Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Chucker

I use my speedo to make sure I'm not speeding. Other than that, it's either tach or sound for gear selection.

BKP

I admittedly don't pay much attention to either (other than maybe the fuel gauge). I can pretty much hear/feel where the tach is at, and depending on what gear I'm in, I can discern my speed. I'll glance at the speedo occasionally, when on the highway, if I'm in 6th, and passing existing traffic a bit too quickly.

With a good tail wind on the highway, the buffeting is reduced and it's sometimes tougher to tell how fast you're really moving (and I've hit those triple digits a couple of times thinking I'm still around 80 -- specially if I have the road to myself and no reference traffic).

RooKie

I'm surprised at how many people look at their RPMs... I constantly check my MPH to make sure I'm not going more than 15 over (Not that it matters, haha), and while on the highway I sometimes compare my RPMs and MPH to check if I'm in 5th or 6th.

When riding hard, I think it's more important to keep my eyes on the road than my RPMs... I can hear and feel max torque just fine w/o looking. :D

Rookasaki

Heading out for a 50 mile ride tomorrow. Lots of twisties and technical corners. I might tape my MPH gauge and see how that affect's my riding. Should be interesting and fun not knowing how fast I'm taking the corners. :D

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Rookasaki

Why does it matter how fast you're taking them, if you're not on the track? I sometimes do that too. I'll sail a corner, and can't help but glance at the speedo. At the end of the day though, unless you're on a track...

I either nailed that corner or I didn't. I don't need the gauges to tell me which it is. I strongly suspect you don't either, LOL! :D
I don't at all care how fast I'm going in a corner, just thought it would be different with the speedo taped up. ;)