the response was it was the most comfortable, but the one that had the best of all three worlds, Comfort, fun factor and acceleration was the ninja. THe fz1 has more power but only in the upper rpm range, which leaves a weakness for on/off throttle in mid to low speed situations. Where as the Suzuki did not lack in that area it had lack of power int he upper band. However they did quote the Suzuki to be the most comfortable of the three, and I believe the term was almsot as comfortable as a crusier on long road trips.

Also I've been holding back from this thread. You do realize that the 1250A has a very nice drag bike potential form the transmision alone. A buddy who drag races his 1200 was thinking of upgrading, and picked up a wrecked '11 from auction. the transmission has a few nice upgrades over the previous generation, and he quoted it to be stronger than his stock transmission that he puts over 225 hp through. He also commented that's why they make great drag bikes. Cheap to upgrade. I know he runs a power adder and has a built moter, but admitting he runs a stock transmission, and I've seen his bike run an all out 7.16 previously tells me he must be on to something.