stoplights, do you keep it in gear or nuetral ?

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

My bike goes into neutral as I roll to a stop every time.

My bike has a Barnett racing clutch and the adjustment causes some drag when stopped. I have to leave some slack so there is no slippage when I'm hitting it full throttle. With my engine and HP..it is just the way it has to be.

In the local area I keep it neutral most of the time, I know the timing of the lights so if its about to change I wont put it in neutral but out of the area im a little more cautious.

SurfJunkie

I always put er in neutral after i stop.
I keep the foot on the rear brake, and watch my mirrors for people approaching from behind. If they look stupid, in gear i go.

I have the stock levers still, and i hate the effing clutch lever stiffness/reach.

applejax

I always put er in neutral after i stop.
I keep the foot on the rear brake, and watch my mirrors for people approaching from behind. If they look stupid, in gear i go.

I have the stock levers still, and i hate the effing clutch lever stiffness/reach.
Seems like you added an extra step in there.

You'd have to put your right foot down, bring left up then shift into first.

Where you could just keep it in 1st, then go if you see people being stupid.

SurfJunkie

In all honesty, i spend next to no time on side streets/ at lights.
Almost all my miles/time is highway where its not an issue. Im also not out late at night so drunk drivers aren't a worry.

All close calls ive experienced are people cutting me off or entering / exiting the carpool over double yellows.

Im curious, how many of you guys have almost been rear-ended at a light ?

BoneJj

In all honesty, i spend next to no time on side streets/ at lights.
Almost all my miles/time is highway where its not an issue. Im also not out late at night so drunk drivers aren't a worry.

All close calls ive experienced are people cutting me off or entering / exiting the carpool over double yellows.

Im curious, how many of you guys have almost been rear-ended at a light ?
Me personally, I have had several close calls here in Florida, these people love to rear end other drivers. They just don't pay attention... Not too long ago when I was going to see a friend and pick up my bike while it was at his house I passed an accident where I saw a harley down from getting rear ended. The guy was taken out via life flight because of his injuries, granted he was probably a 60+ rider but still, a simple rear ending did some serious damage to him. I'd go into more details on other accidents I've seen but I don't want to type that much.

BUT, There are a couple things to consider in regards to this. First rear end collisions for a bike can be extremely hazardous to your health. Some of the common injuries are:
Dislocation of vertebra
herniation of disks
neck injuries, whip lash type injuries
broken legs due to being pinned between 2 cars

Less common but certainly possible are having to have legs amputated because of injuries to legs from being slammed between 2 cars, trucks or whatever...
Broken spine either in neck or anywhere along the back from the effects of the severe whip lash that can occur.

Seeing as I have worked as an EMT in a city environment and other locations I have seen some pretty nasty stuff in relation to bike injuries.

These things have gotten me to be pretty damn cautious when stopping at lights, stop signs or anywhere that someone might come up and nail my butt to their hood, literally.

This is why I stop well behind the person in front of me allowing me to be able to move up and to a "lane splitting" like position after those behind me have stopped. This allows me for a good amount of out in the event the person behind me appears to not be stopping fast enough to my liking and if the person behind me gets rear ended I will be off to the side so they will just fly right by me when they get hit are at least I will just be pushed forward between 2 cars were I don't have the risk of getting both legs broken as easily.

This is just my method of minimizing the risk to myself when I'm not riding in a group. I do things a little different when I'm in a group.

Last edited: