Side walk to parking lot?

Sidewalk Or Parking Spot

• Park on sidewalk

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Park in parking spot.

Votes: 54 76.1%

• Total voters

rjohnson5481

Went to the gym today, and parked where i've parked for 3 months now, on the curb " behind" the front door. I've seen up to 5 bikes in the same area never a problem. Until today. As i'm taking my gear off getting ready to go inside, and older guy walks by and says " look at the parking lot, white lines and everything why can't you park there" At first i was a little thrown back and didn't quite know what to say. But responded with " i've never had a problem". He said something as he went in the door but i couldn't quite make it out. As i go in and sign in with the desk they tell me i have to move. So i questioned it up to the GM of the Gym and they pretty much told me that because he complained i had to move my bike, but the told me to park in the white lines around the handicapped parking. Seems like a much worse place to park..But i moved the bike. I confronted the guy a little later as we passed each other and asked him if i could talk to him for a moment and he snapped " no" and kept going. After that i figured i made my point with him and left him alone. But i'm curious as to how many of you guys park on the sidewalk on in spots when going to places like the gym.

EDIT:
I'm about to head to work but i'll post some pictures tonight or tomorrow showing where i park that way you can understand what i mean by " behind " the front door

JSP

Super Moderator
I only park in parking spots. I figure more people would be pissed at me by parking on a sidewalk or something than taking up a whole space for my bike. I have never had an issue parking in a space. I dont need any legal issues either by not parking in a legal space.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Chucker

Why would I park anywhere other than a parking spot? I don't think owning a bike gives me special rights, unless there is a designated motorcycle parking area.

Kdubb223

Parking spot for sure. I have witnessed too many d bags parking their bikes right up front. Motorcycle is not a bicycle. What's next pull my motorcycle up to bike rack at my college and chain her up?

JSP

Super Moderator

Spunky99

Identify the complainer's vehicle for future reference.
Park in designated parking spaces for the time being.

I understand the desire to park in a place where a cager has less of a chance of knocking your bike over by accident. The problem is that the complainer doesn't realize the severe damage done to a bike in a very minor parking mishap and he doesn't care.

Bottom line is that the gym should provide a safe section for motorcycles only so as not to impact the cagers and also to keep the cagers from hitting the bikes with seperation.

kevin8198

Elite Member

Mr Citrus

I almost always park in a designated spot, unless I have to run to walmart for something, I'll park my bike up front in the loading/unloading zone off to the side. I've spoken to security there and they have no problems with it.

Sage

I always park in a spot unless it's very busy, then I'll park in the zebra stripes, but still out of the way so not to be a hinderence

JSP

Super Moderator
Not sure why some people think its ok.... Would you do it in your car if the sidewalk was big enough? This is another thing that gives us a bad name. It makes people think that WE think we are better than others because we have bikes. :confused: Park in a parking space. More people will key your bike because they think you are an ass for not using a space. I wouldnt want to come out and see my bike being loaded onto a tow truck either. IDK... thats just my opinion.

Spunky99

Not sure why some people think its ok.... Would you do it in your car if the sidewalk was big enough? This is another thing that gives us a bad name. It makes people think that WE think we are better than others because we have bikes. :confused: Park in a parking space. More people will key your bike because they think you are an ass for not using a space. I wouldnt want to come out and see my bike being loaded onto a tow truck either. IDK... thats just my opinion.
It works both ways...Some people go frothing at the mouth when they see a sport bike taking up a whole car sized parking spot and then the others get freaking crazy when you try to take a small space out of the way because it isn't designated. I've seen both so there is no way to win for a motorcycle.
I'd just request a separate motorcycle parking area marked off. They have it at work and if the cruiser dudes take up a whole car parking spot they get teed off.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

rjohnson5481

i don't quite agree why are we better b/c we park on the side walk?
that doesn't make us better.

Mr Citrus

i don't quite agree why are we better b/c we park on the side walk?
that doesn't make us better.
I think it was referencing bikers being too good for parking spots, so we park on the sidewalk so we don't have to walk as far.
I'm not explaining what I want to say so well:eek:

rjohnson5481

I think it was referencing bikers being too good for parking spots, so we park on the sidewalk so we don't have to walk as far.
I'm not explaining what I want to say so well:eek:
i think i'm tracking now. I think it's the ignorance of other people that causes a problem. The best part was some people do understand it's just the select few ruining the batch, a guy walked by as i was talking to the employees at the desk, and said nice bike, i'd park it there too.

I bought a brand new car and washed it a week later to find a few door dings, which is why i refuse to park in a spot next to a car unless absolutley necessary. Maybe it's that I want to keep my bike in the best condition but once again the disregard of a few people for others belongings causes problems like this.
/rant

I posted a picture of the place from thier website...You can see the entrance juts out from the building leaving the area " behind" the door.

Attachments

yfz6r

I just try to park on concrete. Ive come outside to a bike with the kickstand sunk all the way through the asphault and my newly painted bike on the ground.

When there is no concrete to be found (wich is rare), I have a 4x6x.5" piece of steel that my stepdad stamped for me. (he's a harley rider...)

I comfortably park in grass with that guard but hate getting in and out of my back seat to grab it.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member