Riding Gear

gearhead

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

Roaddawg

How are these pants in very hot climates? I'm looking for some to use in 100+ degree temps. Anyone have experience with HOT weather riding protection?
I wore mine last summer a couple times in 95-100 temps and they are too hot. If your moving at freeway speeds, they are bearable, but once you slow down or stop, they are too warm. Maybe if you wore shorts under them they may be better, but probably not. They are more for cooler temps. Maybe look at the mesh type overpants with armor.

Roaddawg

Is there a difference between a textile jacket and a mesh jacket?

Thanks
Textile basically means its not leather, just fabric. Mesh is a type of textile jacket. It's like a netting type of fabric. I have the Tourmaster Intake jacket and like it a lot, because its a universal four season jacket. It has two liners; one to block wind and rain and the other is a quilted liner for warmth. When you zip out both liners and its just the mesh, you feel like your wearing a t-shirt, but you still have all the armor. It's great in the hot temps. I've worn it all year long from temps in the low 30's to over 100 and am happy with it. Of course leather with armor is going to be the best protection, but not very comfortable during the warm summer months or wet winter months. If your looking for an all-in-one jacket, look at these types.

NineseveN

Is there a difference between a textile jacket and a mesh jacket?

Thanks
Yes, mesh offers very little protection as compared to leather or textile and mesh may melt during a slide on concrete/asphalt, causing burning bits of plastic to get into your road rash. It's great for hot days, until you go down and actually need protection. But lots of people wear it and some do argue the points above, so it's really up to you. Perforated leather or vented textile is, IMHO, the way to go.

jay

bought this textile/leather jacket from Leatherup.com for $69.00 rode in it for five hours yesterday, found it very comfortable , however had to return their riding jeans was overall flimsy construction, have ordered Alpinestars parlor boots, looks great for riding to work, i still have to buy knee/shin guards, like the one jonkerr have

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/Mens-Armored-Black-and-Grey-Tri-Tex-Fabric-With-Leather-Trim-Jackets-and-Level-3-Advanced-Armor/42543.html

Last edited:

MikeN02

I got the Frank Thomas XTI Textile Jacket. Really comfortable and it keeps me warm. Has a removable liner that goes all the way down your arms.

bjpinub

Just ordered a pair of the TourMaster Caliber Textile pants. They stated they should receive them in a couple of days. From what everyone has stated, I believe they will be the best bang for the buck. Thanks to all who provided input. I guess having all the basic riding gear means I get to do something about the measly 14 miles on my FZ6R. Yay!!! :D

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

kekeke, I'm wearing walmart boots too, bought some for the MSF class. I got the black swat boots or so but they're quite annoying. My friend got some Shift Boots and I have to say those are mighty sexy.

DragonBlu

Dainese Zen Jacket-Shoei TZR Helmet-Draggin Jeans-Heavy Leather boots. I just wear what feels good to me and I think offers the best protection for my style.

travstoll

This is most of my daily riding gear....minus some bargain bin gloves (I know I need new ones)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shift-Racing-Streetfighter-Hybrid-Jacket/dp/B002RPHOWS"]Shift Streetfighter Jacket[/ame]

Fieldsheer 4 season pants

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Boots-Racing-Techsport-MB2620/dp/B000PJ8LVQ"]vega boots[/ame]

hjc cl15 helmet

Newmason

Does anyone have the Alpinestars s-mx2 boot? I ordered some last week and they should be arriving via UPS tomorrow sometime. Will give a full write up and some pictures when they show up. Hopefully they are better than my North Face hiking boots I have been wearing ;)

MikeN02

Those look delicious Newmason.. I'm trying to find some blue Alpinestars or boots period to match my gear but have found no luck.. Either white or black

Newmason

Mike, why not just get some black ones? Seems like finding color matching boots is quit limited. Its either black, white or a very limited amount of color that matches your gear with mostly black on them.

MikeN02

Mike, why not just get some black ones? Seems like finding color matching boots is quit limited. Its either black, white or a very limited amount of color that matches your gear with mostly black on them.
Black is very common, I kind of want to stand out from other riders =). Though I'm still shopping around, I won't be buying boots anytime soon since all my money is going towards paying the bike off.