Scrub Marks On Tire

rl9228

What do you think caused marks like this on my tire?

I'm the only rider, so it had to be me.

There was only one occasion that might have done this. I was riding through a sharp curve and hit a sand patch. The rear tire slid out and I nearly laid it down. I managed to find some traction and accelerated out of the curve.

Other than that it's been smooth riding.

Could this be a tire defect?

Attachments

• DSCF3746.jpg
    DSCF3746.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 177
Are you putting tire shine on your tires?

Ever lock up the rear?

That's thes tock tire?
How many miles?

I don't recall locking up the rear tire.

Yes, it's the stock tire...that picture was taken with just over 1000 miles on the tire.

it doesn't look deep and almost like the tire must've been really hot, and whatever you went over imprinted on it? doesn't look like it should affect safety much. after you wear out that part of the tread it looks like it should be ok i think...

I don't mean to be nosy but you said you almost slid out but saved it.
Do you think weight had anything do do with it losing the traction in the corner and that roached area of the tire?

Looks as though you may have botched a downshift, locked for a split second. Do you rev match when you downshift? Spinning up the rear in a corner wouldn't do that I don't think.

to me it looks like u rolled over something on the roadwhen ur tire was really hot. who knows what it could have been. but like Detrich said, it will eventually wear down. but u will be ok to ride on it. might even improve ur traction :D

That spot was not from a rotating tire. A sudden downshift or hard braking causing the rear tire to lock up, while sliding over a rough surface could have caused that. The tire was in a heated or soft condition at the time of occurance, and it appears that it was slightly angled to the left.

Take notice to the way the imprint on the tire is parallel with the centerline of the tire. If you hit sand, and the the tire tried to slide out, the imprint would be perpendicular or even angled with the centerline of the tire. Just my opinion.

to me it looks like u rolled over something on the roadwhen ur tire was really hot. who knows what it could have been. but like Detrich said, it will eventually wear down. but u will be ok to ride on it. might even improve ur traction :D

My thoughts as well. If you notice the stria match the curve of the tire. If you had slid or locked up the tire they would be at an angle.

That spot was not from a rotating tire. A sudden downshift or hard braking causing the rear tire to lock up, while sliding over a rough surface could have caused that. The tire was in a heated or soft condition at the time of occurance, and it appears that it was slightly angled to the left.

Take notice to the way the imprint on the tire is parallel with the centerline of the tire. If you hit sand, and the the tire tried to slide out, the imprint would be perpendicular or even angled with the centerline of the tire. Just my opinion.

11 years in the tire business and I would have to agree 100% with Husker. I have been riding over 40 years and have seen my tires look just like this on my lighter bikes when I lock up the tires. Ride safe!

Back