Scrub in or Not to scrub in.

efforex

So i just today got a new front and rear tire. I am curious of what steps you guys take to get them ready for the twisties. I have heard of just riding them, Scrubbing them in sand paper washing with soap blah blah blah. What have you guys done or do for your new tires. I am trying to go ride some twisties on Friday afternoon and ill go and take it slow or ill scrub them in and test the waters. But i thought i would hear what yalls input would be :D
:wav:

Kdubb223

I have heard two schools of thought:
1. scrub in tires by riding normal and gradually increasing your lean angle in turns for the first 50-100 miles (what the guys who installed my 023's told me)
2. today's tires require no scrub in time and only need to be properly warmed up before going at it too hard

What the internet says:
First off, Knoche quickly dispatched the old wives' tale that the surface of the tire needs to be scuffed or roughed up to offer grip. "Maybe it's coming from the old days when people were spraying mold release on the tread when the molds were maybe not that precise," Knoche speculates, "and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying. The sidewall is important because you have all the engraving in the sidewall [with tire size, inflation pressure and certifications] and that you want to look nicely on your tire, so that's why we still spray the mold release there."

Read more: How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine

BoneJj

I have heard two schools of thought:
1. scrub in tires by riding normal and gradually increasing your lean angle in turns for the first 50-100 miles (what the guys who installed my 023's told me)
2. today's tires require no scrub in time and only need to be properly warmed up before going at it too hard

What the internet says:
First off, Knoche quickly dispatched the old wives' tale that the surface of the tire needs to be scuffed or roughed up to offer grip. "Maybe it's coming from the old days when people were spraying mold release on the tread when the molds were maybe not that precise," Knoche speculates, "and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying. The sidewall is important because you have all the engraving in the sidewall [with tire size, inflation pressure and certifications] and that you want to look nicely on your tire, so that's why we still spray the mold release there."

Read more: How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine
That's a joke, I have no trust in that.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Bloke

I just took it easy for the first 100 miles. As for it being a myth, there are a fair few YouTube vids that suggest otherwise and also just for appearances sake, compared to new my tyres are a lot more matt/textured now after a few thousand miles.

D

Deleted member 9794

That's a joke, I have no trust in that.
Ditto!

I just changed my rear tire 3 weeks ago. As soon as I was done, I took it out for a spin and at the first red light from a dead stop I tried to gun it ;) guess what happened? Not a dayuum thing because the rear was spinning in place :mad:

...I spent about 5 minutes per tire and using sandpaper manually scrubbed my tire with the sand paper....

I still feel a bit a slippage while in a lean, maybe I'll try sandpaper, what grit are you using?

buzzbomb

Elite Member

06330i

I've always taken it easy the first 50 miles, and pretty much from then on road normally. Always keep the tires warm too when riding the twisties.

JonKerr

Elite Member

BKP

Same same. I take it easy the first 100 miles, and after that, good to go. *Every* dealer or installer I've asked about this basically said the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

travisH3

This is why I'm scared of new tires lol

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=J5XnLT-yvvQ]Brand new Gixxer crashed - YouTube[/ame]

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Fenixgoon

my buddy said the mold release compound is no longer an issue.

i asked him because we put on a brand new set of tires before doing a track day.

edit: keep in mind, you do want your tires warm before pushing them!

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

efforex

Thanks guys i kinda figured i would just ride it out. I didnt like the sound of sand paper plus i didnt want to have to buy it lol. Im just gonna mess with my exhaust tomorrow and hit up a road some where and break em in :D :rockon:

BoneJj

If you are going to use the above mentioned method just dont do this lmfao
Moto Jackass Can't Burnout or Ride - YouTube
WOW, that was a complete failure!

Also doing a burnout to rough a tire up just seems dopey to me. That and a burnout like the ding bat up top is just killing a few thousand miles that the tire could have seen of road use. Tires are too expensive for that kind of garbage.