Riding Gear

stroke

i just bought this cool Team Yahama Racing jacket with the Camel patches on the front... blue leather pretty cool.. hadnt got it yet though on its way..

Last edited:
Well, I just high sided yesterday, so I want to share in case it might help. As far as riding gear, I have:

Alpinestar GPS 3 boots, which were awesome (my feet and ankles are fine).

An Icon Accelerant Leather Jacket, which I sort of regret because they don't have anything to connect to pants with. My shoulder took a SERIOUS impact, and I have serious pain, but no bruising or breaking (as far as I can tell), which I guess is the jacket working? I got a chunk ripped out of my side, right at the bottom of the jacket where it rode up when I slid on the rocks. Next jacket WILL have belt loops.

A full face KBC Force RR helmet (couple years old), which worked well as far as I can tell, but the face shield popped off (not sure if thats normal).

I was wearing some winter gloves that aren't motorcycle specific, but they had leather palms and took the abuse like a champ, hands are fine.

Brand new jeans, which were torn to shreds and offered little protection, though probably better than shorts...

Lessons? Wear abrasion resistant pants with CE approved armor that connct to an abrasion resistant jacket with CE approved armor. Wear hip and thigh protection, not just padding (though it would have been better than nothing).

I definitely won't skimp on the protection, because while I'm sure this could have been far worse, I'm sure it could have been far better too. Hope this helps.

Roaddawg

Glad to hear your o.k. Thanks for the info on how your gear held up....or didn't (jeans). I need to get me some warm weather pants. I have Tourmaster Caliber pants, which I like, but they are best below 70 degrees. I tend to take them off and just wear my regular jeans. But, since yours didn't far very well, I'm now convinced to buy some warm weather pants. Would you recommend those kevlar reinforced type jeans?

Would you recommend those kevlar reinforced type jeans?
Hey, as long as they're better than regular jeans at resisting abrasion, I'm all for em, but armor might be the best bet because my hip is really messed up and pants alone wouldn't have saved them I think lol. I'm pretty new to riding so any input from experienced riders would be great.

JoshF

Alpinestars NYC Jacket
Alpinestars Octane Glove
Shoei RF-1100 Helmet - Anthricite
Riding pants - Alpinestars DNS
Still need to pick boots - leaning toward Sidi Vertigo or Alpinestars Soho

Bike shopping for my 1st motorcycle and leaning toward a FZ6R over a Ninja 650. I'm liking black. What do you guys think?

F

FZ6Rgurl

I have the Alpinestar Stella jacket(leather), Icon Regal Airframe helmet, and icon riding pants that go over your regular jeans. I match my bike. :D

redwing-2001

I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket (Phoenix 5.0) with a waterproof liner and I love it. I also have the Atomic Pants. I really like both but I wish I spent the extra 10 - 20 bucks for the Phoenix pants. I had my pants for just over a week and melted the right leg on my engine cover.

Go with the Phoenix gear all the way around you would be disappointed.
an inexpensive way to fix those melted pants: get an ironing board cover that compliments the color of your pants and cut out a piece and sew it in the pant leg. if done correctly, it looks custom and will prevent any further heat damage.

Heineken

Elite Member

gfhgj

Hey, as long as they're better than regular jeans at resisting abrasion, I'm all for em, but armor might be the best bet because my hip is really messed up and pants alone wouldn't have saved them I think lol. I'm pretty new to riding so any input from experienced riders would be great.
I have the Alpinestar Stella jacket(leather), Icon Regal Airframe helmet, and icon riding pants that go over your regular jeans. I match my bike.

bjpinub

GX Air vs. Jett

Since the weather in my area is starting to warm up a little bit, I think it is time I purchase some gear prior to my first riding season. Since I bought my FZ6R (11/28/2009), I have only put 14 miles on the bike, since the odometer reads 14 miles. For those 14 miles, I have been wearing my Galls 5.11 coat (Yellow/Lime with reflective striping, reflective lettering on the back, and a removable fleece liner). I don't want to continue wearing this coat because 1) it is a $230 coat, 2) it has no armor in it, and 3) it is big, bulky, and heavy (about 5-6 lbs).

On that note, I have been looking at some different jackets. I think I have decided I am not a leather type person. I originally had jackets narrowed down to two choices, a Tourmaster Jett or a Cortech GX Air. In any case, I would prefer blue, since my FZ6R is the Team Yamaha Blue. From what I have seen online, I am leaning more towards the Cortech GX Air, mainly because it appears to have a couple of better aspects. The GX Air appears to have some added protection over the Jett, mainly down the back. Also, the GX Air supposedly comes with two liners, one for wet weather and one for cold weather. The main downfall of the GX Air is the price difference. The Jett runs $100 to $125 USD whereas the GX Air runs $180 to $225 USD. If the jackets will essentially be the same in all aspects, then the obvious choice would be the Jett; however, if the GX Air has more features and actually offers better protection, then the GX Air would be worth the price difference.

Overall, I want something which will provide the best protection for the best value. Also, I do not want to go overboard with the cost, i.e. I do not see spending $500+ for a jacket. At the same time, though, I am not wanting a $50 jacket which would be equivalent to a fleece jacket or windbreaker.

Below are links to the two jackets, for those who are not familiar with either one.

Cortech GX Air Series 2 Jacket
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TOURMASTER-CORTECH-GX-AIR-MOTORCYCLE-LEATHER/dp/B000J4I6TY]Amazon.com: TOURMASTER/CORTECH GX-AIR MOTORCYCLE JACKET W/LEATHER BL/BK SIZE:LRG: Clothing[/ame]

Tourmaster Jett Series 2 Jacket
Tour Master - Jett Series 2 Jacket - BTO Sports

Has anyone had either of these jackets, and if so, any thoughts? Anyone have any better suggestions?

CGENGO

Bargain gear....

I was able to pick up some amazing bargains on Craigslist. As folks sell their bikes, they also sell their gear. :surrender: Be picky and you can find jackets, gloves, boots, pants. I am now sporting an amazing full leather (cafe racer style) jacket, a mesh Joe Rocket jacket, Icon boots and good gloves. Just be sure to try before you buy, and take cash......not a check drawn on the bank of Nairobi!:eek:

Roaddawg

Has anyone had either of these jackets, and if so, any thoughts? Anyone have any better suggestions?
I've got the Tourmaster Intake jacket. Its been perfect. Its a mesh jacket but also has the two liners and armor as well. I've worn it in the low 30's and in the 100+ temps and it works get. I like the universal aspects of it. When its hot, you zip out the liners and the air blows right through the mesh, yet you still have all the armor and protection. I imagine it gets warm and humid where your at, so I would recommend a mesh type for the air flow. It makes a huge difference. I think I paid $170 for mine, but I'm sure you can find it cheaper online.

Choco

hey guys I'm new to the forums, 1st post, 1st motorcycle and need your help !

I'm looking for some riding gear and I don't really like leather jackets for what I've seen, it's expensive and I guess it can be very warm in summer...

I saw some interesting mesh jackets but I was wondering if it really provided enough protection. I heard some crash stories that weren't saying good things about this type of jackets.

SKINGRAFT PICS - Warning: A bit graphic! : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums (watch out : crash burn pictures)

What do you guys think about mesh jackets ? any suggestions ?

Also, I found the bionic 2 alpinestars jacket very interesting since it can be worn under a jacket and provide extra protection.

Bionic 2 Protection Jacket - Alpinestars Official Store

Any of you ever tried this type of jacket ? think it could provide enough protection under a normal hoody or rain jacket ?

thanks for your help ! :)

toastmaster

Choco--welcome!

If you're planning on riding past the summer, then you will probably need two sets of clothes--summer and rest-of-the-year. For summer gear, yes, you should avoid mesh as these horror stories are true. I have a perforated leather jacket (lots of tiny holes throughout), and it keeps me nice and cool during the summer. For the rest of the year, leather still offers the best abrasion resistance, but you may go for textile if rain is a concern.

The point of jackets/pants is to provide abrasion resistance and crash padding in case of a fall. The A* protector you listed is merely armor; it's not going to resist abrasion, and if you wear it under a hoody and go down, I guarantee that your hoody and skin will be gone. Do your body a favor and buy a real jacket. But, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear the A* protector under the jacket in addition.

gearhead

For those of you wearing perforated leather, what brands are you wearing? Is it comfortable enough in summer? I deal with 100+ degree days for several months here in NorCal. I really need to start wearing more than a t-shirt and jeans, but it's just so stinkin' HOT!!! So what I really want to know is, do you wear this gear during the summer? I mean, really wear it whenever you go out riding?

toastmaster

I wear an Icon jacket (don't remember the model), and the only downside is that it doesn't have a back protector, but I have a wearable one anyway. It has a removable thin liner to regulate the air flow; it's comfortable between 60-90F. I still wear my riding pants (non-summer) so I'm sure I can ride it in more heat if I had proper pants. Beyond that, in general you'll need to do something like wear a drenched towel under your jacket.

pyrocpu

A bit of a sidenote... I have a Fieldsheer jacket (leather) w/ Fieldsheer overpants (textile). I've connected the jacket to the pants via Fieldsheer's zipper system, but only when I've had both of them laying on the bed. Although I successfully put both on while connected, it was a 5min ordeal, a total PITA. Surely there is a better way to connect those two? How do you guys do it??

Heineken

Elite Member

pyrocpu

HA!

As simple as that sounds, I didn't think of that.

Likely too much beer (yes, there is such a thing) as I was writing that post... and it was Heiniken too!!

Anyway, duh, I'll try that. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: