Riding Gear

WenMark

What type of riding gear does everyone wear? I am considering getting a Joe Rocket Sport Jacket to wear but don't want to spend $150 if they are uncomfortable or you don't use them much. I currently just ride in jeans and a leather jacket, steel toe boots & Fulmer full face helmet, but would like to be safer Any other recommendations on articles of clothing, shoes, boots, etc?? Your advice is appreciated:)

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Funkmaxtor

I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket (Phoenix 5.0) with a waterproof liner and I love it. I also have the Atomic Pants. I really like both but I wish I spent the extra 10 - 20 bucks for the Phoenix pants. I had my pants for just over a week and melted the right leg on my engine cover.

Go with the Phoenix gear all the way around you would be disappointed.

SoulRider

What type of riding gear does everyone wear? I am considering getting a Joe Rocket Sport Jacket to wear but don't want to spend $150 if they are uncomfortable or you don't use them much. I currently just ride in jeans and a leather jacket, steel toe boots & Fulmer full face helmet, but would like to be safer Any other recommendations on articles of clothing, shoes, boots, etc?? Your advice is appreciated:)
You need to get some motorcycle-specific gear. Basic steel toe boots are not worth much. You need bike boots that have ankle protection, as that's what gets broken in many crashes, not toes.
Same thing with a leather jacket. You need a biker jacket that has armor in the arms, shoulders and back. Same thing with pants, which should have adjustable pouches for the knee pads and a way to attach them to your jacket. If you go down the gap between jacket and pants will mean you are dangerously exposed! I found that one out the hard way.

I wear a Joe Rocket ballistic Nylon jacket and the Alter Ego pants. With the pants I can wear shorts or even a bathing suit under them, plus they have lots of vents in them, with a strip that can be completely removed.
JoeRocket.com

If you are worried about the expense of new gear try used or shop around for sales. I suggest going to your local brick & mortar store and trying on everything in your size and seeing how it all fits. Buy what's on sale, then compare their prices to places online. If you show the store the online price they may try to come close to it, but never expect bike shops to offer good deals on gear.

MNDZA

Joe Rocket Jackets, one perf. leather and one normal. Draggin Jeans kevlar pants liner with armor. Sidi boots. Alpinestars gloves. Shoei helmet.

gizmogirl

Hi guys..I am new to the forum and to motorcycles but just bought myself a FZ6R and am excited. I ride alot with my husband and wear the joe rocket alter ego jacket. Love it. The arms and mid panel zip off leaving the mesh and armor in place and it sure does breath nice. I am going to purchase the same in pants. My husband liked the way it breathed so much that he bought one as well. I highly recommend spending the money as you really get what you pay for.

Gizmogirl:)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

nlpyle

I have two Frank Thomas Jackets, one is mesh for those hot days. The mesh one I paid around 90 brand new from Cyclegear.com and the other one I paid a little more. I love both of my jackets. I have the Frank Thomas riding boots as well, love those, fit right and no problems shifting. I bought some Icon's first and the ones I got the toe was to thick and just more of a hassel to shift with. The only pants I have though are my First Gear pants and those are just for rainy days. Other then that I just ride in my jeans. My buddy has some mesh Frank Thomas pants and he swears by those things. They are only around 120 or so on sale at Cyclegear. I would suggest you just keep looking and you can find some really good deals. Best of luck to ya.

zig308

I have an HJC full face helmet, SIDI "high-top" boots, leather gloves with hard plastic knuckles, and just bought an Olympia hi-viz mesh jacket with removable liner.

I'll get some sort of over pants at some point. Just wearing jeans for now.

GoGreen09

Before I started riding, I started pricing the gear so I could save up for them. I ended up buying a Joe Rocket Nova 2.0 jacket for $100, and I thought it was a great deal especially when my friend gave me his JR pants for free. I wore jeans and just some Magnum steel toed boots. Not a week later after passing the MSF course and getting my license, I ended up buying Dianese DelMar jacket and Drake pants. I also ended up with a pair of Sidi B2 boots. So what happened to saving money on the gear? I may be an extreme case here, but after going 80mph (and wanting to go faster), I realized that gear is something I didn't want to skimp on. You may think that I overpaid for my gear (which I may have), but the peace of mind is worth it that if you do go down, you have a chance to walk away from it. Bottom line, there's a lot of gear out there! Don't let the price (to an extent) dictate what you get. BTW, I went the Dianese route just because I already know that I want to do trackdays.

Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 jacket--leather with zip out vest, and zip out under arms that reveal a mesh liner that works great in the heat. I was riding back east in the heat and with vest liner out and mesh under arms revealed it was very comfortable. It seems to have good padding and is comfortable...looks pretty cool too. Got at Fun Bike Center in San Diego...about $225.

Frank Thomas Textile riding pants. I did some reading about jeans and these are supposed to be over 10 times stronger...not as strong a leather, but much stronger than jeans. They are very comfortable...I highly recommend. They were $119 at Cycle Gear.

Alpine Star Ridge Boots. Very comfortable and even waterproof. Try on a few pairs at different size to get the best fit...don't trust the size on the box. They were $129 at Cycle Gear.

Cortech Tourmaster Vice gloves. Comfortable and appear very durable, but they do not go over the wrist so if I put it down there might be some exposure between the gloves and jacket. Don't remember cost.

Shoei modular helmet. Very comfortable and pretty quiet with the chin guard that comes with it. I still wear ear plugs though. The modular helmet means you can slide up the face part which is great when riding in slow traffic in the heat, or when you are tring to talk to someone. It goes up and down as easy as your face shield does. $446 at Alba Action Sports in Poway, CA.

With all of that I feel pretty well protected when I ride.

btastarsky

Icon Hooligan Jacket (CE approved armor in the shoulders, elbows, and back)

HJC full face helmet

Jeans or tactical BDU Pants (reinforced knees and slots for knee pads)

Blackhawk Warrior Wear Black Ops Boots (heavy duty construction and increased protection around ankles)

Voodoo Tactical Gloves (low price but still have hard knuckle guards)

RZ350 Rider

I ride with a Joe Rocket Nitro "Yamaha" edition jacket and Joe Rocket Pro Street pants, both w/armor. Very comfortable. I also have JR Big Bang boots plus a pair of their gloves w/gel palms. I haven't used the zip out vest for the jacket yet, but will towards the end of the season.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

WenMark

Picked up a Joe Rocket Silver/Black Phoenix 5.0 Jacket today. I really like it. :)

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member