Socal racers, unite! [[now w/ PICS]] - May 25th - Willow Springs

Cali rider

Re: Socal racers, unite! - May 25th - Willow Springs

Are you guys planning to rent a lap timer? It would be interesting to see who's the quickest :)
I'll have my stopwatch in hand and should be able to give everyone a good idea of where they are running. Under 1:50 will be quick, under 1:40 is really good, under 1:35 and you have no fear of speed.

...Also, am I the only one intimidated by turns 8 and 9? I've never done the super fast stuff before. Had a dream last night that I high-sided on lap 1, T3, of Session 1 !! !!!! Bike was totalled...but I was perfectly fine. I remember flying through the air realizing I was highsiding :D

In any event, WS has quite the rep but I'm sure it will be fine once I get out there.
Turn 8 is very fast but you'll be fine as it exits into a short transisiton into 9. It's 9 that you need to watch as it tightens at the exit onto the front straight. The bottom line is all of you are experienced riders that will have a wonderful time on a fast racetrack.

I will share my story of the demise of my R1 on Sunday with you all. I am lucky to have survived it.

Attachments

M

MarinaFazer

I will share my story of the demise of my R1 on Sunday with you all. I am lucky to have survived it.
What the heck happened? Was that at the track? :( :thumbdown:

Wavex

One of the benefits on having a camera set up on the bike...built in lap timer. But really, with all of us in the same group...I think we'll all get a good idea of everyone's pace by the end of the day.

So who all is coming? Here' the list I'm aware of:

Wavex
Mostro
Hellgate
DefyInertia

And those that will be there but not riding:

Cali_Rider
rsw1
oso2K
Hellgate's wife

Did I miss anyone?

Also, am I the only one intimidated by turns 8 and 9? I've never done the super fast stuff before. Had a dream last night that I high-sided on lap 1, T3, of Session 1 !! !!!! Bike was totalled...but I was perfectly fine. I remember flying through the air realizing I was highsiding :D

In any event, WS has quite the rep but I'm sure it will be fine once I get out there.
I think your list is correct! But there is a 50% chance Mostro is not gonna be able to make it because of work issues...
live2ride600: We'll pm you if Mostro bails out! Maybe you can buy the ticket from him :)

I am intimidated by turn 4a, 4b, and the transition from 8 to 9 to the front straight...
- 4a goes up hill and you have to take it wide to setup for 4b, which is on top of the hill and starts to go down hill coming out of it... it took me all day last time to figure out a line that worked for me, and I am still not sure about it! It's quite a tricky turn, and to see chaz (another friend who's faster than me and had done a dozen track days before without crashing) low-side in front of me in 4b did not help my confidence!

- Turn 8 by itself is a no brainer, other than the insane speeds... ppl will drag a knee in 8 and pass you on the outside at 140mph, while you're going 120 thinking your fast... so yeah, it's scary in that sense, but there is lots of room on the track and the turn is "simple"... transitioning from 8 to 9 and then from 9 to the front straight is a bitch because it is difficult to find a good marker to brake and to determine your line... 8 & 9 are so long that it is difficult to know where you are and when to dive in for the apex of 9... it took me all day last time, and I still was not completely comfortable... hopefully this second day on the bike and at that track will get me there.

None of the turns are particularly technical (except for 4a/b imo), but it's more a question of having the balls to go fast, and finding the markers that work for you (I had trouble with that in turn 2, 8, & 9)...

No I'm concerned about those corners too. I'm more of a short technical track rider.

I love short tight stuff as well... this is definitely not it :)

I'll have my stopwatch in hand and should be able to give everyone a good idea of where they are running. Under 1:50 will be quick, under 1:40 is really good, under 1:35 and you have no fear of speed.
Awesome, thanks John!

The bottom line is all of you are experienced riders that will have a wonderful time on a fast racetrack.
That statement followed by pics of your R1 was priceless :rof: :rockon:

See you at lunch!!!

Hellgate

Would someone please text me Louis' address and p-number? I've PM'd him but no reply yet. I'd like to plug everything into my GPS prior to leaving as we will not have internet at my Mom's place...stoneage...

I've got a huge pile of stuff to lash onto the bike. I'm going to look like a Gypsy wagon! Trailer test drive went great today! :thumbup:

Cali rider

Would someone please text me Louis' address and p-number? I've PM'd him but no reply yet. I'd like to plug everything into my GPS prior to leaving as we will not have internet at my Mom's place...stoneage...

I've got a huge pile of stuff to lash onto the bike. I'm going to look like a Gypsy wagon! Trailer test drive went great today! :thumbup:
Pete, PM sent with the information.

M

mostro

Well guys, have a RIPPIN good time! I will be there in spirit, but am very VERY regretful to admit I will not be able to make it.

Hope to scoot over to wavex's house (only a few miles away from me) to meet up w/ him and DefyInertia, and Cali Rider to send them off.

I can't go due to horrible issues with my job. I won't go any further as every other word will be censored out anyway.

Have a fun and SAFE time guys! :rockon:

O

oso2k

Well guys, have a RIPPIN good time! I will be there in spirit, but am very VERY regretful to admit I will not be able to make it.

Hope to scoot over to wavex's house (only a few miles away from me) to meet up w/ him and DefyInertia, and Cali Rider to send them off.

I can't go due to horrible issues with my job. I won't go any further as every other word will be censored out anyway.

Have a fun and SAFE time guys! :rockon:
That's too bad. We'll have to hangout again some other time.

O

oso2k

Well fellas...Becca & I had a great time hosting you guys and it was awesome to watch you guys on the track. I have about 8GB of MinDV video to ship to you guys. So, if you guys would PM you addresses I'll send it out today.

M

MarinaFazer

awesome, I look forward to seeing pics. :needpics: - you saw this coming, right? ;)

DefyInertia

:steve:

long day! long weekend!

I don't have any pics but I know a lot were taken....might be a while before they all get processed though.

Louis really came through for us :thumbup:

Wavex

What an Epic weekend! It was awesome and I will post more about it (including pictures) soon... I have a customer here all week so bear with me...

Oh and I crashed the gixxer :(

More soon!

Cali rider

It was great meeting Pete (Hellgate) and his wife, seeing oso2k and his wife again and spending a couple of days with Nate (Defy) talking bikes and other things. Pete and Nate each took their time warming up to the layout and pace of Willow Springs as the pictures and videos online just don't emphasize the elevation changes and pure speed accurately. Once they were comfortable with tire setup and the traffic in their group (40 riders in B group!!) they worked on corner speeds. It was a comfortable 85°F all day, although the wind really picked up early in the afternoon, which causes a lot of problems on lean angle in the fast turns 1 and 8. They both were passing other riders and looked very smooth and controlled. When the pics go up you'll see 3 very good riders in action.

Which brings us to the following quote:

..Oh and I crashed the gixxer :(

More soon!
This teaser statement is not 100% accurate. David was running FAST, picking up his pace each of the 3 sessions he ran. I timed him going 1:41 in session 2 and I was looking at him dipping into the 1:30 range when he had an incident in the difficult turn 4a-4b section. Several bikes had already run wide there and had been pulled out of the gravel/dirt, which inevitably drops crap on the racing line. He can speak for himself but it appears that he hit a rock or something on the road coming downhill in 4B and it made the rear spin around, resulting in his fall. No injuries other than a couple of scrapes and his bike has token damage to controls and plastics, it will be up and running soon.

I spectated and took pictures all day, but I had a great time. I'll be back to ride with these animals next time. Thanks to all for a great day.

M

MarinaFazer

Did you guys meet a guy named Todd on a MV Agusta? He said he lowsided as well, and I'm 99% sure he was at the same trackday as he got the info about it from me!

DefyInertia

Did you guys meet a guy named Todd on a MV Agusta? He said he lowsided as well, and I'm 99% sure he was at the same trackday as he got the info about it from me!
There was one guy in the C group with a Brutale....don't think we met him...didn't know he crashed. Why would you do a track day with that bike???

M

MarinaFazer

Yea, I think it might be a Brutale....naked bike. It's an awesome bike. He's a great guy!

Wavex

OK I'll start with the pics first...

Sunday afternoon at my house before leaving for Oso2k's house...
From the left: rsw81, DefyInertia, mostro, and Cali_Rider:

Wavex

No pics from the wonderful evening at Oso's, but we arrived at the racetrack on Monday morning at around 7:30am:

Hellgate putting his leathers on :D

Hellgate and Mrs Hellgate:

Nate's famous leathers:

Mrs Hellgate:

Wavex

The bikes:

The wavex machine:

The Hellgate machine:

The DefyInertia machine:

Wavex

Defy and I:

Time to go out for the first session of the day!!!

... and we're on our way!