Sport Riding Progression

RoadTrip

This Spring starts my 4th year riding sportbikes (30K miles), and I am just as enthusiastic as ever, which is amazing because normally I get bored with hobbies after a few years. However, at one point I thought my interest was going to plateau, even though I had just moved up to the 750. I had expected to get more out of changing bikes, but the newness of the upgrade quickly faded, and wondered maybe I should have gone with a 1000. However, I pressed on and am rediscovering the joy of cornering.

I guess I had gotten lazy and was not progressing, remaining static is definitely a hobby killer and a bike upgrade can only do so much. I have returned to playing around with tip in, entry speeds, and body positions. It all makes a difference, and perfectly executed corners are like catching the perfect wave; it’s a Zen like feeling where you are totally relaxed and get deep in the corner with minimal effort and maximum confidence. Another important aspect is conditioning, fatigue will turn your sport riding into just riding and enduring, I have been doing a single 4-6 hour session the past several weeks and its really starting to pay off. I am really stoked about riding this Spring and the potential for improving my skills, because I now believe that is the more interesting side of sport riding.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

knightmare

That's is were sport bike riding is at..... Track or stuns.... I too want to get on a track some day and push it to the limit.... I just can't push my self that hard on the canyons.... But a track just feels more safe.... Keep at it man....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y

yellowfz

After years of riding I still get excited every time I get to throw a leg over, just love it so much I guess. :D

latony007

im only on year two but i feel bummed out all week i cant ride any farther than 7-11 and cant wait for the weekends. I am already on my 3rd bike so hope it lasts forever :)

Bert-Aus

What I find (purely as a reflection upon perception of risk) interesting
is when I round corners that have guardrailing through hills/ canyons etc how "safe" I "feel"
compared to that "feeling" or "sensation" of danger when cornering where no guardrailing is evident

either way riding different bikes keeps my interest, riding in general gets me excited
not being able to ride every day, let alone every minute builds my anticipation until the next ride

freedom, cornering, power of the bike, controlling the beast beneath/ within, gearing up like a power ranger
-love it all

FastFreddy

I'm trying to hang off less and get a more consistent style these days.
I realised I was hanging off too much at times.
Maybe I should sandpaper off the chicken strips so I'm not thinking about them.

I like the tighter corners that you have to take in the 80-100km/h (50-60mph) range best.

I like getting low on fast sweepers as well, but you have to go too fast to do that.

Kabolting about the freeway doesn't really do it for me unless you're riding with other people.

Track days are best of course if you can motivate to find the time off among all the other things one has to do. (I'm too busy at the moment with building a shed in my time off)

RoadTrip

I should clarify my use of the term 'limits'. I have only ridden street, and the limits I refer to are clearly much lower than track limits. I think most of us street only riders have never really pushed our bikes anywhere near what can be done on the track, the street limits are approached gently with safety as the highest priority, there is no room for a get off. Occasionally you get small slips warning you to take it easy, but on the track you could push beyond these small warnings and allow slides, on the street you listen and make adjustments.

So, 'pushing' on the street is not trying to find ultimate cornering G force or lean angle, but a gentle prodding against these small warning slips and instability. Then by improving your technique you can advance your lean angle and cornering, while not exceeding this street 'limit'. I think listening very carefully and analyzing what your bike is doing is the most important safety system when riding on the street, and staying below what you believe to be a danger zone.

Thanks for the replies so far!

latony007

Maybe I should sandpaper off the chicken strips so I'm not thinking about them.
I quite worrying about them, problem with strips is unless you happen to live on a mountain in the twisties you wind up riding as much street and freeway as you do twisties to get to them and back so the strips never completely go away. I don't get a lot of opportunities to lean over on the 101 lol. Riding would be a lot different if there were no other cars or speed limits on the roads etc. that is for sure.