Rider Insurance FTW!!

mechanic1990

I have USAA for my banking and Car loan! I LOVE their service. But I dont appear to be eligible for the insurance. From what I have read on their site is that my wife could get them, but not me. It was her dad that was career Army. Sounds like immediate family of the service member only is eligible??
I have had USAA for my banking and auto insurance for over 20 years. I was eligible because my step-dad is retired Air Force. My wife and kids also have accounts with them because of me.

latony007

Isnt this the same company that everyone was saying is starting to reclassify the FZ6R as a super sport and their rates went way up? im sure there is a thread about it somewhere.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

Yup, I still switched to Rider though. Only cost me $300 for high coverages (full coverage) and low deductible plus accessory and aftermarket parts cost. I'm 40 now though and get a discount for sport bike safe Rider (offsets the increase) .
Damn i wish i could get that out here, $300 a year (or seems like some of you less) for full coverage! Im over 40, have not had my M1 license that long but my liability only costs me about 110 a year. If i wanted full coverage it jumped to 110 a month! thats more than the bike payment. Who would spend more than their payment for insurance thats like paying 100$ to insure $50, makes no sense so liability it is for now.

RedRider

My yearly cost with State Farm is about $360 a year for full coverage (100/300/100) and $500 deductible. I'm over 40, the FZ6R was my first bike ever, and have a good driving record. Progressive and Geico had quoted me $1200 and was like no way. Called State Farm on a whim and they gave me a fantastic deal for whatever reason. @latony007, have you given SF a try?

latony007

My yearly cost with State Farm is about $360 a year for full coverage (100/300/100) and $500 deductible. I'm over 40, the FZ6R was my first bike ever, and have a good driving record. Progressive and Geico had quoted me $1200 and was like no way. Called State Farm on a whim and they gave me a fantastic deal for whatever reason. @latony007, have you given SF a try?
I dont think so but i am going to right now i can tell you that! i tried Geico because i have my cars with them and it was a lot more than progressive. I will try it again. Probably just another instance where everything is triple in Cali lol. Ok not really buy you know what i mean :)

OK I called both State farm and Allstate and basically it was close to the same as progressive if i wanted to switch to full coverage. Which means it went from 340 a year (for 2 bikes liability only on the yamaha and comprehensive on my spyder, no collision on either) to about 1000 a year which again is more than my bike payment so i think i am stuck with liability. Its amazing you can get it for 1/3 the price, Welcome to the expensive state of California :)
However its 70 out and not a cloud in the sky !

Last edited:

RedRider

I'm in SoCal (Orange County). Really odd that I got the deal that I did but I'll take it if they give it [emoji13]

latony007

I'm in SoCal (Orange County). Really odd that I got the deal that I did but I'll take it if they give it [emoji13]
How can that be? Can you give me your agents phone or email. i dont see how this is possible i dont have any points on my record, am about the same age and sounds like we have had our license about the same amount of time.

engineered2win

I have Riders and really enjoyed the 100% increase on my premium, since all of a sudden it is now a sport bike. At least they reclassified the FZ-09 as well. I would have been extremely bitter if my roommate had cheaper insurance on what is essentially a naked super sport with less weight and about 40hp more. Cutting collision dropped my premium back down to around $200/year. I still have comprehensive and high limit liability. Basically I'm covered if it's stolen, hail damage, animal strike, etc., as long as I don't stuff it myself. I have Geico auto insurance, since it's been the cheapest option for years and they wanted $900/year for full coverage. At that point the $500/year for collision coverage will made a decent dent into replacement parts.

I find the pricing absolutely baffling. Why don't they base it on power/weigh ratio or something logical? I can reduce my insurance by buying any bike larger than a 600 that isn't classified as a sport bike. I priced out a KTM 1190 with more than double the power of the 6R and it's cheaper.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

D52

I have Riders and really enjoyed the 100% increase on my premium, since all of a sudden it is now a sport bike. At least they reclassified the FZ-09 as well. I would have been extremely bitter if my roommate had cheaper insurance on what is essentially a naked super sport with less weight and about 40hp more. Cutting collision dropped my premium back down to around $200/year. I still have comprehensive and high limit liability. Basically I'm covered if it's stolen, hail damage, animal strike, etc., as long as I don't stuff it myself. I have Geico auto insurance, since it's been the cheapest option for years and they wanted $900/year for full coverage. At that point the $500/year for collision coverage will made a decent dent into replacement parts.

I find the pricing absolutely baffling. Why don't they base it on power/weigh ratio or something logical? I can reduce my insurance by buying any bike larger than a 600 that isn't classified as a sport bike. I priced out a KTM 1190 with more than double the power of the 6R and it's cheaper.

At least yours was only 100%. Mine went from a steal at $290 to a mind-blowing $690 for 100/300/50 w/ full coverage and a $500 deductible. They weren't exactly very nice when I called, either. (Which was a drastic change compared to my previous interactions with them.) So I just let my money do the talking and dropped them. Same level of coverage with Allstate for $390. I may consider dropping the collision coverage in the future.

Yeah, I argued with their customer support about the reclassification. I said have you ever ridden a stock fz6r? Anyways, once you hit 35 (I think) you can get the sport bike safe Rider discount (15%). Full coverage with minimums would cost me less than $200 I believe. I pay $300 for upgraded coverages and $250 deductible.

It is 35... though even if I did qualify now, I would still be paying less with Allstate.

Emma

I read through this thread and I am appalled at how little y'all are paying for your insurance.

I'm with Progressive and they're charging me over $2,000 a year for full coverage and they are the only ones in my state that offer Motorcycle Insurance.

I'm 45 yo with a clean driving record and they won't give the safe driver discount due to age, you have to have the MSC to get that.

I was also informed that I'm being charged so much because of the "kind" of bike I have.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Ripley

I read through this thread and I am appalled at how little y'all are paying for your insurance.

I'm with Progressive and they're charging me over $2,000 a year for full coverage and they are the only ones in my state that offer Motorcycle Insurance.

I'm 45 yo with a clean driving record and they won't give the safe driver discount due to age, you have to have the MSC to get that.

I was also informed that I'm being charged so much because of the "kind" of bike I have.
I'm few years older than you and I also have Progressive and I don't pay nearly that amount. Mine is about $420/year. My bike is much older, 2009. I'm sure with full coverage on that newer bike would cost more but yours seems really high.

If you don't have an itemized breakdown of the costs, I would request that and see where they are charging you the most. A friend of mine used to live in Mississippi a few years ago and had coverage by Dairyland. Maybe they don't insure motorcycles anymore but it might be a provider to look into to find out. I hope you get it worked out.

Emma

I got to thinking about it and I have a bad feeling that the guy I went through may be charging me an outrageous agent's fee or something.

I'm looking into it a little deeper.

I mean, come on. The only reason it's so high is just because of the "kind of bike it is"? If that were the case, then why does insurance on a Ninja 900 ss cost less than a Yamaha 650?

Rumpig

I got to thinking about it and I have a bad feeling that the guy I went through may be charging me an outrageous agent's fee or something.

I'm looking into it a little deeper.

I mean, come on. The only reason it's so high is just because of the "kind of bike it is"? If that were the case, then why does insurance on a Ninja 900 ss cost less than a Yamaha 650?
Because Yamaha put an "R" for racing on the end, even thou it has 20hp less than the FZ6.
I think I pay around $450 for full coverage here in Oz.

Superzoom

I'm in Ontario, Canada, and as far as I know, no one goes through an agent for insurance for bikes or cars. You deal directly with the insurance company. Having some sort of middleman would seem very odd to me. Unless you mean someone unscrupulous at the insurance agency.

Definitely give your insurance company a call. Rates here in Ontario went shooting up a good 15 to 50% this year for some reason. I called my insurer, chatted with the pleasant person on the phone for a few minutes, she ran some numbers, then took about 10% off my rate, basically for no reason. It's usually worth giving them a call.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member