Review: From FZ6R to Street Triple R

Bert-Aus

The difference a decent fairing (FZ6R) & no fairing is worlds apart.

In traffic there is no difference,
In hills/ canyons is noticable but only slight as you are concentrating on other things,
On highway/ touring the difference vast as your entire body will suffer fatigue sooner without a fairing.

Yes it feels great to lean into the wind,
For a couple hours of ride day fun where you may stop every hour or so for a rest/ eat/ drink etc
...but after 2-3hrs of having to do that & braving yourself against crosswinds & traffic in opposite direction (ie trucks).
It makes a day of 6hrs+ of actual ride time arduous.
To which end you won't enjoy the tour as much.
And this fatigue can make you more susceptible to an accident.

You do still get some helmet buffering from the FZ6R/ XJ6S fairing but compare that to buffering on your entire body,
It takes its toll on you.

Afterall you dont see Sport/ Tourers or Touring bikes being released from factory without screens/ fairings.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

latony007

The difference a decent fairing (FZ6R) & no fairing is worlds apart.

In traffic there is no difference,
In hills/ canyons is noticable but only slight as you are concentrating on other things,
On highway/ touring the difference vast as your entire body will suffer fatigue sooner without a fairing.

Yes it feels great to lean into the wind,
For a couple hours of ride day fun where you may stop every hour or so for a rest/ eat/ drink etc
...but after 2-3hrs of having to do that & braving yourself against crosswinds & traffic in opposite direction (ie trucks).
It makes a day of 6hrs+ of actual ride time arduous.
To which end you won't enjoy the tour as much.
And this fatigue can make you more susceptible to an accident.

You do still get some helmet buffering from the FZ6R/ XJ6S fairing but compare that to buffering on your entire body,
It takes its toll on you.

Afterall you dont see Sport/ Tourers or Touring bikes being released from factory without screens/ fairings.

i agree not going to notice it very much on the streets and only a little in the canyons, on the freeway is another story. I took the screen off my cruiser on a hot day figuring it would give me more wind and i would be more comfy, wrong! it certainly gave me more wind but made it unbearable. The pressure of the wind pushing me back made my back start to hurt after about 2 hours. i know its not a sport bike but assume the principle is the same.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

RooKie

Question for RooKie on this review (or any other generous Street Triple riders). I have been idly looking at the Street Triple for years. Looks like a great bike. I am curious on how you find the wind at extended highway speeds say 60-70 mph and above? and have you added a screen?
Still breaking in the engine, but today I passed 300mi so I was able to get the engine up to speed enough to use freeway and a bit of highway.

Here are some things I noticed...

1 - Highway is scary: As I was accelerating to get up to 70mph I felt as if I was traveling at 80mph+. After a few seconds I started to realized that by placing the balls of the feet on the foot pegs to get a better grip on the tank and leaning forward slightly more made the bike feel more stable with the cross wind.

2 - Freeway not so scary: I noticed that the head-wind is not much of an issue... it's the cross-wind that will wear you out fast. When traveling on the freeway I didn't feel any discomfort from wind blast or anything like that. I actually like it a bit better than with the fairings. The reason for that is I use hand-signals together with the turn signals when making lane changes, and sticking out my hand with the fairings made my arm fight quite a bit of wind. Now I don't have that since there's an even amount of head-wind pressed up against me at all times.

And no, I have not received the flyscreen yet. Will post how much diff it makes, if any, for you when I get it.

Finally, related question - do you find the cross winds any different, since the Street Triple is a lighter bike?
Yes. Not sure if it's because of the weight of the bike or the lower center of gravity, but the bike felt like it was getting moved around quite a bit at higher speeds with a good amount of cross-wind. Slightly more affected by the wind than the 6R.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Buzz, if it is any consolation
I still love my beat to death '81 CB250RS -she was MY first moto
I still love my herbie XJR400 -MY 1st taste of grunt
I regret taking myself & my XJ6S out -she was my first MY BIKE, I modded her, broke her in, I learnt how to ride different techniques on her

I still miss my Nifty50 scooter that started it all for me in 2000

I look forward to sharing my love of bikes with you all in another 14, 20, 30 years.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member